Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 85

Author Topic: [0.97a] Ship/Weapon Pack 1.15.1  (Read 1108422 times)

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9a] Ship/Weapon Pack 1.8.0
« Reply #330 on: December 22, 2018, 01:31:41 PM »

Is there a reason that the Vindicator (S) is so rare? I come across the regular version fairly frequently in markets but I've only ever seen an S variant for sale once, the one I have in my fleet was salvaged from a bounty mission even (Made a lot easier by the AI putting safety overrides on it for some reason). It's not included in the low-tech blueprint pack like the regular version is either.

Lore. The Vindicator (S) - "S" meaning "Stock" - is an older model of the ship with some fairly key differences. In the description, if I recall correctly, the Vindicator (S) was the original production model, but was overhauled into what we now know as the Vindicator later on. The later version is now the standard version, and the original (S) version is a rarity.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 24, 2018, 07:33:22 AM »

How do you go about using the Excelsior?
It doesn't seem to work the same way as other phase ships, in that it's phase cloak instantly turns off as soon as you turn it on. Is it supposed to do that?

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #332 on: December 24, 2018, 07:42:38 AM »

It doesn't seem to work the same way as other phase ships, in that it's phase cloak instantly turns off as soon as you turn it on. Is it supposed to do that?

Excelsior abilities have negative flux cost. Shooting reduces flux (higher flux gives higher-damage shots), cloaking reduces flux and regens armor/hull while active. Venting damages nearby enemies.
Use the ship system to absorb nearby projectiles as flux (be careful not to overload while doing it).

It's really finicky to use, but handled correctly it can do things like HELMUT soloing a Remnant battlestation here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPJK5AyVdPU

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 24, 2018, 07:47:27 AM »

That's... Impressive.
The problem I'm having with it is that I just can't get it to stay cloaked. As soon as I activate the cloak, it instantly deactivates and goes into cooldown.
And I'm a bit confused if it's broken or I'm not doing something I need to etc.

[e]
negative flux cost
Ugh. This is it. It won't stay cloaked because it needs flux to cloak, and it doesn't have any.
This is going to be an interesting experience.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 07:57:12 AM by Serenitis »

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 24, 2018, 01:10:57 PM »

Yeah, you have to generate flux in a different way. The Flux Shunt ship system absorbs nearby projectiles and converts them into flux - this works on both friendly and enemy bullets or missiles, and even asteroids. A lot of the Excelsior's default variants (at least, its 0.8 ones) I believe were based around using its own missiles as "fuel" for that system.

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 24, 2018, 04:53:19 PM »

Putting Plasma Burn on the Zenith was a good idea. It fits the Zenith really well. A bit too well, actually. The combination of Plasma Burn and the 0.9 large energy weapon changes have turned it into an alpha strike monster. It could stand to have less capacity so that when it jumps on and horribly murders something, other ships have a chance to punish possible overextension.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 25, 2018, 06:44:15 AM »

Putting Plasma Burn on the Zenith was a good idea. It fits the Zenith really well. A bit too well, actually. The combination of Plasma Burn and the 0.9 large energy weapon changes have turned it into an alpha strike monster. It could stand to have less capacity so that when it jumps on and horribly murders something, other ships have a chance to punish possible overextension.
i haven't played with it myself yet, but that was my feeling as well. i didn't like the Zenith before, because it was just so lacking in mobility, so i'm really happy with the change. but it might need to get a bit less firepower in return, either through flux stats or through some of its forward-facing weapons having their arcs changed to the side, or something like that.

Drone_Fragger

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 27, 2018, 12:35:10 PM »

The Zenith is pretty nice but I feel it just has too much armour, the shield is good enough (particularly if you take hardened shields) and it's flux pool is deep enough that it seems almost... too much.

Also, I don't know if it's possible but it might be worth adding some of the low tech ships to the pirate blueprint pool? Seems odd that the luddic path will use them, but not pirates.

fatrat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 27, 2018, 01:01:46 PM »

Excelsior abilities have negative flux cost. Shooting reduces flux (higher flux gives higher-damage shots), cloaking reduces flux and regens armor/hull while active. Venting damages nearby enemies.
Use the ship system to absorb nearby projectiles as flux (be careful not to overload while doing it).

It's really finicky to use, but handled correctly it can do things like HELMUT soloing a Remnant battlestation here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPJK5AyVdPU

I am going to go on record and say that's probably one of the most ridiculous things I've seen gaming-wise this year.

Now, i want to see how it does vs a fleet.

cybersol

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 27, 2018, 01:03:46 PM »

Personally I think the Zenith is fine, as it currently costs a whopping 35 DP to recover. A conquest or onslaught at 40 DP will eat it for lunch even now.  

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 29, 2018, 01:49:05 AM »

In the hands of a skilled pilot, the Excelsior is a screaming invincible war-demon for as long as its CR lasts. It does best in the middle of a crowded battlespace with lots of ordnance flying around; pirate and luddic path stations are perfect environments to practice with it, as there's lots of slow high-damage stuff like pilums, piranhas, and hellbores in those fights. I highly recommend giving it Heavy Armor and Reinforced Bulkheads so you've got more of a cushion for mistakes, as one bad overload can turn you into scrap. Expect to explode a lot while learning how to pilot it.

Spess Mahren

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 29, 2018, 04:13:49 AM »

Wanted to ask if having Wall class drones guarding sleepers is intended, I find the guardian far harder to fight making it a better "boss ship" while the Wall can just be flanked and murdered with impunity from the rear with one/two ships to distract.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 29, 2018, 06:18:33 AM »

Never really used it before as it seemed kind of weird, but I'm really digging the Plasma Flamer atm.

Now, i want to see how it does vs a fleet.
Maybe this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thf7NbmMzc8

Spoiler
[close]

Ravenholme

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 29, 2018, 07:12:05 AM »

Wanted to ask if having Wall class drones guarding sleepers is intended, I find the guardian far harder to fight making it a better "boss ship" while the Wall can just be flanked and murdered with impunity from the rear with one/two ships to distract.

I think it is a quirk of how the Cryosleeper is handled, unfortunately. It doesn't have a scripted fleet as such, it just calls upon a Derelict Explorarium Capital - in the base game, this isn't an issue since the Explorarium only have the one Capital, the Guardian. Since SWP adds another, you end up with a coin flip of getting the Guardian or the Wall.

I am not sure that DR can do much about it, unfortunately, but I could be wrong.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #344 on: December 31, 2018, 12:45:44 AM »

I can do something about it, actually, but it's a bit janky. Basically, I just need to define the Wall as a cruiser in the role tables...
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 85