Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 29

Author Topic: [0.97a] Underworld 1.8.3  (Read 653152 times)

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Underworld 1.4.7
« Reply #240 on: January 14, 2021, 01:21:18 PM »

So, started a couple of new games with The Infernal Machine (...a few other mods updated shortly into my first game so I restarted), and I'm finding it fun - and a bit harder of a start than I'd expected - first game I figured "Oh, sure, I can take on that 90k pirate base bounty with my starting fleet," except it turned out to be a midline station's gun section with a good mix of HE and kinetic, and that did not go well for me.

Initial difficulty scales heavily with random factors, though; on my second game, my starting fleet included a Hammerhead - and that one destroyer was the star of the show for a while, better able to handle early small bounty fleets than the unwieldy TIM itself. Compared to my first run, that was a much more capable starting fleet - I think the first time around I got an SWP Albatross instead of the Hammerhead, and it's just not the same.  In retrospect, I should probably have put TIM in storage for a while - that 8k a month in crew cost adds up surprisingly quickly when you don't yet have income from a planet or commission to offset it.

Once you get some upgrades, though, TIM's a proper beast; I've just gotten to upgrading mine with modular fighter bays - currently using interceptors to help with hunting down and finishing off agile frigates.

(I might re-phrase 'removes one random d-mod' in the upgrade options, though. At least from my testing, it seems to remove d-mods in a specific order, always starting with Unreliable Subsystems... as such, I haven't repaired any of TIM's d-mods yet.)

It's also neat to have a solid money-sink that's improving a specific ship rather than the usual colony upgrade business.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 01:40:59 PM by Wyvern »
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #241 on: January 15, 2021, 11:26:03 AM »

Thanks for the feedback!

(I might re-phrase 'removes one random d-mod' in the upgrade options, though. At least from my testing, it seems to remove d-mods in a specific order, always starting with Unreliable Subsystems... as such, I haven't repaired any of TIM's d-mods yet.)

I do have a comment about this though: the random order is fixed in place when you start the save; saving and loading won't change the order, but starting a new game will.  That said, I don't expect people to remove d-mods until at least having cleared the first four upgrades, since the upgrade cost starts to eclipse the cost of removing d-mods.

As you alluded to, I priced the upgrades to encourage a sort of pace for the run, and in the early game the deployment cost reduction from all the d-mods helps keep TIM as a viable flagship.  If the player was encouraged to clear those d-mods right away, they'd lose the cost advantage without adding much actual power to the ship.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 15, 2021, 12:29:54 PM »

Looks like I just got unlucky, then, with both runs picking the same d-mod to start with - I didn't test out the whole sequence, and running that test with my current game & a new game shows that it does work exactly as you said.

...And for my current run the last two d-mods to go are glitched sensor array & faulty power grid. Joy. Guess I'll just ignore the 'remove one d-mod' option and do a full restore at some point. (Since those are the two d-mods that I really want gone, and a full restore costs 1.8m credits while removing d-mods individually would cost me almost 2.3m credits.)

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 19, 2021, 03:13:25 PM »

So, I've gotten my TIM fully upgraded and started playing around with the options.

Terminator Drones: a neat idea, but I don't think I'll actually be using these. Maybe there's some situation where they'd be good, but at least with TIM under player control, I'd rather have a pair of wasp wings than the terminator drones - and that's not even getting into the flexibility of modular fighter bays or the extra ordnance points.
(AI control is a different matter - the AI, given wasps, will cheerfully send them off to die rather than keeping them in close to defend their mothership. An AI-driven TIM might well perform better with terminator drones than wasps.)

Diablo Cannon: I ran with this for quite a while, and would suggest that maybe it should, like the Hellfire Cannon, not auto-fire at fighters? I ended up just putting it as the primary manual-control weapon instead of the ship's missile mounts - and then, just for the convenience factor, stripping the missiles entirely and swapping to light bombers. Still, it's a very viable option.

Infernal Minefield: Still need to do more testing with this. Thematically goes well with the ATC, for that mobile space station feel. Going to be running with this next play session, see how it goes.

Infernal Shield: This one's the game-changer, though; it synergizes well with both the manuevering jets upgrade (so you can get your mobility system going without having to drop shields) and the second modular slots upgrade (since you don't need as much rear-facing firepower/PD when you've got 360 shields, which lets you actually use those rear slots for missiles - or leave them empty and focus on forward firepower now that you've got two large slots that can aim that way.)

...I still find myself skewing towards the ATC upgrade over the maneuvering jets, though, given that the latter comes with an extra range penalty on top of needing to find another 25 ordnance points to install ITU.

Chairman Suryasari

• Captain
  • The Deployer of John Lennon's.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 19, 2021, 06:43:52 PM »

Will we get similar upgradeable ship with Interstellar Imperium in the future?  ;D
"Kids under 13 shouldn't have access to the internet. if 10yo me were on tumblr and read about suicide and depression 5 hours a day, every day, god knows i would jump off a bridge if my parents ever yell at me."

-Some random Youtube comment on video about Sonic OC.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 22, 2021, 11:40:44 AM »

Current conclusion on infernal minefield: it is competitive, at least in fleet engagements (as opposed to fights against starbases where it doesn't seem to do much), but its effects are frequently subtle and less directly obvious than the infernal shield.

There are some ships that it doesn't really work against - the simulator's onslaught, for example, has a front shield and enough PD that it just about ignores the mines - but it causes real problems for anything with an omni shield (that's now facing towards the mine instead of towards your guns) or anything that's got weak point-defense. Frigates in its range will occasionally just explode. And - much to my surprise - I haven't (yet, at least) seen it cause any friendly-fire incidents. (Edit: Two fights later I ended up with a pair of holes in my own armor from the mines. Still, the friendly-fire levels it causes are relatively low.)

Will we get similar upgradeable ship with Interstellar Imperium in the future?  ;D
Given the Imperium's fancy ship-system-changing hullmods... we kinda do already?

I mean, okay, I wouldn't turn down more ships with story-level upgrades to them. And you could probably make a pretty good story about an AI-upgraded vessel, especially next patch with the ability to have actual AI-core-piloted ships in your fleet. But in terms of just versatile upgrade options for its ships, the Imperium is pretty set already.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 12:38:33 PM by Wyvern »

Shadow39344

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 18, 2021, 04:03:20 PM »

even if you win, you lose

[attachment deleted by admin]

Chairman Suryasari

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 18, 2021, 04:26:44 PM »

It is cheaper to buy them a couple of happy juices instead playing a dice roll with them. Increasing relation with them is painful and slow waiting game, but it is well worth it when you can buy their blueprint.
"Kids under 13 shouldn't have access to the internet. if 10yo me were on tumblr and read about suicide and depression 5 hours a day, every day, god knows i would jump off a bridge if my parents ever yell at me."

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #248 on: February 18, 2021, 04:51:24 PM »

peppermeth

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 20, 2021, 06:36:43 PM »

Is this mod "already started campaign" compatible?

Chairman Suryasari

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 20, 2021, 09:27:03 PM »

I think it is, well, some content like faction and custom market will not spawn, but the rest of the ship should start appearing after a couple of weeks.

Half-full

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 27, 2021, 12:11:51 PM »

Hi, I love your work and this mod. I checked around the thread and the mod files but do not see an option for this so I'm posting here. Is it possible that in the future the mod can be setup so attacking the Cabal doesn't affect my character's reputation either as much or at all with TT? Getting to market with TT is quite difficult with the Cabal around to begin with.

Piemanlives

• Commander
  • I've Got This, I think...
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 28, 2021, 12:45:19 AM »

Hi, I love your work and this mod. I checked around the thread and the mod files but do not see an option for this so I'm posting here. Is it possible that in the future the mod can be setup so attacking the Cabal doesn't affect my character's reputation either as much or at all with TT? Getting to market with TT is quite difficult with the Cabal around to begin with.
That was fixed like... a year ago dude.
This is called me throwing my missile swarm at you, and by swarm I mean massacre, and by missiles... I actually just mean missiles, there's actually not much to it really.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #253 on: February 28, 2021, 12:49:00 AM »

In case you were using a recent version, can you explain specifically what you did and in what circumstances you did it?  Cabal fleets should not affect reputation with non-Cabal factions.

Chairman Suryasari

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 28, 2021, 09:40:34 AM »

Maybe, just maybe, he try to chasing a cabal fleet and suddenly it turn into Tri-tachyon fleet right before he start a battle with them.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 29