Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Underworld 1.4.7  (Read 279963 times)

Ali

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: [0.9.1a] Underworld 1.4.7
« Reply #240 on: January 11, 2021, 02:27:30 PM »

YES!!!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Why do i have to work the rest of the week damn it!!  :'( :'( :'(

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 14, 2021, 01:21:18 PM »

So, started a couple of new games with The Infernal Machine (...a few other mods updated shortly into my first game so I restarted), and I'm finding it fun - and a bit harder of a start than I'd expected - first game I figured "Oh, sure, I can take on that 90k pirate base bounty with my starting fleet," except it turned out to be a midline station's gun section with a good mix of HE and kinetic, and that did not go well for me.

Initial difficulty scales heavily with random factors, though; on my second game, my starting fleet included a Hammerhead - and that one destroyer was the star of the show for a while, better able to handle early small bounty fleets than the unwieldy TIM itself. Compared to my first run, that was a much more capable starting fleet - I think the first time around I got an SWP Albatross instead of the Hammerhead, and it's just not the same.  In retrospect, I should probably have put TIM in storage for a while - that 8k a month in crew cost adds up surprisingly quickly when you don't yet have income from a planet or commission to offset it.

Once you get some upgrades, though, TIM's a proper beast; I've just gotten to upgrading mine with modular fighter bays - currently using interceptors to help with hunting down and finishing off agile frigates.

(I might re-phrase 'removes one random d-mod' in the upgrade options, though. At least from my testing, it seems to remove d-mods in a specific order, always starting with Unreliable Subsystems... as such, I haven't repaired any of TIM's d-mods yet.)

It's also neat to have a solid money-sink that's improving a specific ship rather than the usual colony upgrade business.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 01:40:59 PM by Wyvern »
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
    • Email
« Reply #242 on: January 15, 2021, 11:26:03 AM »

Thanks for the feedback!

(I might re-phrase 'removes one random d-mod' in the upgrade options, though. At least from my testing, it seems to remove d-mods in a specific order, always starting with Unreliable Subsystems... as such, I haven't repaired any of TIM's d-mods yet.)

I do have a comment about this though: the random order is fixed in place when you start the save; saving and loading won't change the order, but starting a new game will.  That said, I don't expect people to remove d-mods until at least having cleared the first four upgrades, since the upgrade cost starts to eclipse the cost of removing d-mods.

As you alluded to, I priced the upgrades to encourage a sort of pace for the run, and in the early game the deployment cost reduction from all the d-mods helps keep TIM as a viable flagship.  If the player was encouraged to clear those d-mods right away, they'd lose the cost advantage without adding much actual power to the ship.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 15, 2021, 12:29:54 PM »

Looks like I just got unlucky, then, with both runs picking the same d-mod to start with - I didn't test out the whole sequence, and running that test with my current game & a new game shows that it does work exactly as you said.

...And for my current run the last two d-mods to go are glitched sensor array & faulty power grid. Joy. Guess I'll just ignore the 'remove one d-mod' option and do a full restore at some point. (Since those are the two d-mods that I really want gone, and a full restore costs 1.8m credits while removing d-mods individually would cost me almost 2.3m credits.)
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]