Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: [0.81a] StarSector AI Overhaul, Alpha 0.91a  (Read 87698 times)

RazorTS

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.81a] StarSector AI Overhaul, Alpha 8.6
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2017, 11:48:09 AM »

looking forward to test it

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Re: [0.81a] StarSector AI Overhaul, Alpha 8.6
« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2017, 11:51:29 AM »

Thanks!  I know it's a little rough in spots, but it's gradually getting good and last night's test looked very promising :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.81a] StarSector AI Overhaul, Alpha 8.7
« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2017, 10:33:32 PM »

Version 0.87a has been released.

Features:

1.  Warning code to catch people not installing LazyLib, etc.

2.  Revamped Autofire control systems: better range-detection algorithm and improvements to performance and Flux usage.

3.  Missile Launcher AIs (finally).  Warning; due to some stuff with how this had to be designed under the hood (essentially, the game isn't letting me look at MissileAPIs directly from WeaponAPIs without tortuous, probably-buggy workarounds) this won't work completely transparently with Vanilla... yet.  But it works well with the Rebal Mod.

4.  Burn Drive sub-AI is no longer quite so inclined to insane charges.

5.  Reckless Captains aren't quite so crazy about diving into fights.

The AI feels quite a bit smarter, this time; I think the next build I'll take another look at working on a Phase Cloak AI that doesn't completely suck.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 10:36:24 PM by xenoargh »
Xeno's Mod Pack

Death_Silence_66

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2017, 05:16:31 PM »

Issue with carriers, fighters completely ignore regroup orders and do not attack targeted ships. Instead they seem to pick their own targets at will. Additionally, bombers and missile armed fighters have weird missile launching AI. Sometimes they just fly straight at the target and don't launch while other times the fire at the first ship in range.

All tested with vanilla ships and fighters. Just loaded up coral nebula.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2017, 07:59:39 PM »

Hmm.  Two different issues there; I know exactly what's wrong with the missile-launching and that's easy to fix, but the Fighter AI situation's a little complicated, because Fighters apparently aren't getting Orders passed to them any more, so they'll need to get orders from their Carrier. 

I'll take a look and see what can be done.
Xeno's Mod Pack

Death_Silence_66

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2017, 08:44:04 PM »

I don't know how clear this was, Im refering to the Regroup/Engage function all carriers have rather than actual orders.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.81a] StarSector AI Overhaul, Alpha 8.8
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2017, 08:27:03 AM »

Alpha 8.8 is now available.

Supports "blacklisting" of hull ids, to allow modders to selectively:

1.  Not use the ship AI.
2.  Also not use the weapon / System AIs.

An example is in the mod of how to do this- see data/ai_config/blacklist.json to see how to blacklist a specific hull id.  See the example in the release, where the Hyperion has been blacklisted (it won't stay that way forever, but I figured it was a pretty safe ship to remove from the AI for now).

This should resolve the bugs reported here, once that mod has been updated with the blacklist properly.

Modders, please be aware that blacklisting a hull has performance implications, especially if there are a large number of ships involved.  Don't do this willy-nilly, basically; just for really weird cases where you've implemented a very specific AI yourselves.  Generally speaking, if you're having problems with a System AI or other behavior issues when this mod interacts with yours, you should report them here for a fix, not blacklist the ships; in this case it was the best way to resolve the issues, because of the odd way the "shield" stuff was done.

I'm still working on the fighter / carrier AI issues.  Don't worry, this hasn't been forgotten; I've worked on some of the issues.  It's just not polished yet.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 11:37:18 AM by xenoargh »
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.81a] StarSector AI Overhaul, Alpha 0.9a
« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2017, 09:09:05 AM »

Alpha 0.9a is now available.

Features:

Fighters of certain types (BOMBER, ASSAULT, SUPPORT) will now obey explicit orders to attack a ship's current target.  INTERCEPTOR and FIGHTER types will still pick their targets independently like they've been doing.

Fighters can now be ordered to guard their Carrier.  AI Carriers don't bother using this command at this time, but may in the future if they're being threatened.  I tried an early version of this out and wasn't terribly happy with how it yanked fighters away from doing damage to the collective enemy fleet, so I will think about this problem a little more.

This should resolve most of the, "I can't give my fighters orders" issues without subordinating the independent fighters that need to stay free to intercept things; if you want to coordinate a bomber strike, this certainly works and the AI occasionally uses this to devastating effect now ;)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Death_Silence_66

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2017, 05:47:20 PM »

The issue with carriers seems partially fixed. While bombers don't wander off the instant they have a target, when you select one as a carrier they disregard the regroup command. Additionally, the AI of fighters as a whole seems strange.

Spoiler
Bombers not launching despite having a clear shot at the side of a dominator
[close]

Spoiler
Bombers not launching despite having a perfectly clear shot and a perfect approach
[close]

Spoiler
More of the same
[close]

Spoiler
AAAAAAAA
[close]

Bombers sometimes do a strange dance, flying over their target and firing when they clear the opposite side. This is very common with torpedo bombers, but happens to a lesser degree with others. They seem to have a large emphasis on flanking or circling their target as well. They also don't use all their weapons at once, wasting their huge alpha strike and instead firing at seemingly random times.

While testing I also saw some less than ideal missile behavior

Spoiler
Dominator launching harpoons the instant they reload against talons...
[close]

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 26, 2017, 09:34:30 AM »

Yeah, that's not ideal, I'll check it out :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

RazorTS

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 30, 2017, 03:49:34 AM »

At last had time to check new version out,

• Autofire AI seems to be broken, weapons very reluctant to shoot at anything, missiles target wrong targets;
  • Friendly ships hover just out of range and do not engage, enemies seem to engage but are hampered by autofire bugs;
  • Then they come in close and ram you, if they have movement abilities they will use it to ram you ;D
  • Shooting dumb torpedoes at you seems fine to AI;

Ship movement is kinda better, just need to fix cowardly captain AI and autofire issues

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 02, 2017, 12:50:23 AM »

I'll look into the autofire issues.  I don't really see the weapons not engaging when testing, though; can you give me a specific example using a Vanilla ship where I can replicate this?  About the only thing I can think of that might look strange, off-hand, is the behavior with the Dominator's fixed-forward guns, which is, admittedly, wonky; I think I need to write a specific solution for fixed-forward weapons at some point soon, they're kind of a special case.

The friendly ships are being cowardly because they're hugely out-numbered, in most cases; I'll adjust the aggressiveness up a little more, but it's a fine line between "too little" and "too much".

The ramming-by-movement stuff is pretty intentional; Burn Drive, for example, is powerful when the AI uses it to close and kill you.  But if there are some specific situations where it shouldn't be running, let me know and I'll see if I can make it smarter :)

The issues with missiles in general still need another look; essentially, if you're not using the Rebalance Pack, it's not behaving as intended.  I need to write a more generalized approach to missiles that doesn't need specific AI flags to determine behaviors; that's in the plan for the next build.

Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.81a] StarSector AI Overhaul, Alpha 0.91a
« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2018, 07:18:25 AM »

Version 0.91a released.

Addressed the issues with Fighters people pointed out, albeit in a different way than Vanilla handles it.  Your bombers / torpedo craft will engage properly, etc.

Missile use is a little smarter.

Auto-fire issues have been checked out; I couldn't identify any serious issues with that code.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 07:27:16 AM by xenoargh »
Xeno's Mod Pack

Protoman

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2018, 12:31:18 AM »

At last had time to check new version out,

• Autofire AI seems to be broken, weapons very reluctant to shoot at anything, missiles target wrong targets;
  • Friendly ships hover just out of range and do not engage, enemies seem to engage but are hampered by autofire bugs;
  • Then they come in close and ram you, if they have movement abilities they will use it to ram you ;D
  • Shooting dumb torpedoes at you seems fine to AI;

Ship movement is kinda better, just need to fix cowardly captain AI and autofire issues
I am having the exact same issues.
Mods Used:
AutoSave
Blackrock Drive Yards
Combat Chatter
DIABLEAVIONICS
GLib
LazyLib
JunkPirates
Nexerelin
Shadowyards
*This Mod*
Steiner Foundation
Version checker

Drones also do this as well, looks like they get into range and just dont pull the trigger.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 12:39:17 AM by Protoman »

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 08, 2018, 08:46:45 AM »

Hmm.  Dunno why it's not working for you with those mods enabled; I'll have to see if I can replicate.  Probably one of those mods is interfering with it somehow.
Xeno's Mod Pack
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7