Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Weapon Styles  (Read 4822 times)

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Weapon Styles
« on: April 16, 2016, 07:05:06 PM »

I think it might be cool if weapons could have different appearances based on the ship they were on. It would make weapon identification a little harder, but I don't think it would be that big a deal because, after all, they still shoot the same.

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon Styles
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 04:10:29 PM »

Like a colour palette? Like how RTSs distinguish a faction's units with several visible areas coloured and like how EVE Online alters the colourations of turrets to suit the ship's paintjob that they're mounted on?

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 10:58:26 PM »

That (color-shift) would be pretty easy to implement, but would result in a lot of sameness, because it'd require some specific palette or whatnot to avoid silly things when tinted. 

I'm not sure I like this idea, though- making the guns look more like the ships, in terms of color, would make them blend in more and thus be pretty confusing visually.  RTS's usually get away with this because they're 3D; in a 2D presentation, it would be less amenable and we do care about being able to tell what weapons are what.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Machine

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 07:03:42 AM »

I don't see much problem, mount covers are already tinted. Meanwhile that should be easy (I guess), weapon sprites have more colors than the covers, so it might look odd.

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 11:18:16 AM »

That (color-shift) would be pretty easy to implement, but would result in a lot of sameness, because it'd require some specific palette or whatnot to avoid silly things when tinted. 

I'm not sure I like this idea, though- making the guns look more like the ships, in terms of color, would make them blend in more and thus be pretty confusing visually.  RTS's usually get away with this because they're 3D; in a 2D presentation, it would be less amenable and we do care about being able to tell what weapons are what.

I mean... I quite like the sameness personally. I like factions that have weapons to fit their style. Like SHI, or the Hiigarans or the NGO. Problems would arise with kitbashed weaponry though, like what's found on the Bushi with many of their weapons using the Burst PD chassis with different hurty bits sticking out.

But the idea of ships uniformly having a primary/secondary/tertiary paint could be nice for all those ships that are paintjobs of current vanilla ships with improved statlines. Then those paintjobs would match the faction using them. The monstrous flying station that the Luddic Church/Path get from SS+, painted in the striking green/white/red or green/black/red of the Luddites. And if you capture one, then you could have them all hot frigging pink if that's what you wanted your fleet to be coloured. *shrug*

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 01:55:26 PM »

I mostly meant this so modded factions that are way out there with their color scheme could have their weapons look more tame on vanilla ships. Some mod weapons look strange on vanilla ships and some vanilla weapons look strange on some mod ships.

I don't think most weapons should have alternate sprites. It's only a few that don't look right.

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 02:31:40 PM »

I think most vanilla weapons looks strange. Hardpoint variants are usually just squished versions of the turret and the weapons all have their own colourations and few things really have a matching style. The HAG is a bright yellow, the MkIV autocannon is brown, the Gauss is silver and copper. At least for the most part, high tech weapons look in place on high tech ships, being all shades of blues and whites with outliers like the ion weapons and the Tachyon.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 09:46:11 AM »

I think most vanilla weapons looks strange. Hardpoint variants are usually just squished versions of the turret and the weapons all have their own colourations and few things really have a matching style. The HAG is a bright yellow, the MkIV autocannon is brown, the Gauss is silver and copper. At least for the most part, high tech weapons look in place on high tech ships, being all shades of blues and whites with outliers like the ion weapons and the Tachyon.

Yes, quite true.

What I been thinking was maybe there should be "covers" on some ships. Like say an onslaught might have armor cover hanging over, on as an alternative, built on top of the mounted weapon. The front of an eagle might only show the barrel of the gun mounted on the hard points.

It definitely will give it less of a arcade-y sort of feel to it.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 01:31:11 AM »

Kind of like how SSP made universal ships have multiple hulls that match different tech levels thematically?
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then