Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fun and funny ship setups!  (Read 5608 times)

BonhommeCarnaval

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Fun and funny ship setups!
« on: February 22, 2012, 12:34:52 PM »

Finally bought the game, couldn't resist after 0.5 came out, guess I'll just buy it again on Steam if it gets there lol.

Ok so as the title says, this thread is for sharing your most fun and your funniest ship setups. Inspired by the fact that I just came up with one, of course, so I'll start it off :

Setup : Oops I Dropped Something (oh wait they're bombs, there goes your face!).
Ship : Lasher-class Frigate
Weapons : 5x Standard Bomb Bays. You'll probably need to scrap some Piranha bombers to get them, either after a battle or by buying them and scuttling them. I leave the missile slots empty.
Hull mods : Augmented Engines, Auxiliary Thrusters, Expanded Magazines. Optionally you can also get extended shields like I do but it's not necessary for the purpose.

How it works : Congratulations, you are now a giant piranha bomber with awesome speed :D. I recommend a veteran or elite crew for moar speed! Works best if you have a partner in crime to serve as a distraction, for which I use an AI controlled Tempest frigate. Once enemies are spotted, open your map, target a fat juicy enemy and put the pedal to the metal. The bombs use your own momentum to hit their target so it can take a bit of practice. Releasing the bombs from very close range makes it easier to aim and you can use your shield to avoid taking damage if you crash into your target.

I've flown almost every ship and this setup has to be in the top 3 for most fun AND funniest to fly.

Alright, tell me what you think and share your own interesting setups.  :)

EDIT : Another way to use this ship, mostly in small engagements (the ones with no control points) is to get max speed towards the north and start dropping all your bombs, once your forces meet the enemy, they will get carpet bombed to hell. Also unrelated : since you can fly "through" fighters, you can kill them easily by dropping your bombs while you're on top of them (which isn't too hard because you're very fast).
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 01:07:59 PM by BonhommeCarnaval »
Quote from: Archduke Astro
One of you exhibits humility-impairment syndrome
Aww, you so sweet!

Dreyven

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Fun and funny ship setups!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 01:12:39 PM »

"The Tentacle Brawler"
This ship is named after the 8 Laser Tentacles that stretch out in every direction as soon as anything comes close to it.
It is designed to take on everything in 1v1 combat, even the largest Vessels.

Ship: Medusa-class Destroyer
Weapons: 2 Tactical Lasers in the front mounted on the Hardpoints
              6 Tactical Lasers mounted on the Turrets, set on autofire
Hull Mods: Hardened Shields
20 Vents and 18 Capacitors

600 flux dissipation
600 flux/second via weapons
120 flux/second via shield
7800 flux capacity
only 0.4 points per flux/dmg taken
just fly up to a big ship, shoot at it, and let it shoot at you, it will reach it's flux capacity much faster then you
if needed you can stop firing to stop your flux from raising completly
it's also a quite fast ship
and the tactical lasers are quite good against fighters too, they are very precise

Pentakill

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 02:12:44 PM »

My Flagship "Grim"

Class:Aurora

Loadout:
4 Sabot SRM, 1 Cyclone Reaper Launcher, 3 pulse lasers, 4 LR PD Lasers, 1 Burst PD Laser
27 in Vents, Expanded Missile Racks, Auxiliary Thrusters

This build is crazy, seriously. Enter any battle with this ship and a pile of fighters, assault the two close points with your fighters, once they're captured remove the defend order on them and assault the two far points, and in the mean time fly straight for mid field, bringing in medium and small ships as needed. The small army you've quickly pooled will kill any and all fighters and frigates leaving you to handle the one or two larger ships they had time to bring out. If there's only 1 ship against you line up at it going full speed, wait till you're about 800 range away then fire ALL of your Sabots and spam as many Reapers as possible. Within 2-4 seconds you will witness 12 sabots going right through all the PD they can muster, destroying any shields, and seconds later the white screen of win as your Reapers hit one after the other.
The pile of PD is actually a very effective way to finish off any downed ship as the pulse lasers are deceptively strong too. 

BonhommeCarnaval

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 07:06:52 AM »

I just found out there exists some apparently very rare weapon called a Frag Bomb Launcher. If you get those then my setup becomes even more hilarious! I only found 2 of them for sale in the station so if anyone knows of any ship that uses them, please let me know.
Quote from: Archduke Astro
One of you exhibits humility-impairment syndrome
Aww, you so sweet!

Bartcheeks

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 09:45:55 AM »

Hahaha thank you bonhomme, for the epic giant piranha setup, only gripes I had was that the bombs wouldn't last more than 3-5 kills even with expanded mags.
What I did was to use a Medusa, and fitted the 3 back mounts with light mgs, and started facing my butt to the enemy after I ran out of bombs. I also found that the best strategy was to ram the enemy ships and than release the bombs in their face :P
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 09:48:24 AM by Bartcheeks »

Paul

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 10:01:02 AM »

I don't think any ships currently use the frag bomb bay or cluster bomb bay, so you'd need to either play straight for a while until you get some convoys delivering random weapons (every even numbered convoy comes with random weapons, but save/load resets the convoy number due to the way its currently setup) or use a mod.

Cluster bomb bay is better imo. It really fills the sky with bombs. Flying my modified Medusa from my mod (named Gorgon class) loaded with 7 cluster bomb bays and two heavy needlers is hilarious. The heavy needlers quickly down shields, then the swarm of cluster bombs shred the hulls. Removing all the point defense makes it harder to go against fleets with lots of missiles, though.

Kahabut

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 01:42:27 PM »

Take a Hyperion.  Put Anti-matter in the turrets, and pulse lasers in the front.  Strip the missiles and put everything else into vents/cap.  With this ship alone, I can take nearly any destroyer and everything smaller. 

I can't remember the name of the TriTach cap ship with 4 large energy mounts (aurora?) anyway, fit all 4 with Lances, fit everything else with LRMs and Beam weapons.  Put the Advanced optics hull mod on, and tons of vents/cap.  Now go pilot something really fast, and scout targets for your new long range bombardment ship.  It's especially potent on those lone fighter wings trying to steal your control points.  Now if only there were a way to designate targets.

cardgame

• Commander
  • Sonic Rainboom
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 01:48:32 PM »

Pulse lasers drain way too much flux for the damage output.

Dreyven

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 03:03:16 PM »

Take a Hyperion.  Put Anti-matter in the turrets, and pulse lasers in the front.  Strip the missiles and put everything else into vents/cap.  With this ship alone, I can take nearly any destroyer and everything smaller. 

Pulse lasers aren't bad, but together with the Anti matters it is waaay too much for even the Hyperion.
I recommend 2 Pulse lasers and 2 small PD burst lasers.
With all the flux vents and shields down you can fire for about 15 seconds before reaching high flux, while outranging most other weapons. (for fighting against big things)
Pulse lasers are the way to go because they are good against fighters and deal damage reasonable fast.

But the Tentacle Brawler outmatches the Hyperion by far.
Sure, higher size ship but still cheaper.

Kahabut

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 03:25:52 PM »

Pulse lasers drain way too much flux for the damage output.

That kinda depends, they aren't great against armor, but the flux cost vs flux damage to shields is a pretty good ratio. 

I use the pulse lasers on fighters and shields, and finish everything with AM.