Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Using ai for flagship and where's the most up to date manual?  (Read 2287 times)

temetvince

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Hey, just bought this game and while it looks amazing, it's extremely overwhelming. So two questions:

1. How badly will it hurt me to set all my ships (including flagship) to ai control for the battles?
2. Where is the most up to date manual or player help? The post for the community manual listed in the faq said it was last edited in 2013.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Using ai for flagship and where's the most up to date manual?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 06:03:20 PM »

If you want an AI controlled fleet then 3 things:

1) Make sure they have the longest ranged weapons you can put on them
2) Make sure they have very good flux vent speed
3) Make sure they are nice and fast/agile

Hullmods and officer skills can fix up the flux vent and movement speed.

Copperwire

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 11:16:08 PM »

1. Longest range is not necessary.  Equal range is fine.  Longer then most variants you are fighting ... so 600 + something (ICU, pilot skills, etc) is icing on the cake.

2. The AI is bad at active venting and flux management.  So, passive venting and flux efficient weapons are best.

3.  Speed/Agility is KING.  Matters more then range.

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 05:16:00 AM »

Personally I think it's better to give the AI ships that are very hard to take down like Dominators and Enforcers. They're very bad at venting so with an agile ship, they always get destroyed by a harpoon salvo when they're near max flux. The AI is actually very good at this and it almost got me a lot of times. A good AI fleet would be Onslaught, Dominators, Enforcers, and possibly a few Omens. Although they're very fragile and tend to venture way too close even with cautious officer and no weapons, only PD.

BHunterSEAL

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 07:14:16 AM »

If I know I'm going to be spending most of the battle messing with the tac map, I tend to make my carrier the flagship and park it behind a nebula off to the side somewhere. Enabling AI control and assigning it to a "Rally Carrier" waypoint generally keeps it in the right place for quick squadron turnarounds, unless a serious threat forces it to withdraw. It's usually a wandering Lasher or Kite that happens by, which can be a problem if you're using an early-game carrier like the Condor or Gemini. I've found that keeping a Shepherd (drone frigate) close by is both dirt cheap in terms of purchase / support costs and surprisingly effective at deterring probing frigates, even paired with mostly PD-armed carriers. Not to kill anything, obviously, but to help keep the AI carrier on-station.