Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What's the friendly fleet battle assistance range/conditions for helping?  (Read 3418 times)

NightKev

• Commander
    • View Profile

Pretty much "see title". It seems inconsistent to me, but that's probably because I have no idea what the rules are governing this.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

You need to have your transponder on, and they need to either be friendly with you, or be hostile to your enemies, or both. And be within a certain range.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile

Also trade fleets won't help. Neither will any fleet that's already in combat, or executing certain assignments (which ones isn't obvious to the player, unfortunately).

NightKev

• Commander
    • View Profile

or executing certain assignments
Is the "Orbiting the player" action/assignment one of these? I've rarely if ever managed to get a fleet to help out in battles when using the "Follow Me" command which seems like it defeats the purpose of using it.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile

You need to have your transponder on, and they need to either be friendly with you, or be hostile to your enemies, or both. And be within a certain range.

Is the 'certain range' dependent upon any factors?
e.g.
Number of ships involved in the encounter?

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile

or executing certain assignments
Is the "Orbiting the player" action/assignment one of these? I've rarely if ever managed to get a fleet to help out in battles when using the "Follow Me" command which seems like it defeats the purpose of using it.
For the first day after the fleet receives the command, it uses ORBIT_PASSIVE which makes it follow the player fleet and not get distracted. It won't assist your fleet during this time. (Mostly this part is here so you can forcibly pull away a fleet trying to run off on its own by using the ability repeatedly)

For the remaining 9 days it uses ORBIT_AGGRESSIVE, where it will help your fleet. It will also run off to chase any random squirrel it sees.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to think of a fix for this.

NightKev

• Commander
    • View Profile

Ah, alright, so I just have to delay the battle after using that for about a day. Hopefully I can use this more effectively now.