Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Galactic Economic Collapse  (Read 17724 times)

Tomn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Galactic Economic Collapse
« on: May 28, 2011, 11:26:12 AM »

So I happened to read the blog post with the backstory and all that lately, and I have a question.  The tone of the backstory is bleak, and seems to portend an inevitable slide downwards because no matter what anyone tries to do, there aren't enough resources and advanced tech is slowly drying up as attrition takes its toll.  All very grimdark and gritty.

So my question is this: Would it be hypothetically possible, in the full game, to either intentionally or accidentally ruin the sector beyond repair, with all planets decivilizing, all factories shutting down and getting destroyed, all factions taken apart as they are no longer able to maintain themselves, fleets scuttling en masse due to lack of planetary supplies, and in general just seeing everything go boom?  Possibly either through economic jiggery or just a war that proves so immensely costly that the economy gives out under the weight.

Just a bit curious, given that the tone of the backstory seems to point to inevitable desolation at some point in the future.

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
Re: Galactic Economic Collapse
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 11:30:08 AM »

It has been 200 cycles+ since the gates shut down, and judging by the high tech stuff present, that the sector has a functional economy and technology development going on, though I would definitly imagine it would be possible to completely destroy the sector... though it would likely be difficult (as you would have every major ffaction to contend with)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 11:43:40 AM »

The major factions will likely do a good job of making the sector go boom on their own by continuing their petty enmities and selfish, short-sighted behavior. Actually, less of a boom and more of a whimper by the end, as the last core worlds are cut off from their outposts and slowly decivilize as vital supplies run out.

The sector definitely has a functional economy, it's just that certain things are irreplaceable - in particular, core worlds. It'll take quite a bit for one of these to decivilize (or be wiped out), but once it happens there is no going back - and the sector is one step closer to total ruin.

You, the player, can either make the situation deteriorate faster for large short-term gains, or fight against entropy and maintain the status quo. The latter is considerably less profitable, but has brighter long-term prospects. Of course, you'll be able to mix the two however you please :)

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 11:50:08 AM »

Is it possible to re-civilize a world? It would probably be very costly and time consuming, but if you could protect it and it had some kind of serious value to it, it could be profitable in the long run, given the supplies and abilities.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 11:52:29 AM »

Is it possible to re-civilize a world? It would probably be very costly and time consuming, but if you could protect it and it had some kind of serious value to it, it could be profitable in the long run, given the supplies and abilities.

Well, we'll have to see how it plays out to say for sure. At this point though, I'm thinking no. Decivilized worlds play a large role in the sector and have some special mechanics planned that I don't want to reveal quite yet.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 11:58:01 AM »

oh ok, but for that matter, civilizing/colonizing new worlds? I'm thinking though that it would again still depend on the same mechanics as re-civilizing worlds, and so dependent on if that made it in or not.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 12:04:07 PM »

You can establish outposts for mining/research/military purposes etc, and these can get quite large.

Core worlds, though, are another matter altogether - we're talking millions, and in a few cases, billions in population, and moving those numbers of people around and establishing the infrastructure required is outside the timescale of the game.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 12:08:53 PM »

ah ok... ;)

So would it be possible to establish an empire of 'outposts' (and stations maybe?), essentially being able to rely entirely on an interconnected web of disposable colonies rather than putting all your eggs into a single basket? It would probably be a pain to manage, given the logistical tasks, but it would likely be safer than having an empire centered around a core world (capture or otherwise) - though individual colonies would be much easier to lose than a single core world, you would lose much less by losing a colony/outpost.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 12:24:14 PM »

Yep. In fact, taking over a core world would be an extremely significant undertaking, and you'd need a well-maintained network of outposts to keep it afloat besides.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 12:40:33 PM »

Cool!

I am SO pumped for this game! :D

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 12:44:21 PM »

:D

Darkreaver1980

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 12:45:43 PM »

How much $$$ would the devs need to switch to fulltime developement?  ;D

Realy, i dont want the next Call of Duty game or the 7. Gothic one. I already had more fun with starfarer than with some full price games!

My current top 3 must have games:

1. Diablo 3
2. Starfarer
3. Sword of the Stars 2

i wonder how you get new stuff for your ships in starfarer, buy it from planets/station or even research em yourself? How do you get ships? construct em at shipyards?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 12:50:37 PM by Darkreaver1980 »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 01:34:29 PM »

... switch to fulltime developement?  ;D

I might possibly have something to say about this matter in a week's time or so :)

My current top 3 must have games:

1. Diablo 3
2. Starfarer
3. Sword of the Stars 2

i wonder how you get new stuff for your ships in starfarer, buy it from planets/station or even research em yourself? How do you get ships? construct em at shipyards?

SF is in good company, then!  Re: new stuff - too early to say for sure, but probably all of the above. Buy/loot to start, manufacture when/if you've got some industry going - assuming that's a direction you wanted to take your character.

Darkreaver1980

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2011, 01:45:54 PM »

Now that would be awesome! Destroying ships to get ship modules/weapons out of it! Each part should have a random chance to be droped intact, maybe 10% chance per module, so its not that easy to get it. It should be automaticaly, so after a battle, you get a summary screen with all the stuff you got from the battle. Imagine you have no money/ressources to build any decent ship, so you need to use your looted parts and make the best ship possible out of it :)

I realy hope you include some kind of "Shivan Juggernaut", basicaly some endgame hull type that is realy big with lots of slots, kinda like a superweapon, hellish expensive to get. If this would be my game, i would make it so that you need to collect "parts" across the galaxy to get some kind of blueprint to be able to build it.

i would also suggest to include random events like in sword of the stars, it had some epic random events, like a frigging starkiller apeared and all players needed to ally temporary to have a chance to destroy it, before it anhilates half of the galaxy :D
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 01:52:21 PM by Darkreaver1980 »

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2011, 03:21:38 PM »

what, someone figures out how to construct a galaxy gun?  ;)
Could be something interesting to mod in... stopping the construction of it... and perhaps finishing it yourself (should you be able to defend it)

As to research... unless you magically managed to add in... procedural hulls and weapons, which would be like, the most ridiculously unfeasible thing ever, short of curing world hunger as a function of the game, I would imagine that research (if included) could/would allow you to get better performance out of weapons or shields or engines or whatnot?
Pages: [1] 2