Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [0.7.2.a] WIP: Player Stats 0.1.0  (Read 5369 times)

hqz

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
[0.7.2.a] WIP: Player Stats 0.1.0
« on: March 23, 2016, 05:28:46 PM »

Player Stats
Download link

Description

This mod tracks player stats throughout the campaign. This include mundane things like fuel consumed, crew losses and supplies used.

The mod also tracks new stats such as the player renown.

Ideally this mod would be used by other mods to build new game mechanics. e.g. Having specific missions or officers only available to players with high renown. But this is outside the scope of this mod.

Current features

• Console Commands support
  • Stat: crew members lost
  • Stat: fuel consumed
  • Stat: supplies used
  • Stat: player renown. (see details below)

Installation

Just download the mod and unpack the ZIP file into your mods folder. This mod requires the Console Commands mod.

Extra information

Spoiler

Displaying the stats

Right now the only way to display the current player stats is to use the PlayerStats console command. In the future I plan to add an ability in the ability bar to make it more convenient.

The game also currently displays every renown gain (or decrease) as a message in the campaign log.

Player renown

For each victory in battle, the player owns renown based on their fleet points and the fleet points of the opposite fleet. The whole fleets are taken into account, not just the deployed ships. Moreover, when fighting with allies, the FP for the combined fleet are taken into account.

Overall this means that the smaller the player fleet is compared to the opposite fleet, the more renown the player earns per victory. But there are diminishing returns which means that the higher the current renown is, the more difficult it is get more renown. And thus a given battle will earn more renown to the player if the player currently has a low renown.

The player renown decays at a rate of 1% of the current renown every week. This means that the higher the player renown, the faster it decays. But it can never truly decrease to zero.

For those interested in the details:

First a difficulty rating is computed based on the FP of the opponent divided by the FP of the player. This difficulty rating is multiplied by a diminishing return factor to get the final renown gain. The diminishing return factor is equal to 100 divided by the current renown. The player will earn at least 1 renown per victory.

Misc

[close]

Possible next features

Spoiler

• Button in the Ability bar to display the stats to the user.
  • Dogfighting skill: based on enemies killed while the player was in range of their weapons.
  • Fleet efficiency: ratio of enemy fleet points killed vs player fleet points deployed.
  • Distance traveled (both in system and in hyperspace).
  • Credits credits spent.
  • Stretch goal: upon campaign victory (e.g. in Nexerelin), post the stats on a web site and setup a leaderboard

[close]

Version history

Spoiler

• Initial release.
  • Console Commands support
  • New stat: crew members lost
  • New stat: fuel consumed
  • New stat: supplies used
  • New stat: player renown.

[close]

hqz

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.7.2.a] WIP: Player Stats 0.1.0
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 05:30:59 PM »

This is quite experimental for the moment. Just wanted to throw it out there to gather some feedback regarding the usefulness of such a mod, as well as some feedback regarding the mechanics involved.

Some context about this mod: I started thinking about it after reading this thread about battle reputation.

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 05:27:50 PM »

Hi, I really like that you've made this mod, though I haven't had a chance to test it yet. Love the SS mods that don't just add another faction, but new features.

Thanks you!

One feedback- would it also be possible to display the number of enemy crew losses you've inflicted? And thus display it as a ratio or something? Might be a little more meaningful than just an absolute value of your own crew losses.

hqz

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 09:42:17 PM »

Thanks for the feedback.

I agree, the ratio of crew casualties is probably a better stat to display. I am currently traveling but I'll give it a shot over the weekend.