Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Phase Mechanics - Double - 5x Accel -> Time Slow  (Read 6207 times)

Takion Kasukedo

• Admiral
  • No longer drinking (Alcohol that is)
    • View Profile
Phase Mechanics - Double - 5x Accel -> Time Slow
« on: March 06, 2016, 11:00:12 AM »

I'd like to make a rather suitable (or unsuitable) suggestion of a different ability for the Phase Cloaks.

So, instead of Time Slow, like it has now, due to it taking a rather bothersome time (for those who don't like Time Slow), I would rather have 2x - 5x acceleration capabilities with the Phase Cloak Mechanics.

The reason for this would be same viciousness, less time for positioning, so then, when a phase ship gets in a bind, it can zoom out of there in rather less time than with time slow, which I know slows time by a quarter/half.

It would take less time for a player to move into a position/at the sime time AI's, thus making it a lot more exciting gameplay wise, as I can see time slow being a hassle in the long haul when phase ships are used.
Is now able to cook a decent Creamy Salmon Pasta, amok other things.

Still loves purple. Still not skilled enough to make a mod that doesn't get that one damn error.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Phase Mechanics - Double - 5x Accel -> Time Slow
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 11:36:54 AM »

Have you actually watched a time-accelerated Afflictor zip across the battlefield and get into position before a decloak? Are you suggesting players would have the reflexes to pull off a precision manoeuvre at that speed? I certainly couldn't. I'd go nuts if I had to pilot a phase frigate Benny Hill style. We already have the most elegant solution to the time difference problem in place IMO.

Toxcity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 12:10:10 PM »

I agree with Schwartz. Besides bullet time is cool as hell.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 12:55:48 PM »

there are already quite a few ships with very high mobility and/or powerful mobility systems. the time warp effect of the new phase cloaks makes piloting those ships feel really unique, rather than just like a better version of what other ships can already do.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 01:05:02 PM »

While I would prefer speed up, it would make things too twitchy and fast (more so than Tempest) for some, and in case of Scarab, no easier to dodge bullets.  Slow down is more useful.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 01:07:16 PM »

I'm fine with the time slow.  Besides, I don't think the main purpose of going into Phase is for travel across the map. :P
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 01:37:11 PM »

I'm fine with the time slow.  Besides, I don't think the main purpose of going into Phase is for travel across the map. :P
it's actually useful for that as well. considering that PPT doesn't tick down while no enemy ships are close by, and tripled time flow will make the ship much faster than the 0-flux boost, it's usually a good idea for phase ships to travel while cloaked (with the occasional vent to remove built-up flux) unless it's important to stay close to allied ships that can't go that fast.

Aeson

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 02:34:54 PM »

I'm fine with the time slow.  Besides, I don't think the main purpose of going into Phase is for travel across the map. :P
it's actually useful for that as well.
For simply reducing the time taken to get from one position to another, traveling while cloaked is not helpful for the player. You lose the zero-flux bonus and your ship isn't any faster from your point of view; engaging a phase cloak therefore does not reduce and can actually increases the time that the player spends traversing a given distance. From the player's perspective, engaging a phase cloak while crossing the map is only useful for the apparent reduction in the speed of most other ships, which allows the player's ship to catch up more rapidly or reach a point before an opponent (or closer in time to when that opponent reached the point than would normally have been the case) despite the player's ship not having gained any speed from the player's perspective. Granted, the player isn't usually just crossing the map for the heck of it, and so normally traversing the battle map with an active phase cloak is not a bad idea unless you're careless with flux levels, but it's also not helpful in the sense that it's not actually reducing the time that you the player have to spend crossing the battle map whereas a phase skimmer/teleporter or burn drive would.

As far as the suggestion made in the thread goes, I agree with the sentiment that having the phase cloak increase the speed and acceleration of the player's ship rather than reducing the speed and acceleration of the other ships on the field would cause significant controllability issues and would lead to ships with the system being ignored by me as candidates for player flagships because things which are too responsive are not fun to fly. 'Too responsive' of course varies from person to person, but for me the Hyperion, particularly with acceleration boosts, is already pretty close, and the phase frigates would almost certainly be even worse; the phase destroyer and maybe even the Doom could get there, depending on just how big the boost to acceleration was.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 02:41:42 PM by Aeson »

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 02:42:52 PM »

For simply reducing the time taken to get from one position to another, traveling while cloaked is not helpful for the player.
true. i meant "useful" purely as in "can give a tactical advantage". i agree that it can be somewhat annoying, since the player actually spends more real time flying from A to B.

it's nice that AI piloted ships also seem to take advantage of this, though. can make them very useful for capturing points or chasing down fleeing enemies.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 02:45:22 PM by Sy »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 01:26:08 PM »

Time shift is useful for reaching objectives and/or fleeing enemy ships before the in-game world catches up, even if takes more real-time to do so.  Thus, unless you want battles to resolve in real-time faster, you want the time shift (from phase cloak or temporal shell) for slower in-game time.

Alphascrub

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 03:30:57 PM »

I'm perfectly fine with phase ships atm. Now I just want a line of phase hunter ships. Not phase ships that hunt things no, ships that are made hunt down phase ship and eliminate them. Complete with special abilities to make those pesky phase ships have a hard life. Like something that makes the hunter ship drop his shields but in return forces the phase ship out of phase or causes them to gain massive amounts of flux while in phase. Another option would be a ship like the Omen being able use its IMP Emitter on phased ships... Just imagine it a little afflitor wondering around driving you crazy until your omen frigate shows up and flips the Imp on... Hell it doesn't even have to bring the ship out of phase... just disabling it and forcing it to flee would be enough.

Come to think of it I wonder how effective a Kurmaraja battle-cruiser from BRD might be at tackling you pesky phase ships. I will have to see.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 08:25:49 PM »

Hyperion is already a perfect counter to phase. Medusa is also quite successful at that role.
Basically any:
-fast ship with omni shield or super maneuverability (to avoid flanking)
-with mobility system (AI chooses it's safe distance on your base speed as it seems, using mobility system on top of it allows to catch-up easily)
-and decent burst

Is good enough. There are many mod ships that fit this criteria.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2016, 02:26:58 PM »

Hyperion is already a perfect counter to phase.
Not against AI Afflictor.  Quantum Disruptor plus two AM Blaster shots equals dead Hyperion.  I have been whacked enough times that I must play it safe against Afflictor.  AI Afflictor is very quick on the draw, and Quantum Disruptor interrupts a teleport, and player needs twitchy reflexes to react to this.  Hyperion can counter Afflictor, but it is still very dangerous.

Other phase ships, sure, they do not have such as nasty system to stop teleportation.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2016, 08:39:15 PM »

Not against AI Afflictor.  Quantum Disruptor plus two AM Blaster shots equals dead Hyperion.

Yes, but how is Afflictor going to get close enough to activate it's system? If you are really afraid of that scenario, you'll just teleport out of range as soon as it starts approach. And return to Afflictor only when it's high on flux/just unphased.

Though Afflictor's system needs a nerf, that's sure.