Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [0.7.2a] Slowing during battles?  (Read 2040 times)

Kevin Flemming

• Commander
  • So say we all.
    • View Profile
[0.7.2a] Slowing during battles?
« on: March 04, 2016, 05:20:26 AM »

I seem to be experiencing, well, what I can only describe as a "slowdown" during battles. Everything runs fine then the animations will slow by around half speed and back to normal intermittently. I've watched the projectiles and they slow down randomly during firing, so it's definitely the game's overall speed slowing. The amount of ships or effects happening doesn't appear to make a difference either, as I only have a small fleet at the moment.

I've had a look around at other posts and changed a couple of things suggested by others. Such as allowing Java and Starsector.exe on my Nvidia Control Panel. Turning off V-Sync, etc. Even allowed 120fps by editing the config files (which it actually runs at fine on the map, but I still get the slowdown during battles).

The only "mod" I'm running is the Developer Console. Yes, I'm a filthy cheat.

My tower's specs, in case they're needed. Although they are more than sufficient to run any game.

Core i7 8-Core Extreme i7-5960X
ASUS Rampage V Extreme
32GB Kingston Hyper-X Predator Quad-DDR4 3000MHz
4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 980
Water-cooled

If somebody could either help with the issue or direct me a post/topic to setting-up Starsector with no issues, it would be greatly appreciated. =D

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.7.2a] Slowing during battles?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 08:45:41 AM »

Are you by chance using the Scarab starting frigate? Or a ship with a phase cloak? The Scarab's system and the phase cloak both slow down time.

Kevin Flemming

• Commander
  • So say we all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 09:11:39 AM »

Are you by chance using the Scarab starting frigate? Or a ship with a phase cloak? The Scarab's system and the phase cloak both slow down time.

Yes, I have a Scarab and another small Phase Frigate in the fleet.

So that must be why. I thought it to be odd, running at 120+ constant frames lol. At least it isn't a performance issue and I can now ignore that it happens, as it's a mechanic.

You've solved that mystery, Alex. Many thanks, friend.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 09:21:07 AM »

Glad that's all it was.

... and I can now ignore that it happens, as it's a mechanic.

I wouldn't as much ignore it as make use of it - both are powerful abilities :)

Kevin Flemming

• Commander
  • So say we all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 11:20:57 AM »

Glad that's all it was.

Me too. Was scratching my head trying to figure out what it was. Searching the issue proved to be harder than I anticipated also. Anything related to "slow" turned-out to be redirecting toward the holding Shift function to speed travel time. Hence why I thought it might be an issue with frame rate. I can return to my TTS game now!