Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: make holding down right-click reengage shield/cloak asap  (Read 2013 times)

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
make holding down right-click reengage shield/cloak asap
« on: February 28, 2016, 11:00:02 AM »

as the title states, i think it would be useful to have shields and phase cloaks toggled on as soon as it's possible to do so while the right mouse button is held down. "possible to do so" meaning right after defenses were temporarily disabled during something like an overload, active flux venting, phase cloak cooldown, entering a battle with full travel speed, or defense-disabling ship systems like Damper Field or Burn Drive.

at the moment, the player has to manually time shield/cloak activation correctly after any of these things prevented using defenses for some time. if the button is pressed too early, defenses will not activate, and the player has to press again when realizing it. if pressed too late, the ship can take unnecessary damage. in a heated battle, especially when the ship is in immediate danger after something like an overload, emergency vent, or risky unphasing, having defenses down for even a split second longer than required -- or worse, accidentally disabling them again with one too many attempt to activate them quickly -- can be very damaging.

this could be solved if holding down the button while defenses are disabled would immediately enable them once they become available. to disable them again, the button should then need to first be released before being pressed again.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: make holding down right-click reengage shield/cloak asap
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 11:24:42 AM »

That would be nice, especially for Hyperion after teleporting or any capital with an omni shield (without Accelerated Shields) after it vents.  Too many times, I clicked, no shield, I take damage.  I think "Shield... Shield?  SHIELD!!!"  Occasionally, I click twice and drop the shield after it starts to appear.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 11:28:40 AM »

Yeah, this is a nice idea; noted down.

(Not for the hotfix, though, since the idea there is to remove bugs, not add them.)

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 11:38:07 AM »

kk, thanks! :]