Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is there a way to increase the game speed further?  (Read 16867 times)

hqz

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Is there a way to increase the game speed further?
« on: February 28, 2016, 09:59:00 AM »

When your max burn is 7 and you just want to reach the other side of a given system, it takes forever, even when pressing the shift key.

So basically I have 2 questions:
  • Is there a way to change the game speed increase? (I couldn't find anything obvious in settings.json)
  • Is there a way to make the keypress switch game speed on and off so that I don't have to keep pressing during the whole trip?

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a way to increase the game speed further?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 05:02:15 PM »

When your max burn is 7 and you just want to reach the other side of a given system, it takes forever, even when pressing the shift key.

So basically I have 2 questions:
  • Is there a way to change the game speed increase? (I couldn't find anything obvious in settings.json)
  • Is there a way to make the keypress switch game speed on and off so that I don't have to keep pressing during the whole trip?
Sadly no... The ONLY way that I can think of is using a cheating program to boost the speed but that takes alot of CPU power
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 02:32:07 PM »

TBH I just tab out and read the forum during such times, they game still runs in the background. Guess what I'm doing right now ;D
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 02:35:25 PM »

TBH I just tab out and read the forum during such times, they game still runs in the background. Guess what I'm doing right now ;D
INB4 a massive fleet decides to use you as target practice
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 02:39:46 PM »

Well, of course you have to know what you are doing. But there are still a lot of situations where you can be almost sure that nothing interesting is going to happen, unfortunately.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 02:51:32 PM »

FWIW, I'm aware that this can be an issue and would like to improve on it at some point. Have some ideas, but it's the usual "don't want to get into them in case they don't pan out" thing.

hqz

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 02:56:53 PM »

Well, I sometimes read my email as well while traveling. I just wish I didn't have to press the shift key at the same time though. Can we just make it a switch instead (shift would turn it on or off). I can use macros but I would rather not.

I was about to make a dedicated thread for this in the suggestions forum but since Alex replied to this thread, I'll just wait and see. :)

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 03:25:53 PM »

i was actually thinking about making a thread about this as well... >.>

i know this has been suggested many times before. i know the idea is that travel should become more interesting rather than faster and/or easier to skip, and i really do appreciate that mindset. the v0.7 features definitely added a lot towards that goal, with sensor mechanics and related abilities, terrain, expanded battles, and travel speed rebalance. travel often is interesting now, even quite challenging at times.

yet despite all these things, there are still frequently rather long travel times where nothing is happening and it's just about waiting with the shift key held down. i don't think that's really a problem by itself; some calmness between all the action can actually be rather nice, and it adds to the feeling of distance and emptiness of space. but if my finger starts hurting from pressing down the "speed up time" button too much, that's not a good sign.

as the others have mentioned, i think giving the option to make that button an on-off-toggle would already help a lot. and, personally, i'd also like to see the time sped up a little more. nothing crazy, but something like 300% instead of 200%. there will still be many times where speeding up time would be a bad idea, where controlling your fleet more precicely or being able to quickly react to enemy movement is important. but when the "speed up time" button is being used, i don't think making it a little faster would be detrimental.

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 06:19:08 PM »

I play fullscreen windowed and clicking out of the game while holding Shift keeps the speed up active. I use two monitors though.

Sabotsas

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 10:53:55 PM »

For me it's not really the travel-time that could lead to boredom but the
fact that I can't do anything else (in-game) while travelling.
With 0.7 and the much more challenging campaign map / layer this is less of an issue though.

I would really like to be able to read the 'intel' tab / menu while flying around
in order to check commodity prices, faction standing or just to check where the next bounty is
after my current task. In the future maybe some back story would be nice to read as well.
Checking the codex "on the fly" would also be helpful.

Having said this I am not sure how difficult it would be to implement.

On a side note: Would it be possible to implement detailed statistics for the battles (aftermath)?
For example to see how much damage (damage-type) was dealt by each ship (with which weapon) or how many ships (and which in particular) were taken out
by my new frigate. Something like that could also be a nice read / analysis while travelling.
Keeping track of the ships stats (fought in x many battles, destroyed y ships, dealt z amount of damage) could also lead
to a deeper bond between the player and his fleet / immersion. (-> e.g. X-Com)

shingekinolinus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 01:15:05 AM »

When I feel bored while travelling I just hit emergency burn.

ike

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 06:54:47 PM »

for second question:
I use caps lock to speed up the game ;)

THE SHAMBLER

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2020, 11:51:53 AM »

First post here, I would advise you trying out the hyperdrive mod by Sundog. It allows you to jump forroward and use as much fuel as you would have done traveling and lose some CR, enemies can use it too and it seems pretty well ballanced on my 26 hours playthrough with it so far.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2020, 11:56:33 AM »

I know everyone lost their track of time during the quarantine now, but cmon, you're responding to a 4 year old thread. Also necroing = bad. Also also welcome to the forum, enjoy your stay.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2020, 12:35:29 PM »

Spoiler
[close]
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.
Pages: [1] 2