Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Anything out there like Starsector but with multiplayer?  (Read 23365 times)

Gwyvern

• Captain
  • I build ships.
    • View Profile
Anything out there like Starsector but with multiplayer?
« on: February 27, 2016, 01:14:13 PM »

Been looking for something to play with friends of mine, a game like this springs to mind but it is SP only, anybody know of any substitutes that might let me bring along some company?

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: Anything out there like Starsector but with multiplayer?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 01:20:21 PM »

You could look into Gimbal.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 01:38:35 PM »

Gimbal is dead :(

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 02:45:14 PM »

What happened to that game, anyway?

Takion Kasukedo

• Admiral
  • No longer drinking (Alcohol that is)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 06:06:20 AM »

Hackers and a veeery busy developer.
Is now able to cook a decent Creamy Salmon Pasta, amok other things.

Still loves purple. Still not skilled enough to make a mod that doesn't get that one damn error.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 07:41:57 AM »

Gimbal was a great game held back by terrible netcode. Not that I was a big fan of the Ballistic CPU module either.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 03:09:11 PM »

Loved Gimbal but sadly only like 2 players at any time :/

Fractured Space is semi-similar except 3D.

bluedrake42

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 03:21:15 AM »

Our community is working on a game which is multiplayer, in some ways similar to Starsector.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx-ptwx33Hc

Kindof like a 2D Space Engineers... but more focused around teams and objectives.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 02:10:52 PM »

I recently discovered Battlefleet Gothic: Leviathan on the Google Play store. (Fruity version also available)

It's a (mostly) faithful adaptation of the tabletop ruleset, featuring a campaign (Imperial Navy, Space Marines, and Tyranids), skirmish, and multiplayer.

During my youth I was always interested in the TT game, but never got a chance to play it.
It's quite an interest game with lots of strategic depth to the battles; I'd happily play it on PC, for a mobile game it's pretty amazing!

Although the game does have a tutorial & minimalist codex, I strongly recommend anyone who isn't already familiar the BFG ruleset (as I wasn't) to download & read (or at least refer to) the rules. ( http://saturnfive.us/ships/battlefleet-gothic.d/RULES-PDFs.d/ )

Definitely not the usual shite that gets a Games Workshop license branded onto it; it gets my recommendation!
I'm looking forward to some expansions to bring more interesting races, and maybe more in-depth campaign mechanics.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 02:22:19 PM by TJJ »

AgroFrizzy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 09:26:29 PM »

Huh. Gimbal is on steam. It looks cool - is it still not working or whatever?

The2nd

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 04:34:41 AM »

I'm a bit late for the discussion but I can recommend "Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm25JSs9PhA

Similarities to starsector are: top down 2D space game, rather complex combat gameplay/ship customization.

There is a story-driven singelplayer campaign which is quite amusing though it starts slow and can drag on. Additionally there are several multiplayer modes, cooperative or Versus.

A high quality game that deserves way more attention than it gets. 

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2016, 03:37:11 PM »

I'm a bit late for the discussion but I can recommend "Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm25JSs9PhA

Similarities to starsector are: top down 2D space game, rather complex combat gameplay/ship customization.

There is a story-driven singelplayer campaign which is quite amusing though it starts slow and can drag on. Additionally there are several multiplayer modes, cooperative or Versus.

A high quality game that deserves way more attention than it gets. 
One note on this game, certain special missions can royally screw up on old or weak comps and some can become even impossible to beat because the game is so tied to frame rate (IIRC)
Also, this plays GREAT with a game pad and it has quite a long campaign that allows you to choose which areas you do in whatever order after the tutorial area (which is also quite long)
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

AgroFrizzy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 07:15:26 PM »

Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages was fun.

I don't think it offers as much playable content as StarSector does even unfinished though :(. I felt like it'd be too easy if I played again, and while it does allow for the player to choose what to do next, it's a pretty linear game.

Excellent gameplay mechanics though! It's very fun.

Adding support for two people to man the same ship (larger 'duo' ones with more complexity) locally was a stroke of brilliance. The girlfriend and I enjoyed it :). The duo ships can be used solo too, but they're kind of unwieldy. Better off in a smaller ship that can be used to its max potential alone.

It has traditional online multiplayer stuff too, but I honestly never touched it for some reason. Can't comment on that.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 09:03:05 PM »

Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages was fun.

I don't think it offers as much playable content as StarSector does even unfinished though :(. I felt like it'd be too easy if I played again, and while it does allow for the player to choose what to do next, it's a pretty linear game.

Excellent gameplay mechanics though! It's very fun.

Adding support for two people to man the same ship (larger 'duo' ones with more complexity) locally was a stroke of brilliance. The girlfriend and I enjoyed it :). The duo ships can be used solo too, but they're kind of unwieldy. Better off in a smaller ship that can be used to its max potential alone.

It has traditional online multiplayer stuff too, but I honestly never touched it for some reason. Can't comment on that.
I think that is because of the lack of mods and I doubt the SS would have anywhere NEAR the current popularity without the awesome mod support!
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

The2nd

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2016, 04:10:49 AM »

That's why I recommended it here, closest thing to starsector multiplayer I know. Combat wise at least. Apart from traditional duels there is stuff like zombie mode and even a team vs team in a MOBA like mode. I think it's pretty dead by now but if you have some friends it can be a lot of fun. Game is cheap too.   

I think that is because of the lack of mods and I doubt the SS would have anywhere NEAR the current popularity without the awesome mod support!

Very much this. Current Mods make starsector feel like a finished game. The quality and amount of variety fraction mods add alone is insane.
Additionally I think the freeroaming and sandbox like gameplay is what a lot of people enjoy so much, couple that with the ability to slowly built up and customize a large fleet and excellent core combat mechanics and you have a winner  :D