Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Promote 2nd, 3rd, etc ship to 1st spot if the first few slots are undercrewed  (Read 2258 times)

tinsoldier

• Commander
    • View Profile

Fairly straight forward.  I just got out of a very long fight against a Hegemony security fleet.  Though wildly outgunned, we managed to pull out a victory against the glut of Onslaughts.  In the end, although our loses were significant the enemy walked away with a single Piranha wing.

And... then the single ship Piranha wing attacked my fleet immediately after the first fight ended  ???.  I was going to curb stomp him but sadly not a single ship of mine appeared in the encounter window and so most of my ships were captured.  Again he attacked, finishing off everything else.   ::)

While I know it is a known issue that there's no warning when none of your ships are at sufficient crew levels to fight it was pretty infuriating to know that I still had a bunch of crew left and that if I didn't have the Apogee in slot #1 I could have easily fielded some ships.

If you don't have the option to field your #1 ship, it seems like the game should automatically promote the next ship down the line until you have something that is fully crewed.  In my case, although I couldn't field my Apogee, I could have easily fielded the Medusa, Tempest and two Thunder wings.  Since you need to define the order of your ships in the fleet deliberately to control how crew is split up, it seems like it's a safe bet the the first ship the game can find is probably something the player wants.

Having the option to re-order your fleet in the encounter screen would be nice as well.

Zapier

• Commander
    • View Profile

Personally, I don't know how, if at all possible, but maybe your crew shouldn't be 'assigned' until the deployment screen. I guess it really wouldn't work, because then it would affect even out of combat speeds and repairs, etc. No, the only solution would be to have something that would make it that if your '1st' ship doesn't have enough crew to crew, it should automatically be assigned 0 crew or something... crew should be assigned in a priority order of: fully crewable (I guess skeleton crewable technically) > listing order > evenly distributed amongst remaining, less than skeleton crew ships (so as to keep some feeling of both crews working on captured/damaged ships and just have enough to at least fly it on the campaign map).

Simplified. Full Crew > Listing Order > Remaining Distributed

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Thanks guys! Made it so that ships that can't be crewed (due to not enough crew) are simply skipped - no crew is put on board and it goes to the next ship instead.

Also made it so that ship repair rate doesn't depend on just how much crew you have on it, because that mechanic was also affected by this change. Moving ships around like that for repairs turned out too fiddly, anyway. The total amount of crew you have in your fleet still matters.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile

Nice!
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire