Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hegemony and their "no transponder off" policy.  (Read 11817 times)

RealFear

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Hegemony and their "no transponder off" policy.
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2016, 09:41:07 PM »

Give stations and large fleets long range communications they. This way, they could send a message like "Hey, we know you're there and running without a transponder, if you turn it back on you're gonna be good.". The fleets that actually can mess with you have a way to poke you and say "hey, don't make us do something we don't want to". You turn it on and they like you, they assume you were doing something important. Turn it on and they don't like you, or don't turn it on, they'll treat you like a pirate or a enemy fleet.

Generally I think the relation between you and factions, AND the relation between a large and small fleet need to be ironed out a little bit more. With smaller fleets doing the hard labor and interacting with you more personally, and larger fleets just shouting "Don't make me come over there!" all the time until they find something that is actually worth their time.More on topic, transponder should have a different purpose for a large fleet to a small fleet and I think the AI should know that too.

SierraTangoDelta

• Commander
  • Who could it be?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2016, 06:39:30 PM »

I think that if you turn on the transponder before the intercepting fleet arrives, you shouldn't take the rep hit.

grinningsphinx

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2016, 12:41:48 AM »

I think it make a lot of sense: Having an fleet of unknown military ships flying in you local space is bound to make a lot of people nervous... The kind you get shot down first and then the inspectors check the wreckage. As a matter of fact, I think the reputation penalty should be much higher, like -20 points. On the other hand I also think the "local space" should be somewhat limited around the markets with a clear visual indication, and maybe the beacon icon should be flashing red once you are inside.

uh no..it makes no sense.

The higher your rep goes with a major faction, the lower the hit should be until theres none at cooperative.  

"Oh hey, thats such and suchs ships....Dont they take dinners with the high command?  Yeah youre right, best leave them to what they were doing, besides, didnt they just capture those last 3 planets for us?"

It only gets worse when you factor in fleet force comparison...NO military commander is going to stop a force of 10 battleships plus assorted other stuff and dare to be huffy about a transponder, especially with anything less then a full invasion fleet.

Emphasis mine.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 12:46:34 AM by grinningsphinx »

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2016, 05:00:59 PM »

uh no..it makes no sense.

The higher your rep goes with a major faction, the lower the hit should be until theres none at cooperative.  

"Oh hey, thats such and suchs ships....Dont they take dinners with the high command?  Yeah youre right, best leave them to what they were doing, besides, didnt they just capture those last 3 planets for us?"

It only gets worse when you factor in fleet force comparison...NO military commander is going to stop a force of 10 battleships plus assorted other stuff and dare to be huffy about a transponder, especially with anything less then a full invasion fleet.

Emphasis mine.
The only problem though is that without IFF they CAN'T tell that it is you and not some pirate that just salvaged your ship(s) and blasting you in atoms. And in this kind of situation, they WOULD be *** if it was a false alarm as they could be killing pirate scum or saving some civies
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

dauntasa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2016, 03:11:05 PM »

Having a faction commission should give you an ability that lets you throw out a quick ping that makes fleets from that faction stop following you. Something along the lines of a command code you can send to all pursuing patrols to tell them "Yes, I'm running with my Transponder off but I'm on important Hegemony business, go away". Maybe have a 1 point reputation drop for using it too often or if they suspect you're using it to smuggle things.

VuNut

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2016, 08:19:16 AM »

What makes this weirder still is when you see smugglers happily parked by a station, transponder off, completely ignored by patrols.

In the case of when you are in high enough regard with a faction to have access to their secure comms, wouldn't it be reasonable for their patrols to attempt hailing/identifying unknown contacts on that channel (giving you the option to keep the transponder off if you're not intending to dock anywhere they'd care about)? It'd be nice to also have them let it slide (no rep hit and/or hostility) if you had done something that would improve your standing with that faction within the last day or two.

I reckon that would take care of most of the strange behaviour the mechanic causes.

Inventor Raccoon

• Captain
  • Digging through trash for a hydroflux catalyst
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2016, 08:16:03 AM »

Any ship with their transponder off (it's usually independent smugglers) should be occasionally hassled by fleets. If they're chasing you because they have no idea who they are, how do they know the smugglers aren't from another faction, smuggling in weapons for rebels or something else?

Toxcity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2016, 10:47:37 AM »

Any ship with their transponder off (it's usually independent smugglers) should be occasionally hassled by fleets. If they're chasing you because they have no idea who they are, how do they know the smugglers aren't from another faction, smuggling in weapons for rebels or something else?

Agreed. It feels weird that it doesn't happen.
Pages: 1 [2]