Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Starsector Ripoff?  (Read 4723 times)

spartan117pr

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Starsector Ripoff?
« on: February 14, 2016, 09:38:41 PM »

Just saw this game called "Wayward Terran Frontier: Zero Falls" on early access steam.  I know there are games similar to Starsector already out, but this looks much more like someone saw starsector and is trying to clone ideas from it.  I have to admit I like the fact you can go inside your ship though.  Well whether this is cause for anger or just good that another game similar to Starsector is coming out is up to everyone to decide for themselves.  Personally I will wait to see more of it before I decide.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector Ripoff?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 10:02:03 PM »

Eh, I'd say its different enough to not be a problem. No shield system, has in-depth "internal" ship customization, ships can just fly over each other (no collision).

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 10:11:15 PM »

WTF:ZF has virtually no resemblance to Starsector.

SpacePoliticianAndaZealot

• Captain
  • The Show Stopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 11:06:33 PM »

WTF:ZF has virtually no resemblance to Starsector.

Spoorthuzad

• Captain
  • Looking right into your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 11:36:57 PM »

I'd say there is more similarities between Call of duy and Battlefield then there is with Starsector and W.T.F.. From what I see from Youtube videos they only play the same as they are both space games and play topdown.

Thats's about it.

sarducardun

• Commander
  • Welcome the angel of death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 04:28:34 AM »

Having been on the alpha for both for ages I would say NO. The direction WTFZF and SS are going in are diversifying even further too, and as others have mentioned the only real similarity is top down spaceships with you flying. Yes you reconfigure ships in both but the customisation is incomparable. And fleets are not something in or planned in WTFZF (It was explicitly said by a dev a while back). Interactions with NPCs are currently evolving in WTFZF but an interactable marketplace for the player would not fit the game, maybe the ability to purchase or quest for crew/specific 'legendary' blueprints is a possibility but nothing like what SS has.

I would suggest getting WTFZF and playing it before judging.

Because I ageree with this.
I'd say there is more similarities between Call of duy and Battlefield then there is with Starsector and W.T.F.. From what I see from Youtube videos they only play the same as they are both space games and play topdown.

Thats's about it.

SigilFey

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 05:33:45 PM »

I support the difference.  I've played both, and they are nothing alike.

The graphics engines are all the same.  It's different iterations of the engine originally built for Gratuitous Space Battles.  That's about the only similarity.