Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: XCOM 2  (Read 10262 times)

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM 2
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2016, 05:33:32 AM »

Thing is, compared to the first one, there's a huge focus on skills and executing good turns. While pods are still annoying as *** when you accidentally trigger them on the last square a unit moves, you have a lot of tools and can plan for missed shots.

PS: The decoy is/was p. strong. Basically guarantees you a safe turn against one enemy or more.

Kevin Flemming

• Commander
  • So say we all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2016, 07:03:59 AM »

Oh, I know. ;D I'm very strategic with my movement and always trying to out-wit the AI (and the game's persistence to try and screw you over). There are just a few things that annoy me to the point where I often throw in the towel. Call it a "hissy-fit" if you will lol.

The enemy constantly knowing where you are and always patrolling directly toward you, is one thing. I've put my whole concealed squad on top of a building, out of sight, and every pod you can see will walk towards their position. I tested this a bunch of times and it's regular enough to be true. I took one Ranger to the other side of the map and they still followed him, diverting from their typical patrol route.

If the enemy isn't nearby, the AI will skip turns endlessly, even if you have been discovered. So without a timer, unless they are doing the "follow you" thing, you can't wait and ambush them. The game forces you to advance.

The main thing that annoys me though, is the predetermined outcomes. It's not a dice-roll, not really. The decision has already been made what happens in a round and that infuriates me. I just don't see the point in it. Why take away the random nature of a dice roll? It's not true strategy. It's a continuous battle with the game, not the aliens. :-\

braven25

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2016, 09:41:17 AM »

Oh, I know. ;D I'm very strategic with my movement and always trying to out-wit the AI (and the game's persistence to try and screw you over). There are just a few things that annoy me to the point where I often throw in the towel. Call it a "hissy-fit" if you will lol.

The enemy constantly knowing where you are and always patrolling directly toward you, is one thing. I've put my whole concealed squad on top of a building, out of sight, and every pod you can see will walk towards their position. I tested this a bunch of times and it's regular enough to be true. I took one Ranger to the other side of the map and they still followed him, diverting from their typical patrol route.

If the enemy isn't nearby, the AI will skip turns endlessly, even if you have been discovered. So without a timer, unless they are doing the "follow you" thing, you can't wait and ambush them. The game forces you to advance.

The main thing that annoys me though, is the predetermined outcomes. It's not a dice-roll, not really. The decision has already been made what happens in a round and that infuriates me. I just don't see the point in it. Why take away the random nature of a dice roll? It's not true strategy. It's a continuous battle with the game, not the aliens. :-\

Ai don't actually know where you are when in concealment, but if you run while concealed it creates noise that attracts them, which gives the impression that they know where you are, and thats because they investigating the noise.

Kevin Flemming

• Commander
  • So say we all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2016, 10:15:40 AM »

Ai don't actually...
...investigating the noise.

Yes, but that wasn't the scenario. I started on a building and moved one soldier (constantly in the blue, I might add) to discover the pods. Then two pods proceeded to patrol directly toward the rest of the group and lingered around at the bottom of the building they were hiding on and constantly skipped turns while standing still.

Of course the AI knows where you are, it's controlled by the game. That's like saying the rolls aren't predetermined lol.

I'm not the only person to discover this though. Perhaps only on here, but there are other instances where this has been found to be true. Hence how I found out about and tested it.
Pages: 1 [2]