Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 40

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7.2a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 355148 times)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7.2a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #360 on: February 29, 2016, 05:01:46 AM »

@XRyst
The Transponder is much, much more important than the other 3 "skills" since it affects politics with the player vastly more.  I can totally understand why Alex made it require two taps instead of 1, to make sure the player didn't accidentally enable or disable it.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Spoorthuzad

• Captain
  • Looking right into your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: February 29, 2016, 06:07:09 AM »

Shouldn't the other skills have the same double tap function though?
Going dark is basically turning transponder off and slows you down which could be bad in certain situations.
pinging stops you
and emergency burn takes away CR and therefore supplies.

Then again you might get used to double tapping if all skills are double tapped ,making the whole double tapping idea useless...
hmmm....

edit: I'm saying double tapping way too much...

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: February 29, 2016, 07:12:33 AM »

just found something strange.. i'm buying marines from the blackmarket on Zorra, with price starting at 747 credits per unit. but with each one i buy, the price per unit decreases. if i buy all 30 available marines, price per unit goes down to 379. i would've expected price to increase, not decrease, as local supply approaches 0.
I had the very same bug in StarSector 0.7a in Tigra City, but forgot to report. When I tried buying the marines one at once, the price was constant, but when I selected more the price per unit was decreasing. I even checked the save now. Buying one costs 881 but buying 10 costs about 6800.

Thank you - fixed. More of the "black market has things the market has no actual demand for so there are edge cases" stuff. Should be good and fixed now, though.

One more bug from 0.7a that I had a prepared save with. Sorry for not reporting it earlier but I only came back to StarSector today. The bug is possibly already fixed since then, but won't hurt to report anyway in case it was not.

When finishing procurement mission, you get a credits payment. Now if you, without leaving the station, try to recruit an officer, and offer to hire him, it shows your available sum of credits, but instead of actual one it shows the amount you had before you received the payment.

Thank you, noted. Will fix that up at some point, but not for this hotfix - the ratio of "chance to introduce other bug while fixing this" vs "issue severity" isn't looking too good :)

Achataeon

• Commander
  • ~stare~
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: February 29, 2016, 07:32:06 AM »

Really weird thing happened to me today. It's probably a bug, but I've yet to reproduce it again so there's that.

Accepting a mission that requires clandestine delivery when you already have the materials needed for delivery AND entered transponder off messes with your transponder status to stations.

I docked transponder off at Barad B and saw a 10-unit drug mission for Barad B, which I immediately took. When I talked to the dude that accepts the delivery, he stated that I must be hidden from authorities and some such, which I already was, since I initially docked transponder off. So I exited the station, immediately re-docked, and made the delivery. When I came to Jangala with transponder on, I was refused to dock because I "didn't have my transponder on and that there's a patrol tracking my movements." But I had my transponder on all the time, and no patrol actually came to me. Reloading the save seemed to have fixed the issue, but I couldn't replicate the conditions actually needed to recreate said incident.
"On average, a human has one breast and one testicle"
- Vsauce, Michael here

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: February 29, 2016, 08:05:04 AM »

Thanks for the report - I'll keep an eye out. Can't reproduce it under similar conditions so far. Sounds like it's a case of the actual transponder state getting out of sync with the UI somehow, but I'm not seeing how that might happen.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: February 29, 2016, 02:22:20 PM »

I still didn't get as far as I'd like, but what I've seen I enjoyed. Many of the changes are not very noticeable (except in direct comparison) but make for an overall much smoother campaign experience. Since this is a polish update, I'd (so far) say "job well done" ;)

A question, does this:
Added "cargo scan" patrols may perform when the player's transponder is on
Chance to happen if player has been doing smuggling at patrol's source market
also apply to buying/selling ships on the black market? It's a bit strange if the patrol people board my just illegally acquired ship to search it for contraband, they are really missing the forest for the trees there. (Could actually be cool if back market ships/goods stay "hot" for a while.)

Another, really minor thing that nevertheless bothered me for a while now: In the little hover-over ship tooltip (that appears e.g. in the deployment dialog or while selecting a flagship during an encounter dialog) a ship's top speed is not shown. Since that is the primary factor in any pursuit scenario, it would be neat if it would be shown. Crew level on the other hand seems irrelevant.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Mandabar

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: February 29, 2016, 05:27:29 PM »

Code
Phase Lance: removed EMP damage component

How COULD YOU Alex? ;(

Just started using these on my wolf/medusa last release (7.1a(or some letter)) and really enjoyed the burst and the emp from them.

Oh well, yay for csv! :P

On another note, Is it possible to load a save on this release guys, or will I need to restart/using the power of mods to transfer the save?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: February 29, 2016, 06:09:02 PM »

I still didn't get as far as I'd like, but what I've seen I enjoyed. Many of the changes are not very noticeable (except in direct comparison) but make for an overall much smoother campaign experience. Since this is a polish update, I'd (so far) say "job well done" ;)

:D

Added "cargo scan" patrols may perform when the player's transponder is on
Chance to happen if player has been doing smuggling at patrol's source market
also apply to buying/selling ships on the black market? It's a bit strange if the patrol people board my just illegally acquired ship to search it for contraband, they are really missing the forest for the trees there. (Could actually be cool if back market ships/goods stay "hot" for a while.)

It does, yeah. As you say, they are indeed missing the forest for the trees; might make sense to add the same kind of thing for ships - where they don't take them from you, they just very strongly suspect they're "hot" and this results in a reputation drop. I like it! Made a note. (This does bring up the question of black market weapons as well... hmm.

On the other hand, functionally this wouldn't change very much if you already have a bunch of cargo - having a ship that's "hot", in that case, results in an increased chance for a "suspicious cargo" outcome. Which, if the result is the same as a "suspicious ship" outcome (i.e. rep loss), might be getting a bit too fancy without clear gain.

Another, really minor thing that nevertheless bothered me for a while now: In the little hover-over ship tooltip (that appears e.g. in the deployment dialog or while selecting a flagship during an encounter dialog) a ship's top speed is not shown. Since that is the primary factor in any pursuit scenario, it would be neat if it would be shown. Crew level on the other hand seems irrelevant.

Yeah, that could probably use a rework. Honestly, I'm thinking about removing crew levels altogether. They complicate a *lot* of things under the hood, and at this point - with officers in play, and all of the crew impact working through CR - they don't add much anymore.

On another note, Is it possible to load a save on this release guys, or will I need to restart/using the power of mods to transfer the save?

Should be possible.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: February 29, 2016, 07:01:17 PM »

Yeah, that could probably use a rework. Honestly, I'm thinking about removing crew levels altogether. They complicate a *lot* of things under the hood, and at this point - with officers in play, and all of the crew impact working through CR - they don't add much anymore.

Then how would max CR levels be controlled on officer-less ships?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: February 29, 2016, 07:14:45 PM »

Then how would max CR levels be controlled on officer-less ships?

Just set to something like 70%, with +30% available from officer. Right now, there's such a gap between ships with an officer and without that the max CR level of an officer-less ship barely matters. Even after the skill revamp, I suspect that'll still be the case.

Mazuo

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: February 29, 2016, 07:15:36 PM »

I'd reconsider doing that unless you feel the game really needs the change.  Crew levels are pretty nice flavor if nothing else knowing you brought up people from raw trainees to experts at fighting and maintaining spaceships.

I'm sure more could be done to alter their mechanics to something more satisfying if desired, but I'd like to see them stick around.

Deathfly

• Modders' Vanguard
  • Commander
  • Murdered by T. H. Morgan
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: February 29, 2016, 07:22:45 PM »

OK, I think I found another rounding issue. Sometime in a food shortage it said it needs approximately 70 foods to resolve it. But after I sold 70 foods it still said approximately 1 more food is needed. So I thinke it may actually needs 70.31415926575 or soso foods but it got rounded to 70 just like something for the purchase missions.
A not-so-noob functional geneticist
And a free bug hunter
Code and decode almost everythings with a genomics approach.
Served in Neutrino corporation as a long-term services and supports staff.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: February 29, 2016, 07:31:17 PM »

Maybe crew could gain some kind of campaign-level benefit?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: February 29, 2016, 07:42:13 PM »

I'd reconsider doing that unless you feel the game really needs the change.  Crew levels are pretty nice flavor if nothing else knowing you brought up people from raw trainees to experts at fighting and maintaining spaceships.

I'm sure more could be done to alter their mechanics to something more satisfying if desired, but I'd like to see them stick around.

They're good flavor, yeah, but not much else. And in terms of the complexity they add, it's not even close in terms of what they bring vs what they "cost".

OK, I think I found another rounding issue. Sometime in a food shortage it said it needs approximately 70 foods to resolve it. But after I sold 70 foods it still said approximately 1 more food is needed. So I thinke it may actually needs 70.31415926575 or soso foods but it got rounded to 70 just like something for the purchase missions.

That's actual rounding - that text says "approximately"; it's not supposed to be an exact number.

Maybe crew could gain some kind of campaign-level benefit?

Hmm. I'm not sure I want to try bolting *more* things onto crew levels, given the behind-the-scenes complexity it already causes.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: February 29, 2016, 07:54:12 PM »

I'd be a little sad to see crew levels go - I enjoy the benefits of training up and selling off hapless slaves green crew as a reliable side business - it keeps bounty hunting viable when you're badly damaged by a tough opponent.

(Crew salaries would be nice, and certainly you could remove a tier for simplicity.)
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 40