Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 40

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7.2a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 355194 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7.2a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #150 on: February 23, 2016, 12:46:55 PM »

Just independents.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 23, 2016, 01:10:40 PM »

If you're in the playtesting phase then that must mean the patch is close! Raaaahh! >8D

SierraTangoDelta

• Commander
  • Who could it be?
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 23, 2016, 01:13:01 PM »

Any improvements for performance on AMD cards and CPUs, or do I have to keep telling AMD to work on it?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 23, 2016, 01:26:52 PM »

Any improvements for performance on AMD cards and CPUs, or do I have to keep telling AMD to work on it?

The latter, unfortunately. AFAIK it's fine on some AMD cards and not on others and I'm just not sure what, if anything, I can do about it on my end. The game is not using anything fancy as far as OpenGL features go. I'll keep an eye out for any information about whether something specific (and thus work-aroundable) is causing this, though.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 23, 2016, 01:27:26 PM »

The latter, unfortunately. I'm just not sure what, if anything, I can do about it on my end. The game is not using anything fancy as far as OpenGL features go. I'll keep an eye out for any information about whether something specific (and thus work-aroundable) is causing this, though. I'm also not sure whether it's all AMD cards/drivers or just some that are having problems.

SierraTangoDelta

• Commander
  • Who could it be?
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 23, 2016, 02:02:24 PM »

I don't even have a particularly weak GPU, I would think 1.5 gb of vram is enough to handle the game+mods and the extra effects from stuff like ShadersLib.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 23, 2016, 02:04:28 PM »

It's not a vram issue, it's a "their opengl driver code is slow for whatever things Starsector is doing" issue.

But: does it run ok for without mods? Because that's a very important distinction to make, whether the performance issues you're having are with mods or without.

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 23, 2016, 02:19:36 PM »

I just opened up weapon.csv and made the patch changes to HIEs and Tach Lances myself, then did some quick rounds in the simulator and vs whatever hostile fleets I could find on short notice. It seems like an all-beam Paragon is now viable. It even works vs simulator Paragons even though you can't out-damage their flux dissipation because they toggle Fortress Shield on for absolutely no reason. I hope that the changes to how the AI handles Fortress Shield fixes that. It might not work vs Odysseys because they don't have Fortress Shield, but there's no Odyssey in the simulator to test against.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 23, 2016, 02:26:01 PM »

Trident bombers have 3x LR PD lasers - they'll be able to fire all 3 of them for about 5 seconds before they flux out. Maybe the flux isn't an issue but perhaps the range would be? Or is it all fine the way they are?

SierraTangoDelta

• Commander
  • Who could it be?
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 23, 2016, 02:40:59 PM »

It's not a vram issue, it's a "their opengl driver code is slow for whatever things Starsector is doing" issue.

But: does it run ok for without mods? Because that's a very important distinction to make, whether the performance issues you're having are with mods or without.
I'd have to check the performance again without mods.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 23, 2016, 03:15:29 PM »

Trident bombers have 3x LR PD lasers - they'll be able to fire all 3 of them for about 5 seconds before they flux out. Maybe the flux isn't an issue but perhaps the range would be? Or is it all fine the way they are?

Riight - changed them all to regular PD Laser for the time being. They're not really in the game (except in 1 mission, IIRC?), though, so something of a moot point.

Auraknight

• Commander
  • I am a Knight of Aura.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 23, 2016, 03:24:17 PM »

Don't forget to make that relation transparent, maybe just by having the patrol captain state the reason for his suspicions :)

Yep, they mention that right off the bat. "Your fleet matches the profile of a suspected smuggler provided by <market> authorities", that sort of thing.
So what happens if we vastly change our fleet composition? that's something I've always wondered. if they are chasing us based on what they have in intel, say a fleet with a few cruisers, and we scuttle/store them in exchange for a capital and a few frigates, we're no-longer matching whatever report went out on us, right? (So long as we do it someplace safe from prying eyes...)
~Aura be with you

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 23, 2016, 03:28:01 PM »

Riight - changed them all to regular PD Laser for the time being. They're not really in the game (except in 1 mission, IIRC?), though, so something of a moot point.
shouldn't they be in again now that Atropos are actually useful? or was there another reason for not using Tridents?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 23, 2016, 03:29:50 PM »

So what happens if we vastly change our fleet composition? that's something I've always wondered. if they are chasing us based on what they have in intel, say a fleet with a few cruisers, and we scuttle/store them in exchange for a capital and a few frigates, we're no-longer matching whatever report went out on us, right? (So long as we do it someplace safe from prying eyes...)

The part of the "fleet profile" matching reports of suspected smuggling is you being in command of it :) They're just not accusing you of being a smuggler directly to make it sound like a more routine thing than it actually is.

shouldn't they be in again now that Atropos are actually useful? or was there another reason for not using Tridents?

I'm not a fan of how they feel, torpedo payload entirely aside. Will probably take another look at some later point and decide one way or another.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 23, 2016, 05:30:06 PM »

Hey Alex, which of the new frigates are you most pleased with how it turned out? Can the Scarab pretty much wipe the floor with the other frigates in combat?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 40