Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 40

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7.2a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 355080 times)

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7.2a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2016, 08:46:30 PM »

Other mechanics and modes of entertainment are fine, but we're all here because we dig the combat.

Maybe you, but not me. I actually find combat pretty limited when you try to tie it in with campaign. Campaign is rich, beautiful, full of wonder and exploration. Combat's fun as a casual game (the main menu missions) but in  campaign,  combat is just a mini-game in a little box. So I'd like to see some more mechanics like the expanded battles, to make combat actually feel like its part of the bigger game - campaign. Until then, I mostly avoid it.

I'll admit that a military drone tender would be cool, (carriers can't fill this role since fighters are like deflating, week-old balloons farting melancholically across the map) but other than that, more = better is a pretty limited, uncritical concept of fun.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2016, 09:19:17 PM »

Ships are pretty easy to crank out in little time now, especially the small ones. This set was made to fill in some gaps, particularly the Wayfarer to fill in the gap that the Cerberus failed to fill. Roughly speaking.

And we've got a list of ship roles to fill in, generally larger from here on out, though of course the larger they are the more time they take. That said, and now that this set is done, I'm going to try to focus for a bit on other things.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2016, 09:31:58 PM »

Soooo....David could you tell us what the 'larger' ships are and the 'roles' they are going to be filling out? Please?

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2016, 09:34:57 PM »

That said, and now that this set is done, I'm going to try to focus for a bit on other things.

Yep, more cool graphics for campaign I hope!

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2016, 09:47:21 PM »

Ah, David has brought good news. Rejoice! He has also dropped some teasers that are sure to torment us, the devil!

Glad to hear that larger ships are now nearer to the top of the to-do list.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2016, 09:48:34 PM »

Soooo....David could you tell us what the 'larger' ships are and the 'roles' they are going to be filling out? Please?

Well, more awesome and cool stuff that's super useful while being at least very slightly larger. So mostly that.  ;)

:-X

Glad to hear that larger ships are now nearer to the top of the to-do list.

(Not quite what I said!)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2016, 11:24:43 PM »

Nice changes all around, especially the AI stuff. Interesting.
I can't wait to see these AI changes in action.

I don't want to oversell this change. It's not learning, really (that's a whole other thing, and probably not a good fit) - just some cases where it can look back to examine trends. For example, it can now answer a question like "am I being successful in pulling away from an enemy, over the last X seconds?" and then use that information to make a decision, instead of all decisions being based on data from the current instant.

It only does this in a handful of places to resolve cases where the AI gets "stuck" with a bad behavior and doesn't realize it's not doing what it wants to accomplish.

Oh, wow, this reminds me about a conversation we had some years ago about the AI analyzing the success of its current behavior and potentially switching tactics. I would be very interested in hearing more about the specific cases this occurs in.

High Energy Focus
Removed downside (increased damage to own weapons/engines)
Now has 3 charges, regenerating a 1/20 seconds
Each charge lasts 3 seconds

I like this. The downside was never really noticeable.

Although both this and the phase ship two-second-attack-window changes reduce the usefulness of beams. I doubt I'll be using them on the Sunder anymore. Maybe the eventual fighter buffs will carve out a anti-fighter niche for beams?
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

JohnDoe

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2016, 11:30:05 PM »

Burst beams are beams too!

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2016, 12:02:15 AM »

Speaking of the jump point tooltip, it is possible to have some place hidden from it? I think pirate stations or abandoned ones (and a lot of modded stuff) would be better if not directly exposed to the player. It kinda defeat the goal of having limited sensor range if you "knowk their global location from hyper. Also, I have in my mod a triangular wormhole and I have no doubt it will mess that tooltip up.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 05:20:53 AM by Tartiflette »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2016, 05:26:38 AM »

Frigates have many high-tech options, but limited combat low-tech (Lasher and the two hybrids) and midline (Vigilance, Brawler, maybe Kite (A)).

Destroyers have one dedicated combat ship per epoch, plus Sunder (looks midline, but plays like high-tech).

Cruisers, low-tech just has Dominator (which is best-in-class).  High-tech has a bunch of mediocre, unless going for missile boats.

Capitals, low-tech just has Onslaught (rivals Paragon) and midline just has Conquest (which is not even a battleship).

Much as I like to see more carrier options, they are moot with current fighter balance.  Fighters are too weak to use by endgame.

As for beams on the Sunder, the main point of beams is to prevent enemy from dropping shields when range from target is between 600 and 1000, when trying to pound shields with blasters or pulse lasers.  They were never that great on the Sunder as an attack weapon.  Well, triple phase lance is okay, if backed by Advanced Optics and light needlers.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2016, 09:11:18 AM »

So what is the Cerberus now that the frigate-sized combat freighter, Wayfarer, is being added? Is the Cerberus gonna get a few stat tweaks to make it more of a combat ship and less of a freighter?

Is the pirate Mudskipper simply called Mudskipper Mk 2?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 10:10:37 AM by Dri »

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2016, 09:25:49 AM »

I was thinking it was probably just a Mudskipper (d)

EDIT: Also, the Cerberus mainly lacks the 'combat' part of combat freighter, methinks.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2016, 10:44:32 AM »

Cerberus needs Front Shield Generator and plenty of capacitors and vents before it becomes viable as a combatant.  To get enough OP, you almost need +30% OP AND Optimized Assembly perk.  Until then, it is simply a faster freighter that can outrun almost anything.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2016, 12:17:29 PM »

Didn't see it in the notes, you chose not to give the Odyssey a 360 arc for one of its large turrets? =/

Takion Kasukedo

• Admiral
  • No longer drinking (Alcohol that is)
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2016, 01:48:42 PM »

• Added Centurion-class frigate (system: Damper Field)

RIP, imperial Centurion.

Also that new Tachyon lance is going to be terrifying. Brawling against a Paragon will be impossible.

And those MIRVs scaling with skills, Jesus... It reminds of something...

...What are those missiles? Clarents?

And as for the TL, that's going to be deadly.
Is now able to cook a decent Creamy Salmon Pasta, amok other things.

Still loves purple. Still not skilled enough to make a mod that doesn't get that one damn error.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 40