Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How will factions be made unique? Ship variants the key?  (Read 2498 times)

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
How will factions be made unique? Ship variants the key?
« on: January 27, 2016, 04:21:26 PM »

So is that the route the game will take to make each faction feel more special/unique? I mean sure, TT feels a lot different than Hegemony but what about Hegemony vs Ludds or Sindrians?

Right now Hegemony has the XIV ship variants that not only look different but also have a bit more stat flavor than standard ships (higher armor, better flux stats, slower). Will The Ludds be getting a set of variants with their own special liveries, perks such as built-in hull mods and stat tweaks? The Sindrians?

I give my support for each faction getting its own version of the Hegemony's XIV - 4-5 ships with per faction with not only special looks but also tweaked stats/hullmods. How about the rest of you, you like the idea of each faction having a special set of more powerful ship variants? Sure, each faction having entirely unique hull types would be awesome but that'd be a lot of work (maybe 2ish faction-only ships? :D).

Cik

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: How will factions be made unique? Ship variants the key?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 05:01:30 PM »

i'd like to see each faction get their own special variants at least, if not their own ships. i think the factions should be expanded in a few ways.

1. favored strategy, favored ships. this is already sort of in place with the lion's guard sindrian detachments; they have a very specialized sort of ethos, but can be expanded for every faction. each faction should have a particular strategy they like. the hegemony's is basically already in place, huge, heavily plated ships of the line in large formations. likewise, their nemesis tri-tachyon favors smaller formations of stealthy raiding ships, or line ships of enormous high-powered shields.

i'd like to see sindrians go carrier/fighter heavy, and ludd, sticking to their religious theme can be fanaticism, perhaps with variants designed with safety overrides, heavier fixed torpedo mounts and other dangerous modifications (both to the user and the enemy)

anyway, that can go in many directions, but each faction's fleets should be relatively uniquely composed, and each elite formation (lion's guards, hegemony has one AFAIK) should be doubly unique.

2. the way they behave should differ, whether they tend towards war or peace, diplomacy or violence, et cetera. what goods do they sell? what do they manufacture? how tolerant are they of independents? etc. should all vary.

anyway, yes i'd really like to see a heron painted up in lion's guard colors, and carriers need the help anyway.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 05:43:19 PM »

Oh, aye, having each faction deploy certain types of fleets would help (Sindrians need fighters buff if they're gonna be the "carrier" faction, heh). I'm sure they'll be fleshed out more behaviorally and politically but I was wondering mostly about in-combat uniqueness.

Not sure if Hegemony has a Lion's Guard equivalent; I've never really fought against them.

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 06:17:48 PM »

Special ships for each faction seems like a good thing to do. And then, modified versions of standard ships like Hegemony currently has.

Dudley Dickerson

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 12:28:51 AM »

I imagine ship variants with slightly different stats and a new coat of paint would be a relatively easy thing to mod in?

Gezzaman

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 06:17:35 AM »

Like what Dri said, I think having each faction having a high chance to deploy certain types of fleets suitable to their style / lore.

Also make the sprites more... different even though they may use the same hull ( eg  XIV varients with an obvious colour scheme)

More unique Cruisers / Capitols per faction?