Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Crew and supply use  (Read 6201 times)

Drewsen

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Crew and supply use
« on: January 20, 2016, 06:46:44 PM »

Has the way the number of crew in your fleet and their supply use changed?

I acquired 'Making Do' which reduced the amount of crew required to half, which I remember used to mean that the supplies required were also halved.
Strangely now my fleet uses the same amount of supplies whether or not I have the minimum required crew or the maximum possible crew.

Kind of feels like a waste of those extra 5 points now..

sycspysycspy

• Commander
  • Translator of the Council of AL
    • View Profile
Re: Crew and supply use
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 07:15:46 PM »

In 0.7, crew no longer consume supplies. Your ship will consume a fixed amount of supplies each month. And your fleet will consume extra supplies to recover CR and repair ships if there is any battle going on.
Basically you ships would start losing crews when they take hull damage. "Make do" will help in the situation when you lose too many crews and in the end your fleet would suffer from crew shortage. It would also allow you to take more marines, as your fleet could have more "non-skeleton crews" on board.
In Starsector Plus, "Make do" will save a lot of credit, as in that mod, crews would take salary.
Please report any translation error to me with PM.
- I just went over to my bank account and figured out I can live comfortably without working for the rest of my life as long as I die on next Tuesday.

Drewsen

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 08:27:40 PM »

Damn, that sucks, losing crew is not that much of an issue really, I don't feel as though it is worth getting 10 in Leadership as it was previously as 50% less crew was a huge money saver, and would mean not having to carry so many supplies.

On a side note, are you able to remove points with the Console Commands mod? I would like to be able to reassign my points from Leadership into Combat now.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 09:13:05 PM »

Damn, that sucks, losing crew is not that much of an issue really, I don't feel as though it is worth getting 10 in Leadership as it was previously as 50% less crew was a huge money saver, and would mean not having to carry so many supplies.

On a side note, are you able to remove points with the Console Commands mod? I would like to be able to reassign my points from Leadership into Combat now.
You should be able to use the command respec to allow the reallocation of all points
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 11:12:59 PM »

Did you read what Leadership now does? It still lowers monthly supply usage by now reducing ship monthly maintenance costs. I've got a level 56 character and just recently maxed out Leadership 10 and the other skill that lowers monthly supply usage - all total its saving me 50% on supply drain per month.

sycspysycspy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 12:54:39 AM »

Did you read what Leadership now does? It still lowers monthly supply usage by now reducing ship monthly maintenance costs. I've got a level 56 character and just recently maxed out Leadership 10 and the other skill that lowers monthly supply usage - all total its saving me 50% on supply drain per month.
That is hardly worth mentioning, compare to the supplies cost of CR recovery and repair, it's really not much. Unless you don't engage at all.
Let's just do math, assume you go for a battle 4 times a month, which is not quite often at all. and you deploy 75% of the ships for each engagement, which is quite reasonable as well, cos you wont let the freighters or tankers in the battlefield. Deployment recovery is basically a month's maintenance cost for most of the ships. That would cost 3 months' supplies to recover the CR only, not to mention the armor and hull damage the ships taken. So with the leadership tree's aid you cost 50% less month's supplies for maintenance. Total cost is 3.5 month's supplies for that given month. Without the skill it's 4 month's supplies. So the fleet overall save 12.5 percent of supplies in total. That 12.5 percent of saving on supplies at the cost of 10 aptitude points and 10 skill points. NO WAY!
So unless you are playing mod(SS+), please consider invest in the leadership tree only at the late game. Combat and technology are more helpful to improve the fleet's combat efficiency.
Btw, my character is lv 83 now.
- I just went over to my bank account and figured out I can live comfortably without working for the rest of my life as long as I die on next Tuesday.

Drewsen

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 04:06:03 AM »

I used to make Leadership 10 and 'Making Do' a priority as it allowed me to field a larger fleet, or a large supply cost capital much earlier in the game, I agree that now it seems like more of a low priority late game stat.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 05:38:44 AM »

The main benefit of Command Experience 10 now is double experience for crew, which means more trained crew to pack into liners then sell.  Making Do only means that you can sell even more and not be short-handed.

Base supplies per month costs is peanuts compared to repairs.  Skills that let you fight better are much more important than shaving a few supplies during an uneventful trip.

The most useful skill in Leadership now is Advanced Tactics, and I only put points in it for the Special Ops perk (because carrying 500 or so marines to board a capital is inconvenient).

Leadership is almost ignorable in 0.7.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 08:21:15 AM »

Oh I agree it's not something you'll invest in early on at all but once you get high level you'll have nothing to use your aptitude points on other than Leadership. I think its sort of a mental thing too; I really dislike seeing that supply drain /day there so Leadership and that other skill help to keep that number low and it makes me less bothered.

Lemme add up all my fleet together and see how many supplies its saving me per month:

3 Tugs - 3 supply per month saved
2 Kites - 2 supply per month saved
2 Buffalo - 3 supply per month saved
1 Onslaught - 20 saved
1 Gryphon - 10 saved
1 Aurora - 17 saved
1 Dominator - 12 saved
1 Afflictor - 2.5 saved
1 Wolf - 2.5 saved
1 Lasher - 2 saved
1 Medusa - 6 saved
3 Enforcers - 13.5 saved

Soooooo, Leadership 10 and Fleet Logistics 10 is saving me 93.5 supplies per month. Yeah, nothing super but its still something.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 10:09:41 AM »

I prefer to max everything in Combat and Technology (except maybe Field Repairs and Navigation) before I put any points in Command Experience or Fleet Logistics.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 11:27:33 AM »

Heh, I think by the time you have all 3 Aptitudes at 10 it doesn't really matter where you put your skill points anymore. To each their own.

grinningsphinx

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 06:21:20 PM »

In the base game, the logistics tree was apparently gutted and is badly in need of buffs.

In Starsector+ , its a little better but there are still some fairly worthless skills like Command Experience and Fleet Logistics.

Dude above is right...by the time you have to worry about 20 to 30+ supply costs per month its no longer and issue and the tiny bonus provided by the base skll and Fleet Logistics makes very little difference. Maybe if it were 5% per level for each skill.

sycspysycspy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2016, 02:00:27 AM »

The main benefit of Command Experience 10 now is double experience for crew, which means more trained crew to pack into liners then sell.  Making Do only means that you can sell even more and not be short-handed.

Base supplies per month costs is peanuts compared to repairs.  Skills that let you fight better are much more important than shaving a few supplies during an uneventful trip.

The most useful skill in Leadership now is Advanced Tactics, and I only put points in it for the Special Ops perk (because carrying 500 or so marines to board a capital is inconvenient).

Leadership is almost ignorable in 0.7.

Why do you sell your crews? I have 50k elite crews in my storage...

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2016, 01:47:23 AM »

Why do you sell your crews? I have 50k elite crews in my storage...
Infinite money farm.
Take basic crew and run them through a few battles to level them up, then sell them for more than you bought them for.

The single biggest thing that could be done to make the leadership tree more attractive/useful is to have a skill which decreases the amount of supplies used for repairs.
The second biggest thing would be to bring back logistics, since crew no longer eat supplies it would actually work as a means of balance and progression.