Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: looking for a vanilla-like mod  (Read 4161 times)

moontan

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
looking for a vanilla-like mod
« on: January 15, 2016, 08:35:28 AM »

i sucked the marrow out of the vanilla version.  ;)

i was wondering what good mods are out there that are close to vanilla...

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: looking for a vanilla-like mod
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 10:36:27 AM »

Have you played Nexerelin?

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 10:55:59 AM »

I'll just quote one of my old (modified) posts :

Most mods now require Lazylibs and Shaderlib to properly work, so use them. I you don't have a very good computer, i recommend you using Shaderlib basic edition. Also you might need to modify your vmparams files to avoid some saving/loading problems.

For the mods themselves, Ironclads is probably the oldest Total conversion and without a doubt the most complete. If you want something a bit different than Starsector. Okim had some troubles making it works with 0.7.1, so some features might be missing.

Starsector + is a mod that re-balance some elements of the original game, add a lot of new ships, weapons, properly integrate other factions mods and add a bunch of fancy features (randomised ships loadouts, boss bounties, etc). It's pretty much the same as the original Starsector, just with more stuffs. You'll have to separately download other factions to have them in game though. It also make the campaign quite a bit harder.

Nexerelin add random sector generation, planet/stations invasions, factions alliances, mining... You can directly start as a member of a faction without the whole reputation grinding. It also have the Corvus mode option, which allow everything said earlier but in the original sector.

And then the factions mods :

Blackrock Drive Yards is probably one of the most popular mod faction on the forum and for good reasons. BRDY is a high-tech faction with an emphasis on high mobility and powerful alpha strikes.

Interstellar Imperium is a mid-tech faction with extremely slow and sturdy ships that rely on long range fight, they also have cruiser sized missiles.

The Knights Templars are a very high-tech NPC faction that fill the role of end-game boss. It's usually best to ignore them until you amass a fleet that can steamroll without too much effort the Hegemony system defence fleet.

Junk Pirates / P.A.C.K. / ASP Syndicate is a pack of three factions. Junk Pirates uses an array of strange ships, each adapted for a particular role. PACK is a faction that rely on frigates and destroyers swarms to overwhelm their opponents. ASP Syndicate is a trader faction using combat freighters.

Shadowyards Heavy Industries is a high-tech faction with a wide variety of ships for every roles. They play a bit like the Tri-tachyons from the original game, with more fancy tricks.

The Mayorate is a mid/high-tech faction that work in a similar way to Blackrock with good mobility and lot of guns.

SCY is a mid-tech pseudo-pirate faction. They rely on their good mobility and extreme firepower. They also have a lot of funky mechanics, including ablative armors. Require the TwigLib fix to work.

Neutrino corp is a very high-tech faction with very powerful (and expensive) ships. One of Neutrino's trademark is their extremely strong but small shield.

Citadel is a mid/high-tech mercenary faction with efficient and fast ships. A bit expensive though.

Tiandong Heavy Industries is a low-tech mercenary faction as well, but instead focused on heavily armoured ships and oversized guns.

Pegasus Belt Council is a mid-tech faction with experimental ships. They're fairly slow but rely on their stasis beam to catch anything that come too close.

Diable Avionics is an high-tech, mostly carrier based faction. But instead of fighters, they have cool, transforming space mechs.

AI war add two factions, the spire and the dark spire. Weird, mineral aliens with extremely strong ships. The spire are the nice ones, the dark spire are douchebags.

P9 colony group is an high-tech faction, relying heavily on shields and mobility, as they have paper armor.

Hiigaran Descendants which are based on the Hiigarans from the Homeworld series. Not exactly balanced so be careful with this one.

Also, some handy utility mods :

Common radar mod that add a radar in combat and in the campaign screen.

Omnifactory is a very useful mod that add a factory station in the campaign. When you drop weapons and ships in it, it will disassemble them and will start producing those. Very good when you want to mass-produce some specific ships.

Save Transfer, so you can transfer your fleet/officers/money/exp to another campaign. Very handy when mods updates break the compatibility.

Version Checker can show at the start of a campaign if the mods you are using have updates available. If you don't regularly check the forum, it's pretty good.

Steiner Foundation offer a special station that sell cheap military ships to low level characters in campaign. It's good if you have trouble with early game.

Combat Chatter add flavor texts in combat, also warn you if a ship in your fleet is in trouble. Pretty invaluable if you like to play with large fleets.

I think this should keep you busy for a few hours.

Spoorthuzad

• Captain
  • Looking right into your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 10:56:05 AM »

Starsector+ adds alot of vanilla like ships to the game but does change the campaign a bit.
You can always just check individual mods in the mod index and look at the sprites and judge for yourself

moontan

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 11:09:05 AM »

tnx for the help folks, much appreciated!

think i'm gonna try Nexerelin first...

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 04:33:01 PM »

think i'm gonna try Nexerelin first...
you can try always try several at a time. Nexerelin and SS+ is a very popular combination, i think. throw in a couple faction mods and you've got a ton of new content.