Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Engine flame-outs being a bit wonky  (Read 2042 times)

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
Engine flame-outs being a bit wonky
« on: December 30, 2015, 01:01:15 PM »

Over the many hours of playing 0.7.1 with and without mods, i noticed some strange things with engine flame-outs.

*Disabled ships can have their engines disabled, and that causes the wreck to never decelerate.

*Sometimes disabled engines cause a non moving ship to move. I just had this happen to a cerberus in the simulator, something struck its engines while i was looking at a fighter squadron. the ship was strangely spinning out of control even though having not been moving at first.

And the odd rare case where the ship that has some but not all of its engines disabled suddenly has no limit on the speed at which it can turn, and simply spins into oblivion until it's other engine comes back online. Haven't found out how to replicate that, but it does happen with ships with maneuvering subsystems that increase speed/acceleration temporarily. Possibly the imbalance/placement of engines causes all the maneuvering subsystem thrust to go in that one engine, and it freaks out?

It has also only happened to the ship i was currently piloting. never an AI piloted ship.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Engine flame-outs being a bit wonky
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 01:07:40 PM »

Hmm. Everything here sounds like it's working as intended, honestly :)

And the odd rare case where the ship that has some but not all of its engines disabled suddenly has no limit on the speed at which it can turn, and simply spins into oblivion until it's other engine comes back online. Haven't found out how to replicate that, but it does happen with ships with maneuvering subsystems that increase speed/acceleration temporarily. Possibly the imbalance/placement of engines causes all the maneuvering subsystem thrust to go in that one engine, and it freaks out?

It has also only happened to the ship i was currently piloting. never an AI piloted ship.

You can compensate by steering in the other direction, which the AI does. It'll happen if most/all of the engines on one side are taken out, so some ships - like the Hound and Cerberus - are more susceptible to this happening.

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 01:11:25 PM »

Hmm. all right! seemed odd that the "engine disabled" popup would show for a ship that has already been disabled.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 01:16:57 PM »

Hmm. all right! seemed odd that the "engine disabled" popup would show for a ship that has already been disabled.

It's just a timing thing - must've happened *just* as the ship was being disabled. Fairly certain it couldn't happen after since the engines would be offline by then. Or was that what you were actually seeing?

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 01:38:15 PM »

I can't get it to replicate, i wouldn't worry about it. if it comes up again, ill be sure to screenshot it.