Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mercenaries  (Read 1545 times)

TheDTYP

• Commander
    • View Profile
Mercenaries
« on: December 30, 2015, 08:57:54 AM »

I've been thinking of an idea recently, regarding the factions of the game

Mercenary organizations.

Why not have groups like Ko Combine (and several others) fly around the sector open for the highest bidder? Pretty much the independent mercenaries that already exist in the game but with more out-there fleet compositions or character?

They wouldn't need to be big players in the Sector or anything (i.e. having their own markets) but perhaps they could be contacted through mission boards on certain planets or something.

My idea is that, since we now have hostility events, why not take it a step further? Say the Hegemony hires out the entire organization for a contract that lasts a year. Their fleets would be allied with the Hegemony and they would spawn from Hegemony worlds in a support capacity? All while Tri Tech or the Luddi have their own mercs running around.

Perhaps at some point, if the player was rich enough (1,000,000 credits?) they could hire the organization themselves?

Dabor

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Mercenaries
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 12:07:09 PM »

It sounds like a cool idea, and could expand into a lot of cooler ideas as the game itself improves. What if you're friendly with a merc group but end up in a war with them? Or maybe you're a high-ranking hedgemony officer and buddy-buddy with some high ranking mercs, so they're more willing to offer better prices to the hedgemony.

It'd also offer a way to see a lot of the game even if you're sticking to a single faction - if you're part of a merc group, you'll get to fight alongside, for and against various sides as the game progresses. If you're part of a faction, on the same note, you'll fight for and against various merc groups depending on how the game goes.

I consider it a mild weakness of the game that, by joining the Hedgemony, you never get to experience what it's like to fight alongside Tri-Tachyon against Hedgemony - at least, not in that file. The closest you could get is capturing TriTach ships and going after a rebel hedgemony bounty - which is quite rare.

It sounds like a good idea both in terms of what an individual player will experience and for expanding the game-world.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Mercenaries
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 12:24:16 AM »

I am pretty sure something of similar effects are in the planning phase.

It all depends on how A-man wants to handle industry, and obviously inclusion of some kind of multiple fleet and base control system.