Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: phrase "Skeleton crew" is misused, remove it mabye?  (Read 10542 times)

Inventor Raccoon

• Captain
  • Digging through trash for a hydroflux catalyst
    • View Profile
Re: phrase "Skeleton crew" is misused, remove it mabye?
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2015, 12:45:02 PM »

What if you actually tied the whole CR regen rate to the amount of crew you had? Having maximum crew onboard a ship would give it 100% CR regen, but having only skeleton crew would give you around 10% CR regen. The percentage would affect the actual CR recovery per day stat of the ship.

Therefore, a ship with full crew capacity (or passenger capacity) would have the full CR recovery per day stat of the ship, and a half-filled ship would only have half the CR recovery per day.
But that doesn't actually make sense. The full crew capacity is how much crew the ship is supposed to be able to comfortably fit. The skeleton crew (which is not the right term) is how much crew the ship needs to function at full capacity. You don't need to fill the ship to the brim with crew for it to work at full capacity, adding the extra hands just means you have replacements, not that you can use them to repair faster.

Dabor

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2015, 01:07:05 PM »

First off, a "more crew = perform better" thing would severely mess with passenger ships - it means that unless they're carrying 3,000 crew they're not performing at maximum capacity.

Second off, it completely ignores that these ships are meant to have spare space - for passengers, officers, marines, diplomats or whoever to be hitching a ride while having nothing to do with maintaining the armament of the ship.

If you have to be at 100% crew to get maximum repair/CR regen efficiency, then this means that it's not possible to carry backups - you'd just have to immediately head to a station to replace losses, since carrying more than 100% will slow your burn level and radically increase supply costs, but any player doing combat will want to be at maximum efficiency at all times (if possible).

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2015, 01:51:48 PM »

Let's not split hairs about what passengers are called, some of these arguments about them not being passengers are silly. If a troop transport carries 400 marines, the marines are passengers, even though they are marines and may be used in the boarding action.

Also we should consider the possibility of future mods or game changes making it so that there really are 'true' passengers. Notice how there are ~4 passenger ships in the game?

When you're looking at a ship, the 2 points you'll want to know are "How many crew does it need" and "How many extra people can it hold?"

The first question is answered directly by "Skeleton crew required" stat.  But for the second, you have to subtract in your head "Skeleton crew required" from "Maximum crew."

It makes a lot more sense to just say directly how many 'extra people' the ship can carry (passengers, crew on standby, marines, or whatever you want to call them)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2015, 02:14:46 PM »

Do not forget that maximum personnel capacity of ships includes both crew and marines.  (This is part of what makes Special Ops perk nice; you do not need a liner filled with about 500 pricey marines in case you get a chance to board a battleship.)  Who knows if the final game will include other personnel such as egghead scientists, pompous VIPs, helpless civilians, or other meatsacks that need to share quarters with our crew and marine goon squad.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2015, 03:45:01 PM »

I still do not see how passenger capacity can include crew members on standby. When a captain would be asked about how many souls his ship had, he would would not say 100 crew and 200 passengers, including 50 standby in the passenger number. He would answers 150 crew and 150 passengers. Spare crew have a really important job in the ship; Being always ready to replace and help. It is totally strange to be to see backup crew members as passengers. If this is how navy calls their backup crew members, I guess my logic is of my own. If anything and the passengers term should really be in there then it should be something like;

Needed Crew <- For how much crew you need to run the ship fully
Current Crew <- For how much Crew is currently on the ship
Passengers <- For anything but crew
Maximum Capacity or Full Carrying Capacity <- For how many people the ship can fit in.

Ignorance is bliss..

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2015, 07:16:55 PM »

I get what the OP is saying and it's not a big deal to me but...

...if such a change were to occur I'd basically like to see:

1.) Minimum Crew = absolute minimum for the ship to function. Severe CR penalties and whatnot but technically it can get from A to B. Currently not displayed in the game, beyond seeing the "not enough crew" in the fleet screen. Anything below this number results in the ship being at 0% CR if deployed.
2.) Ideal Crew = current "skeleton crew" number, i.e. the number required to operate at 100% efficiency (no CR penalties).
3.) Total Occupants = maximum carrying capacity of crew, marines, and passengers (should they exist)

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2015, 07:40:51 PM »

1.) Minimum Crew = absolute minimum for the ship to function. Severe CR penalties and whatnot but technically it can get from A to B. Currently not displayed in the game, beyond seeing the "not enough crew" in the fleet screen. Anything below this number results in the ship being at 0% CR if deployed.

I think the main reason that number is not displayed, or needed, is because you can't manually set how many crew members can stay on one ship. Since the game spreads your crew across the ships, currently the only way to have "minimum" crew on one ship, is to have minimum crew in all ships.I doubt that number could currently serve in anything. The player knows that he/she needs to rush to get crew when they see they are undercrew and normally just mothball some ships, to keep the others in full functionality.

One way I see that number being useful would be, if mothballed ships needed crew. If the player had just enough crew to save some mothballed ships, there should be calculation of which ships would survive with the remaining crew that could be spared. But that requires mothballing to need crew or you lose the ship.

Another way the number would be useful would be if there was a state like mothballing, where you would put the ship in a stabdby state, it would be useless for combat, but as long as it had the minimum crew in that state, it would not lose CR.

The reason I say this is because if you know the number of crew that the ship needs to have 1%CR, so before it reaches 0% CR, do not see why it would be useful. You will never use in battle a ship with CR being in the red, at least not if you have another option, or you like to see what happens when it malfunctions all the time XD
Ignorance is bliss..

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2016, 03:48:05 PM »

I agree with that "Skeleton crew" should be changed to "Required crew"
For Mothball, perhaps "decrew" would be most appropriate.

Dabor

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2016, 04:37:09 PM »

I agree with that "Skeleton crew" should be changed to "Required crew"
For Mothball, perhaps "decrew" would be most appropriate.

Well it's not just like there's no crew and it's running on autopilot. You don't maintain it, can't use it for fuel/cargo, and have none of its combat systems remotely ready. Everything but engine burn functionality is disabled.
Pages: 1 [2]