Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Commission ?  (Read 17237 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Commission ?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2015, 03:58:44 PM »

Both independents and pirates should not require commission to access the military, just like they don't care about transponders.  If some polity requires commission for their stuff, that polity is big enough to be a major faction in its own right.  For instance, the independents of Nortia should be the Nortian faction, not lumped with the rest of the independents, if they require commission for their military hardware.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2015, 05:05:56 PM »

The downside to this, is that if you don't want to be a comissioned lap dog resupplying can become quite "interesting", once all the factions are mutually hostile to each other all your carefully hoarded rep goes away quite quickly. :P

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2015, 05:51:36 PM »

If faction hostility events last a year, then it seems possible that all factions could all hate each other.  In my game with Tri-Tachyon, Tri-Tachyon became hostile to the remaining factions they were neutral too, and I can look forward at fighting everyone for several months.

Faction hostilities should have a shorter and/or more random duration.  It is harder to trade/do missions if everyone hates you.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2015, 06:17:28 PM »

Funny you should mention that.
My current game has almost everyone hostile to everyone else, the only exception being the neutrals and imperium are still okay with each other.
Everyone else routinely gets caught up in giant multi-fleet blobs which I can't/won't join, and buying anything more than a dozen items from any system that isn't Eos results in rep penalties.

I don't know exactly how this is supposed to work, but there have been several hostility events followed by armistice events.
But everyone is still pretty upset with everyone else.
It feels like the armistice events aren't reseting the rep counters, so everyone stays hostile since inter-faction rep never usually changes.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2015, 06:21:35 PM »

My game, too, became FFA warzone. Only exception is Luddic Path - CGR. Just one crusade away from total chaos...

Dibuk

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2015, 11:31:58 PM »

For a first iteration I think it works pretty well, I like the fact that it makes the world dynamic (perhaps even too dynamic at times) but I don't agree with the wars being to long. War do take a long time, and the aggressor should have to think about it as some other faction could attack them while they are busy.

Still, a solid first take on politics (and totally OT)

As for Pirate commissions, I see it as you being buddy with the ruling elements of the pirates and not just some random rag-tag scum. And like to see some fleshing out on the pirate side, much more fun to play the suppressed under-dog.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2015, 04:47:46 AM »

The rep penalties for trading with a faction's enemies in a contested system are ridiculously asymmetric at the moment.
1 cargo run of 200 supplies to Ragnar Complex earned me -22 rep with Tri-Tach, yet only +5 rep with Hegemony.
That's an obscene loss, given how long it'd take to regain such a rep loss.

Moreover, there are only two possible results to this behaviour:

- Contested systems become no-go areas, because any action in them will result in rep loss.
OR
- The rep loss will cause 1 (or more) factions to go Hostile to you, making 1 (or more) other systems no-go areas to you.

Either way, part of the map has become effectively inaccessible to you, lessening the sandbox, and depriving the player of content & choice.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 08:16:15 AM by TJJ »

ChrisH

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2015, 05:31:34 AM »

If pirates should ever hand out something like a commission, it should be called differently. Something like "sworn in on the pirate codex" :) 

"The Code"

"They're not as much rules as they are guidelines" - Captain Barbosa

SpacePoliticianAndaZealot

• Captain
  • The Show Stopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2015, 05:39:07 AM »

Pirates are all about bravado and swagger.

Onyvox

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2015, 03:56:28 PM »

IMHO - current commission requirements to get high grade ships are b******t.
There is no other way to get close to them except the "chance", which will be avalable never, to capture that ship by boarding it.
So how it is now - say bb to your rep and get one cool ship (which you might not even like) and say hello to your bunch of not so little not so friends. OR never get anything and pray to god for swift deliverance.

There is a Paragon I wanted. Welp, I got it. + HATE FROM EVERYBODY.
Now I think, I dont want that Paragon anymore. My old Onslaught XV whatever class was doing its job just fine and even better, without everybody else wanting my ass on a hueg stick.

That was my rant on the subject of my hate. Thank you for listening.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2015, 05:37:15 PM »

IMHO - current commission requirements to get high grade ships are b******t.
There is no other way to get close to them except the "chance", which will be avalable never, to capture that ship by boarding it.
So how it is now - say bb to your rep and get one cool ship (which you might not even like) and say hello to your bunch of not so little not so friends. OR never get anything and pray to god for swift deliverance.

There is a Paragon I wanted. Welp, I got it. + HATE FROM EVERYBODY.
Now I think, I dont want that Paragon anymore. My old Onslaught XV whatever class was doing its job just fine and even better, without everybody else wanting my ass on a hueg stick.

That was my rant on the subject of my hate. Thank you for listening.

It should be hard to get ships in vanilla. I am not saying I agree with how commission works, but it is not bad that the army of the faction tries to bind you to them, before they sell you their best weapons of destruction, which you could use against them. Maybe not for destroyers, but for capital ships and cruisers, it looks normal. The only way the play should be able to get these ships, without being in a way bound to the faction is an illegal way, which is of course the black market.

If I would play vanilla again though, this time I would not run around and bark for Hegemony like my last game. The best thing to do would be to fully raise first your reputation with the faction you want the ship from. As soon as you find the ship you want sold in the market, take the commission and buy it. After that ignore the faction asking you to attack their enemies and start trading, aiming to buy and sell from the black markets of the faction you have a commission with. At a point you will either reach by smuggling a negative neutral number, making them take away the commission or an investigation event will happen and poof, they will become inhospitable and take away your commission. Not faction will hate you and they will just be neutral in the negatives. Then slowly either build up your reputation with them and finally fly around the peaceful galaxy with your cool ships XD
Ignorance is bliss..
Pages: 1 [2]