Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: FPS Issues - FIXED: solved by clean install of new GPU driver  (Read 12203 times)

Adraius

• Commander
    • View Profile
FPS Issues - FIXED: solved by clean install of new GPU driver
« on: December 24, 2015, 08:26:43 PM »

Today I installed a fresh copy of Starsector and entered the game for the first time in a month or so.  For some reason, I cannot load saved games.  The loading bar appears and progresses to completion, but then I get a "Java has stopped working" message, followed by a message that closes the game.  I've installed a ton of mods, but the issue persists even when they are all disabled.  The only vanilla game files I have altered are vmparams to up the RAM allocation (4096m minimum and 8192m maximum, though I trust it'll never need that much) and settings.json to increase the boarding chance to .2.  Is there anything else that could cause this?  Anything I should try besides a full reinstall?

EDIT: read another thread, will try reducing my max RAM to 4096MB (it was fine in 0.65, but worth a shot) - I enter the amount in MB because for some reason using GB does not work on my machine.  I'll report back in a minute.  Also, can someone tell me where to find the logs?

EDIT2: still unable to load saves with 4GB max RAM.  I'd post logs if I knew how to find them.

EDIT3: found instago's thread on his/her similar issue, will trying deleting all files and re-installing.  There was something funky with my last install.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 04:12:27 PM by Adraius »

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot Load Saves
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 08:58:52 PM »

If you allocated 4 and 8 GB I am guessing you have more than 10 GB. I do not think that combination is bad. In my most modded game in 0.6 I have have Nexerelin, SS+ and 9 factions. My ram usage stays at 4.4-4.6 GB when I set it to 2GB min 5GB max. Like I mentioned on another thread, when Dark Revenant said that it would be better to have both min and max the same ammount, for me when I do that, the game leaks and ends up using all my computer's ram. Keeping ti to 2GB and 5GB seems to work much better for me. Of course my PC has only 8GB ram.

Seems some people though are having corrupt saves. I wonder if an update of a mod broke something.
Ignorance is bliss..

Adraius

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 09:02:57 PM »

Thanks for responding, weltall.  I just uninstalled the game, wiped every bit of data as I did so, reinstalled the game and made no changes other than increasing my RAM, and the game still crashes when I try to load a save.  The only thing I can think of changing at this point is switching to JRE 7 instead of 8.

EDIT: installed JRE 7 and the test save loaded right up!  Humph, strange, but that's that.  Can someone remind me where I can find game logs for next time I need to troubleshoot something? =P
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 09:13:46 PM by Adraius »

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 09:15:16 PM »

If you will switch to 7, make sure to not use The Mayorate. I remember reading a talk on it's thread on how the Mayorate is created with Java 8, so it causes crashes and trouble to people that use Java 8.

Does your game crash when you try to load older saves? Because I am sure older saves are incompatible with newer mods.

If you mean that you start a game, save and when you try to load your game crashes; If I was you I would slowly load all mods and try to find which of the mods is giving me that trouble. Like for example load the game first with jsut Nexerelin and SS+. If loading works, activate 3 factions and try again. Of course always make a new game, since activating mods while in the middle of a game causes crashes.
Ignorance is bliss..

Adraius

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 09:20:02 PM »

I'm starting a fresh game, so every save was newly created; my original save for the first couple tests, then a series of dedicated test saves to see if it could be reproduced under different conditions.  In fact, I just nuked all my old saves and never made backups... but I was never really intending to go back to those anyway.

Re-upped my max RAM allocation on your advice, BTW.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 09:28:53 PM »

And it crashes no matter what you do? Even with no mods or just for example Nexerelin?
Ignorance is bliss..

Adraius

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 09:34:09 PM »

Correct.  Completely vanilla install with only change for max RAM, creating and loading a test save crashes.

I'm now having issues with very laggy gameplay as if I had only default RAM allocation despite the fact is should have 4-6GB, working on that now.  Game now loads with all mods.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2015, 09:37:54 PM »

:/ Definitely not fun in XMas day to have that. Wait, have you tried to play the game without changing the ram settings and keeping the 32bit java?
Ignorance is bliss..

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2015, 09:39:07 PM »

How much RAM capacity your rig has?

Adraius

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2015, 09:57:56 PM »

No, come to think of it I haven't run it at all on the default JRE, I want to play a heavily modded playthough - hence why I patiently held off on playing the new patch until today's wave of updates!  I have 16GB of RAM to play with.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2015, 10:08:00 PM »

Obviously it will be just for the sake of testing. Since your game crashes and the only change is the java and ram, it could be the java you use for example. So if you run the game and it works, you will know it is the java you have downloaded and using.
Ignorance is bliss..

Adraius

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2015, 10:42:42 PM »

Good call.  Sure enough, using the original JRE without mods runs perfectly.  Even running vanilla under the 64-bit JRE 7 lags a bit - but that's the very same one I was using flawlessly with 0.65!.  I don't know what the heck is going on here.  Going to get the latest JRE 7 installer now, I used the one I downloaded months ago for 0.65, maybe there's been an update or something.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2015, 10:55:51 PM »

For me Java 8 in battles is faster than Java 7. Java 8 gave me more FPS. That of course on me PC, which means on other PCs that could not be the case. If you want to give Java 8 another chance, then I suggest this;

• Uninstall Java from your pc totally both 32bit and 64 bit, using Geek Uninstaller (after the files are uninstaled Geek Uninstaller looks up for remaining files and registry entries).
  • Restart PC
  • Download the new Java 32 and 64 bit and install them.
  • Copy the folder from your Java 64bit folder, which is of course in C:\Program Files\Java, to your game folder.
  • Try and see.

Oracle btw stopped sharing the latest Java 7 releases. The latest unreleased (it is only given to companies) version is 7u91 64bit.

As a sidenote; Try to run the game in windowed mode if you are playing in fullscreen. <-Just to test.
Ignorance is bliss..

Adraius

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2015, 11:09:20 PM »

Ugh.  No matter what, JRE 7 handles as if it only has 1GB of RAM.  I'll give your instructions and JRE 8 a try tomorrow.  Why do you recommend installing the 32-bit version at all?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 11:11:43 PM by Adraius »

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2015, 11:16:02 PM »

Because of habit actually XD In the past it was needed since all browsers used Java and they were all 32bit. Now it is only needed for Firefox XD Ahhh... times change!
Ignorance is bliss..
Pages: [1] 2 3