Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is It Possible to Get Rid of Some of the New Features?  (Read 1241 times)

Jay2Jay

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Is It Possible to Get Rid of Some of the New Features?
« on: December 22, 2015, 02:14:23 PM »

I don't like the sensor system, I really freaking hate it. So far it has made my game play miserable as I spend so much of my time looking for fleets I can take on while being ambushed by fleets that absolutely own me. I also hate the commission system, as it requires me to join another faction in order to access their military supplies, and it limits my options severely.

Though I do like the joining fleets mid battle and combat officers features.

I do think the sensor system could be changed to my liking, if I could simply make everything more visible, as it seems that huge fleets of ships seemingly disappear off my radar too easily.
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." ~Ghengis Khan

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Is It Possible to Get Rid of Some of the New Features?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 02:24:09 PM »

Two things to note with sensors:
1: Playing in easy gives a large bonus to sensor range, and it's possible to edit the settings file to further increase that and/or remove some of the other bonuses that easy mode gives you.
2: Transponder on vs. transponder off makes an enormous difference.  If you have transponder on and are hunting pirates, they will see you before you can see them.  If you have transponder off, you will be able to see patrols before they can see you, and can choose to avoid or activate transponder as appropriate.  (Exception: some terrain bonuses can overshadow transponder on/off status, but the AI isn't yet able to deliberately take advantage of that.)

Changing commissions requires a bit more digging, but is certainly doable.  Or you can run with SS+, which (at least in my games) seems to cause the black markets to have a much wider variety of weapons; you may still have some trouble getting specific high-end hulls, but at least for my vanilla no-commission games, weapons were harder to find than ships.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.