Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: So what can you do with the API on a weapon hit?  (Read 1232 times)

rogerbacon

• Commander
    • View Profile
So what can you do with the API on a weapon hit?
« on: December 21, 2015, 06:59:52 PM »

What sort of things can you do when a weapon hits its target?

Can you alter the damage at that point based on characteristics of the target ship and the firing ship? For example, if I want to reduce damage (even to zero) based on some ECM level of the target could I do that? Or modify the damage based on the relative speed of the ship and the shot?
Can someone point me to the part of the API where I might find the most useful functions for doing something like this? Or maybe a mod that does something like this as an example?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 07:06:12 PM by rogerbacon »

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
Re: So what can you do with the API on a weapon hit?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 01:29:03 PM »

The old mod Vacuum has quite a few reactions of weapon impacts. There is a form-fitting shield mechanic, which seems to work by nullifying any armor/hull damage and scripting it as though it were a shield impact.

I imagine Templars does something similar.
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire