Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19

Author Topic: [0.97a] Combat Chatter v1.14.1 (update 2024-02-18)  (Read 467037 times)

JohnDoe

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.7.1a] Combat Chatter v1.0
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2015, 11:49:25 PM »

This is exactly what I have been waiting for. Good job.

celestis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2015, 07:37:53 AM »

Looks pretty much useful, I'll definitely try it. Good job!

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2015, 01:30:13 PM »

This is a pretty amazing utility mod. Not only it makes the whole fleet easier to command (you immediately know when one team-mate is in danger), but it also make them feel more "alive". It's still more about functionality than personality though. Eventually, i'd love to see some more random comments from my ships during battle.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2015, 02:09:51 PM »

I've been looking for a mod like this for a pretty damn long time - awesome!  Impressive work. :)
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

tanith

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2015, 03:28:50 PM »

If you have not done so already: for the next version, can you have near-death frigates report a breach in the starboard fusion chamber?

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2015, 08:26:06 PM »

If you have not done so already: for the next version, can you have near-death frigates report a breach in the starboard fusion chamber?
Pretty sure the config lets you do that yourself.

Unless it uses the same text for each scale of ship, in which case I suppose you can't.

---
Nope, no filter for that.
---
Request that you have seperate text for ship size. Capital class ships might well have an entirely different reaction that, say, fighters, after all.\
---
Here is a file from a Gratuitous space battles Mod. While some most of it is ridiculous, it does at least show a bunch of events you might want to react to.

http://positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3887

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 08:41:30 PM by Ranakastrasz »
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

OOZ662

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2015, 09:59:09 PM »

I can hear it now: "The hull has been breached, and the science is leaking OUT"

"In space, no one can hear you scream unless you're broadcasting on the right radio frequencies."

Now that this mod is here, it seems odd that it wasn't done earlier. Like, in Vanilla even.
It is law that any specific ship you want will not be available. If it is available, it will be gone by the time you're capable of buying it.

valefore

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2015, 01:13:11 AM »

can you have near-death frigates report a breach in the starboard fusion chamber?

And never the port fusion chamber.

This mod is ingenious about such a simple idea. Best part is I can modify lines however I want! Wonderful wonderful mod and will try it out asap.

DanJSC

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2015, 09:50:32 AM »

Sorta makes me think of the battle chatter in games like Homeworld, S.P.A.Z and Gratuitous Space Battles. Looks pretty damn neat.

EDIT: Oh, i forgot to ask. Will/does the system define chatter differently based on crew skill, so green crew are more likely to speak in all caps with curses in their message, where as Vet or Elite crew are far more calm. (Eg, overload) So, a green's 'HOLY *** THE PANELS ARE SPARKING, I CANT DO ANYTHING!' to a regular's 'Overload! Get us out of here now!' and an Elite's calm 'They've overloaded us, repeat, ship overload in progress.'
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 09:56:13 AM by DanJSC »

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2015, 11:49:55 AM »

Here is a list of possible events you might want to react to.

Suggest allowing some variable arguments, like number from x-y, (possibly scaled based on ship size), Crew names (based on faction), and other stuff.

Flux (Shields are taking a beating, flux capaciters are half full already!) (Ah ****, That was not good for the shields, they won't take much more!)
Overload (flux capacitor 4 just lost containment! It needs replaced ASAP.) (Shield feedback just overloaded flux conduits 6 through 9!)
Venting (Venting Flux.)
Death (Get to the Escape pods!)
Vaporization (Overkilled so much that the ship is outright destroyed) (Get to th.... <Signal lost>)

Shockwave (from death explosion)
Phase shifting
Emp damage(We've got sparking consoles down here, must be an EMP.)
Engine damage (Our engines got knocked out of allignment, Repair team 6 to engine room!)
Weapon damage (The heavy mauler just took a hit and is jammed. Repair teams, get on that!)
Low ammo (Out of harpoons, I just fired my last one)
Low ammo weapon firing (Reaper torpedo, for example) (Firing Reaper!)

Armor (We have a breach in the starboard armor!)

Hullmod (If we didn't have Hardened shields, I doubt we could have survived that hit) (Good thing we got those Augmented engines. We wouldn't be able to retreat as easily without them.)

skill (Damage control teams! Get to work repairing the hull!) (Damage control level 10)

Skill (Fortress shield) (I'm INVINCIBLE) (Divert all power to the Shields!)
       (High energy focus/Ammo Feed) (Full power to the weapons!)

Size (Fighters, for example, might use different statements.)

Engine hit (That hit knocked my engines out. I'm a sitting duck here!)

Death (from other fighter) "Charlie just got taken out!"
Vaporization "Charlie's fighter just disintegrated/came apart!"

Hit friendly
(Sorry,)
(Watch it!)
(Check your fields of fire!)
(What do you think you're doing?)
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2015, 06:52:19 PM »

Thanks for the contributions, people! (Though InventorRaccoon I think you attached the wrong file ;))

@Ranakastrasz: Some neat ideas. Though I don't want to clutter the screen with too many messages of low importance to the player; I disabled the pursuit messages for this reason.

Differentiating by ship size is probably too finely grained for the limited number of lines available at present, though I'll see how it goes.

Will/does the system define chatter differently based on crew skill, so green crew are more likely to speak in all caps with curses in their message, where as Vet or Elite crew are far more calm. (Eg, overload) So, a green's 'HOLY *** THE PANELS ARE SPARKING, I CANT DO ANYTHING!' to a regular's 'Overload! Get us out of here now!' and an Elite's calm 'They've overloaded us, repeat, ship overload in progress.'
Using crew level to help decide the character of officerless ships is a good idea. Putting it in, thanks :)

Now that this mod is here, it seems odd that it wasn't done earlier. Like, in Vanilla even.
Mods couldn't write to the upper-left message field until 0.7, though it does seem like a gap in the vanilla feature set.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2015, 07:47:16 PM »

Thank you so much Histidine. Finally I will know when to kick some important ships out of battle, or know when they are in trouble. You are always helping players and even modders XD
Ignorance is bliss..

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2015, 08:01:12 PM »

If possible I would like to be able to turn down/ off the frequency of certain lines/ events as I only want certain relevant lines relating to their hull levels. Well that and because vanilla combat HUD sucks (resources) and this mod makes it worse sadly...
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2015, 08:27:24 PM »

Yep. A config to disable specific events.
Possibly, if it were feasible, have two seperate message boards, (Not sure if possible) one with useful information, and one with flavor information.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2015, 09:48:02 PM »

If possible I would like to be able to turn down/ off the frequency of certain lines/ events as I only want certain relevant lines relating to their hull levels. Well that and because vanilla combat HUD sucks (resources) and this mod makes it worse sadly...
chatterConfig.json -> idleChatter = false (blocks everything except hull and overload messages)
(maybe the variable needs renaming)

Might do a per-type message toggle later, but it strikes me as overkill.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19