Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Basic Balance Oversights  (Read 19006 times)

Gezzaman

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Basic Balance Oversights
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2016, 09:57:03 PM »

With that said, the only use of the Starliner I see is "future" use. Be it to move around large amounts of people to help planets populate, provide more workforce for your factories or get large amount of marines to attack a planet and take it over.

Just add transport type missions into the game.

X amount of Citizens want to safely cross the galaxy to another system within X amount of time. Will you do it for $X

Bonus $X if you do not engage in combat

Alex should really implement it and make civilian craft a lot more viable.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2016, 10:17:38 PM »

Although that type of mission is not illogical, I do not see people using it as a main way to make money. Adding that mission, would mean that Valkyrie (and any other passenger transport ship)  is useful mostly for a type of mission, that people will not really do. Citizen ships to me seem like just part of the world, that are going to appear in civilian fleets. At least I can't imagine myself acting like a spacebus. You could argue that someone could make the payout big, but how large the payment can be, to make it worthwhile. At least usually in games you get the big buck to transport one or a couple of important people while you know you will be attacked because of that.

With that said, like I take as something normal to see "useless" civilian ships, as part of the world, I guess seeing missions to transport civilians would not be a bad thing. Not something overly useful, but definitely will not break anything. Of course there are the people that will want the game to be less cluttered with missions they never take and along "less" immersive. Personally I never minded the clutter, as long as it makes me feel more into the world of a the game.
Ignorance is bliss..

ChaseBears

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2016, 03:10:52 AM »

passenger missions where you 'avoid combat' or 'get there in minimum time' or 'conduct a tour, get rated on the sights you see' are time-honored missions in the genre.  They work well if navigation is itself compelling, and i think Starsector pulls it off; i.e. dodging both enemy fleets and hyperspace storms is reasonably difficult.

If I were creating the world I wouldn’t mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o’clock, Day One!

Zudgemud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2016, 04:31:36 AM »

passenger missions where you 'avoid combat' or 'get there in minimum time' or 'conduct a tour, get rated on the sights you see' are time-honored missions in the genre.  They work well if navigation is itself compelling, and i think Starsector pulls it off; i.e. dodging both enemy fleets and hyperspace storms is reasonably difficult.

Even better, participate in big fight without the civilian passenger liner taking hull damage, the liner autodeploys at the start of the encounter!

Recklessimpulse

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2016, 12:16:48 PM »

the ability to sell crew is a little weird.

in fact, really weird. sure you can buy them, in the form of contracts for whatever duration, but just offloading thousands of men on some backwater for credits? a backwater lawless warzone? why would they leave? why not just mutiny that instant?

basically it makes no sense but w/e

I always felt that the price you pay upfront it probably the amount a normal person earns in an entire life time (Similar to the cost of some weapons.) So it's basically a suicide job you pay them, they get to live rich in port or give the money to family and they fully expect to die so getting the contract sold to some lawless war zone is fine with them.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2016, 03:10:03 AM »

Even better, participate in big fight without the civilian passenger liner taking hull damage, the liner autodeploys at the start of the encounter!

Both these would be fun. It'd be like running a tourbus in X2.
Come and see the exciting space pirates and murderous xenophobic AI! Don't worry folks, you're perfectly safe aboard this barely armed tube with engines strapped to it.

Great, now I have to go and find those discs....
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]