Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Deploying into In-Progress Battles  (Read 3620 times)

Unbroken

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Deploying into In-Progress Battles
« on: January 01, 2016, 01:45:34 PM »

I've been really enjoying my current playthrough of the game with mods. There's only been a few things that have caused me grief (some of which were self-inflicted), however there's one recurring thing that I don't believe has been posted about yet.

When you join a large fleet battle, there are times when your allies clog the area where you would jump into. Normally this is not a big deal as they'll move out within a few seconds - the problem is when the allied admiral AI (or whichever system handles who participates in a in-progress battle) deploys ships with very low CR, or even 0% CR ships. At this point, it is almost guarenteed that the jump area will have ships that cannot do literally anything useful, and when you deploy, you'll go flying at max burn right into their malfunctioning engines.

In a couple instances, I have taken some fairly nasty frontal armor damage forcibly moving the toothless hulks simply so I could participate in the battle. I haven't had any friendly fire incidents occur directly because of this, but I can imagine cases where something squishy, such as a frigate, gets run over by a player's capital ship and dies as a result. To try and solve this, I'd like to suggest two things:

a) that when the battlemap loads up, there's a 'safe zone' where no allied ships will spawn, enabling you to deploy without any problems, and
b) tweaking the joined battle system so ships with 0% CR (or even below 10%) will not be deployed into a battle, since they either cannot contribute at all, or can barely do so.

If anyone needs/wants screenshots of what I mean, I'll try to get a bunch at a later time.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 05:12:47 PM by Unbroken »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Deploying into In-Progress Battles
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 05:37:01 PM »

Hi - yep, addressed for the next release. Take a look here[/url.

Unbroken

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 06:39:09 PM »

Hi - yep, addressed for the next release. Take a look here[/url.

Ah, wrong forum. Thanks!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 07:04:36 PM »

No, it was the right forum - the other one was the wrong forum :) No big deal either way, though!

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 10:35:02 AM »

b) tweaking the joined battle system so ships with 0% CR (or even below 10%) will not be deployed into a battle, since they either cannot contribute at all, or can barely do so.

I have no problems with this, as ships loose CR during battle too and you are jumping into a battle IN PROGRESS. It makes no sense for all ships to be in perfect condition or for all damaged ships to magically retreat immediately.

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 06:22:41 PM »

When you join a large fleet battle, there are times when your allies clog the area where you would jump into. Normally this is not a big deal as they'll move out within a few seconds - the problem is when the allied admiral AI (or whichever system handles who participates in a in-progress battle) deploys ships with very low CR, or even 0% CR ships. At this point, it is almost guarenteed that the jump area will have ships that cannot do literally anything useful, and when you deploy, you'll go flying at max burn right into their malfunctioning engines.

In a couple instances, I have taken some fairly nasty frontal armor damage forcibly moving the toothless hulks simply so I could participate in the battle. I haven't had any friendly fire incidents occur directly because of this, but I can imagine cases where something squishy, such as a frigate, gets run over by a player's capital ship and dies as a result. To try and solve this, I'd like to suggest two things:
I've had that happen to me, but only once. The allied commander had deployed an Onslaught and the Tempest I deployed burn-drived straight into its engines and blew up, causing the Onslaught to suffer a burnout and get stuck there, preventing me from immediately deploying more ships. A very rare situation, but I'm glad it's been fixed.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 06:24:51 PM by ANGRYABOUTELVES »

Adraius

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 09:13:21 PM »

Question: have you checked to see if the automatic shutoff on the travel drive will not cause collisions of its own when you have large fleet warp-ins?  For example, you're warping in a fleet of a ten cruisers, which form into two lines, behind an allied fleet that had a capital ship that couldn't clear the deployment zone.  Do cruisers in the back line slam into the ones that came to a halt in front of them, or will their drives also cut off in time?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 09:29:48 PM »

Question: have you checked to see if the automatic shutoff on the travel drive will not cause collisions of its own when you have large fleet warp-ins?  For example, you're warping in a fleet of a ten cruisers, which form into two lines, behind an allied fleet that had a capital ship that couldn't clear the deployment zone.  Do cruisers in the back line slam into the ones that came to a halt in front of them, or will their drives also cut off in time?

Yeah, it should cut off with time to spare. Does in the cases I've tested, if anything it's on the conservative side.

sycspysycspy

• Commander
  • Translator of the Council of AL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 01:57:00 AM »

There is one more issue with the battle happened at asteroid belt, not sure if it's because of the mods I have installed. At the deployment area there are a lot of asteroids hanging there, my poor ship crashed into the asteroids and lose half of the hull, then I ordered him to retreat. On his way back, he crashed into asteroids again and lose the other half of the hull...
Please report any translation error to me with PM.
- I just went over to my bank account and figured out I can live comfortably without working for the rest of my life as long as I die on next Tuesday.