Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: LEAST Favorite Ship  (Read 37591 times)

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: LEAST Favorite Ship
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2012, 06:16:41 PM »

I don't really hate the Apogee, but I get why other people do. It does punch below its weight, and it's mobile, but not mobile enough to be fun. I actually kind of like it. It's design is pretty cool-- I prefer long shaped ships as opposed to squat or round ones like the Dominator or Medusa (sorry people).

Remember! Favorites aren't just about performance, lore, appearance, all valid components in your final assessment.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2012, 06:18:20 PM »

actually, if you roll the tanker every time using the sell all ships exploit, you could reach a theoretical max of 85000 credits

Ishikawa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2012, 12:02:00 AM »

I currently have an Apogee in my fleet, helped me out killing my first paragon together with my Aurora, a Tempest, a Wolf and my Medusa, it works well overall if i don't send it around alone.

Least favorite ship is the Tempest, even though i like it in my fleet all those battles where one or two or three just run out on me produced a lot of hate there ;)

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2012, 01:13:21 AM »

It's taken a lot of thought, but my absolute least favourite ship would probably be the Brawler.

I can dig the Hound, as it seems like it will be very useful as part of a trading fleet, backed up with a few more combat capable craft to take up the front line.

The Apogee would also be one of my preferred flagships, when things like cargo and fuel matter a bit more. It just performs well all-round, if not the best in combat.

And yeah, I completely condone the use of the Venture as Fire Support. I tricked mine out with Swarmers on the small missile mounts to give it a little bit more against fighters, and it stacks well with the missleracks you are going to give it to buff the Pilum LRMs. It is awfully slow, though. Less of an issue for traders or miners, more an issue whilst the game consists of running after fights in a single system.

It's just, the Brawler. I can see how it COULD be quite a useful ship, and if you don't take care of them early, they might give you a problem with some reasonable firepower. It's just, they can not cope with more than one engagement at a time. You just wait for their backs to twitch, and start wailing at their behind until they pop.

I have had a lot of fun flying one, and it is satisfying when you take down a ship you should have no rights to destroy, but of all the ships available, it is my least favourite.

I can't hate the Omen. It' just too bad.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

blackfang

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2012, 06:21:16 AM »

My least favorite ship is actually the lasher, i know some of you like it but i see its faults. As long as i don't engage it with fighters i win, i usually start with a hound and altough a hound is said to be weak its actually damned strong against the lasher and pretty much any other ship not equipped with beams. If you want a winning tip with the hound against the lasher, don't try to keep your distance. Ram him and keep him close, he runs out of flux before you run out of ammo and you will probably only loose 500 health if you loose any at all. Your forward guns are perhaps the most powerful forward guns in the start of any of the frigs. (That really means i love playing the hound but the ai can't play it.)

cardgame

• Commander
  • Sonic Rainboom
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2012, 10:22:03 AM »

IDK about you, but spamming missiles at AI Hounds kills them very quickly, even Pilums.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2012, 12:01:38 PM »

When I'm fighting the Hound I find it really shines when its supporting destroyers or cruisers, especially when there are two of them. I made the mistake of ignoring a pair of hounds while tackling a destroyer - I was quickly destroyed :D. It packs a huge punch for its size and fleet cost, but is a swarmer ship that will die quickly if alone. The bad reputation of hounds I think is a by product of the AI sending out lone ships to capture objectives.

That said they have crap for point defense and the missiles on a wolf can take down 2-3 without blinking :P

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2012, 07:13:19 PM »

With recent playing of The Last Hurrah, I must say that the Conquest is now my least favorite ship.

I mean, I can see what it's trying to do, but it just doesn't do it. And that's why it's my least favorite. It's not that the ship is crappy, it's that it's not doing what it's designed to do.

Let's start with it's problems compared to the Onslaught and in general:

The flux capacity is less than the Onslaught. This is offset by dissipation, but it means that the Conquest cannot take sudden attacks as well.
The shield is too small and too slow to turn. Meaning that any surrounding enemy is going to have a field day. This is especially dangerous if you fail to pay attention to that one bomber wing that comes from the other side for even a few seconds. Oh, and it costs more to maintain than the Onslaught's shield which is DOUBLE the size even if it isn't Omni.
The main guns, while much more powerful, are all to the sides! Meaning facing your enemy means no main guns! But your torpedoes are to your front; meaning you cannot turn to the sides if you want to use your torpedoes! Main guns to the sides also means that the only way to get the most out of your ship is to be surrounded; which is not what your shield is designed for!
While it's faster than the Onslaught, it's not even nearly fast enough to make up for it's weaknesses! It also cannot turn fast enough to really choose which guns you use on your enemies.
It's armor is thinner than the Onslaught and it's hull integrity is much worse than the Onslaught. When overloaded, the Conquest would go down much faster, and in general even without overloading it can't take the fire coming it's way.
While you're a smaller target when facing the enemy to the front, when facing the enemy to the side--the only way to use your main guns--you're a VERY large target.

Someone, give me some help here on how I should be piloting this thing. It just seems like piloting a Conquest requires two or more people controlling it to even stand a few seconds in an actual fight. And even then it just doesn't seem like it can face against even two cruisers with a few missile racks. It's just plain silly how it feels like a Hammerhead--a destroyer--has a longer lifespan in the different combat situations they're supposed to be in.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2012, 08:20:11 PM »

Being that the Conquest is in fact my favorite ship, I'd be happy to give you some advice.

You're pretty observant, so you've noted a lot of the Conquest's weaknesses, namely that it's flux capacity really gargles nuts. If you're playing in dev mode, you can mess around with its loadout, and I personally dropped the Mjolnir cannons for Hephaestus guns, because really, those things flux up way too hard.

But if you're not, I still do have some advice. You're right that the shield turns slow, but its' coverage isn't bad and the Conquest actually has some fantastic mobility for a ship of it's class. Always move with the pack, and don't be afraid to reverse. If you find yourself in need of redirecting your shields, a trick is to no try and turn the shields but instead drop them and restart them in the area of your choosing. You're trading coverage for location here, but coverage doesn't mean a damn if it's in the wrong place. Vent WHENEVER possible, and often. If there's a Lasher or a wing of Talons around, don't even give a ***, just vent.

The spinal torpedoes are probably your most important asset. Two volleys of those will jack up anything, Onslaught or not. So your approach should be a question mark; come in with your spinal mounts facing the enemy, and launch your torpedoes whenever you're confident in having them hit, then break to a side-- preferably the side with your forces on it and swing around, letting your powerful broadside hammer the sides and then the back of whatever you're hitting.

Part of your frustration is definitely that the Conquest isn't really set up right for the Last Hurrah, where the biggest problem, honestly, is the fact that you get zoned out by fighters. It's got those Mjolnirs, and it hasn't got enough in point defense. But take my word for it-- one of these days, you'll burn in on an Onslaught, blow his shields away with your torpedoes, come around hammering him silly with your broadside, as your wolfish grin widens-- the firing arcs of your torpedoes lining up with that fat bastard's engines..... and you will enjoy it heartily.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

AdmiralMaelstrom

• Lieutenant
  • When death approaches, fire another volley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2012, 08:53:40 PM »

Ok, so people like the Hound... but... it just dies SO easy and I hate the bloody thing. HOWEVER, there is one ship (or fighter rather) that takes the cake. Talon wings. Good God in heaven send me some real fighters!
Whatever it takes, no matter the cost.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2012, 08:55:52 PM »

In all fairness to the Talon, they're pretty fast and at 3 CP, you can zone out your enemy early game. Just put your green pilots in them, and don't keep them on the field of battle long. Far more useful than the Hound.

Regarding the Hound, I'm pretty sure that the challenge flying one presents is half its appeal. Which I do get.

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2012, 09:18:51 PM »

To be fair to the Hound, one use I found for the hound is softening up fighter wings: Shoot at the enemy fighter wings, but don't care about destroying them. Your own fighters should take less time to wipe them out. And you can dodge missiles pretty well, allowing you to drain the enemy of their missiles. Otherwise, it's bloody useless against anything with a shield.

Anyway, thanks for the advice Iscariot. I'll try it if I ever get the chance to fly one outside of The Last Hurrah.

Hrath

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2012, 10:08:29 PM »

Onslaught- No question....
It has horrible turning rate, and a very suckish firepower, meaning that if your forces get too far away, anyone get blown them to bits, and then just go after you. The firepower is WAAAAAYYYYY too meagre on this beast for the weight that it is, they really should adjust that!

Kommodore Krieg

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2012, 10:33:03 PM »

Onslaught- No question....
It has horrible turning rate, and a very suckish firepower, meaning that if your forces get too far away, anyone get blown them to bits, and then just go after you. The firepower is WAAAAAYYYYY too meagre on this beast for the weight that it is, they really should adjust that!

I personally love the Onslaught.  It has insane survivability and firepower, and you can equip it so many ways.  I put augmented thrusters on usually, which makes using the two forward hardpoints much easier, then cover it in flak cannons in the medium slots, and one dual flak on the front med slot, which means it shreds nearly 100% of missiles and almost all fighters.  I usually don't even need to raise shields against a bomber wing because the wall of flak annihilates the bombs way before they get to me.  Then I have either railguns/heavy autocannons or various needlers to kill shields, 2x hellbore on the front to mangle anything that gets in the way, and 3x hephaestus with 4x pillum or 4x reaper.  That missile barrage is so deadly.

Least favorite ship though would be ALL the tri tachyon ones.  It's not that they are bad, I just prefer the unstoppable heavy armor, ballistic approach to the flit around with shields and energy weapons style. 

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2012, 11:12:19 PM »

How can the Onslaught have suckish firepower? It can mount some of the heaviest guns around; 5 Large and 9 medium slots, beating a Paragon, which is only outdone by a Conquest. And even then it has more Ordnance Points. The only shortage it has is large missile slots and small ballistic slots. There is no way that is suckish firepower.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7