Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: LEAST Favorite Ship  (Read 37677 times)

sundaecat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: LEAST Favorite Ship
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2012, 10:56:45 PM »

anything slower then the medus class that i can kill with my hyperion( i dont think capital ships count in this)
the sunder isnt too bad when properly flown though

Sucky Jack

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2012, 11:42:57 PM »

The Sunder with the Tachyon Lance actually works alright-- if you assign it to a fire support waypoint with other LRM platforms like Buffalos, Condors, whatnot. My main issue with using it in campaign is wasting a 30,000 credit weapon on the SUNDER, and risking it in combat. It literally costs more than the ship.

The Sunder only needs one weapon, the Tachyon Lance.  And it's the safest ship in your fleet to let mill about and do what it will in large fleet actions.  Why?

Because it's not a fast ship compared to the Medusa, so it shouldn't be on your front line but rather in the first reinforcement wave after you take the closest objectives.
It's own range will ensure it will never get to close to anything dangerous as it will not be getting the Engine Boost due to firing it's weapon.
It's cheap on fleet points for the amount of firepower it brings to the fight.
And if you are really concerned about fighters you can outfit the 3 turrets with PD mounts and place Swarmer Missiles in the missile slots.

Besides, one word describes what happens to a fighter that get tagged by a Tachyon Lance.  Popcorn.

(Also helps that I haven't started a world where the first convoy dropped 3 of the things in the station, no mods  ;D)

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2012, 11:44:31 PM »

How can the Onslaught have suckish firepower? It can mount some of the heaviest guns around; 5 Large and 9 medium slots, beating a Paragon, which is only outdone by a Conquest. And even then it has more Ordnance Points. The only shortage it has is large missile slots and small ballistic slots. There is no way that is suckish firepower.

Yeah, "sucky firepower" and Onslaught really can't be put together at all. Perhaps he was commenting more on the range, though. The reliance on ballistics does make the Onslaught's range rather meager compared to energy-weapon-utilizing ships.
I did make an onslaught with intentionally sucky firepower (or well, rather, using very low-OP weapons (light mortars & basic flak cannons) so that I could dump all the OP into things like engines, shields, armor, hull, etc), and it was able to tank damage so well that I took out an onslaught with "proper weaponry" (though I ended up using nearly all of my light mortars' ammo and consequently had to withdraw)

Nanostrike

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2012, 12:04:45 PM »

Least favorite?  There's a difference between "Least Favorite" and "Worst", so...

My least favorite is probably the Tempest.  I'm sick of seeing them everywhere, they're not fun to fight unless you're also in a Tempest, and they're just plain annoying.

However, when it comes down to the worst ship and the ones I'll refuse to fly, it's a toss up between the Omen and the Brawler.  In fact, Qloss inspired me to make a montage of my Brawler's highlights in a random battle:

VikingHaag

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2012, 02:42:23 PM »

The hound, god forbid i ever have one in my fleet to lose 15 crewman on.
It's fast....ok, that's about it.
I watch it go boom as soon as a wasp wing intercepts it.
With 11 wasps wing in my fleet they can't even fire the assault chaingun before going boom.

Dreyven

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2012, 02:52:21 PM »

With 11 wasps wing in my fleet they can't even fire the assault chaingun before going boom.

wow... what a comparison...
i could just say that 6 hounds can kill most destroyers with ease...
does this make most destroyer bad? XD

my least favorite ships are the tempest
and the vigilance (so useless!!)

VikingHaag

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2012, 05:45:59 PM »

wow... what a comparison...
i could just say that 6 hounds can kill most destroyers with ease...
does this make most destroyer bad? XD

my least favorite ships are the tempest
and the vigilance (so useless!!)

Pirate fleet, somehow had 20 hounds, 6 destroyers and some major ships.
My first wave, carrier and 7 wasp wings, theirs , 9 hounds and some other ships.
Before i reached the comm-link all hounds were disabled...... sorry, but  if 7 fighters blow up 9 "frigates" i'll call them bad.

Durandal

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2012, 07:54:12 PM »

Least favorite?  There's a difference between "Least Favorite" and "Worst", so...

My least favorite is probably the Tempest.  I'm sick of seeing them everywhere, they're not fun to fight unless you're also in a Tempest, and they're just plain annoying.

However, when it comes down to the worst ship and the ones I'll refuse to fly, it's a toss up between the Omen and the Brawler.  In fact, Qloss inspired me to make a montage of my Brawler's highlights in a random battle:

Ah, this is a meme I can get behind. :D

My pick has to be the Brawler for all the above reasons.  Slow as hell, only fixed forward firepower and a fixed shield.  The only viable tactic with this is to pick off crippled pirate fleets and get enough spare cash to sell the Brawler for something better.  I could see it doing much better if it was actually fast but its horrid speed and turn rate means that it really feels its limited arc of fire.  If there were some decent medium ballistic strike weapons I could see them being good against larger ships (maybe with a speed boost) but as it stands they suck against...  well everything and there is no ship that can't do their job better.

Psygnosis

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2012, 05:00:20 PM »

Dont dis the houd, my shuttle, lasher and carrier got torn to shreds by 2 hounds and a lasher.

Houds speed is defiantly their strong point

On the other end of the scale, brawlers i think are terrible. above average hp for sure, but not enough to counter their speed... or lack there of.

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2012, 07:05:53 PM »

least favorite ship is really hard to nail down.. there are so many ships people dont fly either because they dont work in there fleet.. there rare. or they just dont use them. i personally cant nail it down to one unit... so top 5

tanker ( has no purpose as of yet really)
hound ( i dont use it much though it does have good speed. they still have a very high mortality rate.)
brawler( hounds can kill them because there so slow.. but they do have really good firepower.. if you can use it)
Omen ( exceedingly rare. had it as my flag ship for a time. excellent maneuverability top notch speed. paper for armor. paper for hull.)
buffalo MKII (good weapons platform as long as its in a long range support role... which it cant fill very well. no shields and mostly target practice for anything with weapons range over that of a machine gun.)

also because it should not be forgoten

« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 07:14:08 PM by arwan »
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2012, 06:01:14 PM »

The brawler's AI is just borked.  It will refuse to engage 'Lasher' class ships or anything carrying missiles.  I even gave it a reticules amount of firepower to test this and a bunch of PD systems.  Same result.

Half-full

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2012, 08:22:00 PM »

k
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 05:36:56 PM by Half-full »

PsychoWolfen

• Ensign
  • For the Steel Wolves
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2012, 10:54:11 PM »

2 of my least favorites ships are the Tarsus-Class and Sunder-Class.

Tarsus-Class Doesn't have much for what its running with, I'm glad it has OMNI shields but i don't want 4 small ballistic mounts on the damn thing. I'm thankful i strapped stronger yellow weapons on him (2 Cluster Bomb-bays Front and 2 Light Dual MG's to pick off missiles) but some times i just don't bring him on missions due to his poor speed.

Sunder-Class, Good God i hate piloting this thing, such bad turning that makes it drift and hit things, plus its bad armor doesnt allow for much survival on the battlefield so hitting things is going to make you rage. Its the only Destroyer-Class that can equip a large energy weapon, but go luck ever having more then 4000 flux with those 2 med energy weapons which is usually the pulse lasers, but you keep venting after every ship you destroy.

I would be better off in a Gemini-Class ship then the Sunder

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2012, 11:01:27 PM »

Try mounting a Tachyon on that Sunder and keep it back.

Tachyon fire support, without any of the cost of a battleship or cruiser.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2012, 10:27:25 AM »

The flaw with the sunder isn't in the ship itself; it's in the rather lacking selection of large energy weapons.  There's exactly one large energy weapon that out-dpses medium energy slots - and that's the plasma cannon, which the sunder really just doesn't have the flux capacity to support.

Tachyon lance is definitely the way to go; support it with a pair of light needlers (leave those medium energy slots empty), extended shields, improved maneuverability, 20% range increase... field that thing in your initial wave of fighters, and it's devastatingly effective at giving you initial map control.  With the needlers to take down enemy shields, it's even good at killing low-to-mid-tech destroyers & cruisers.  Or you can just have it retreat after you're done sniping fighters, and shift your flagship to something else.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7