Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: LEAST Favorite Ship  (Read 37716 times)

Qloos

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: LEAST Favorite Ship
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 11:00:29 AM »

I thought the hound was in the "match box" classification.  Strike once and watch it burn.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 11:16:20 AM »

Ba-dum-tishhhhh...

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 11:24:09 AM »

you cant get your hound threw airport security... its a strike anywhere match. LOL.

my least fav.. probably the buffalo MKII a destroyer with no shield is slow and poor area coverage. = target practice. if i capture one and it manages to stay alive i sell it at the first oportunity i get.. assuming the airlocks dont magically open and the ship scuttle itself.

though a close second would be the venture. the cruiser that wants to be a carrier but fails at both being a cruiser with any power and a carrier.. and is slow as snot to boot. i have capital ships that are faster.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Icelom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 11:27:24 AM »

The Brawler... its just to slow to even get in range of its targets. Add to that a none omni sheild and salamanders eat it for breakfast.

I dont mind having a buffalo II or more in my fleet (to bad they are slow as hell) its nice to have the missile support. It sucks on its own but in a fleet situation with expanded missile racks and armor mod its not horrible. (its stock version without expanded missiles is stupid)

cardgame

• Commander
  • Sonic Rainboom
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2012, 12:45:54 PM »

I haven't piloted my captured Venture myself, but the four ballistic hard points (two of which I gave LRM Phylums and two MRM Harpoons) are very nice for supporting my Hyperion. I did label it as a Fire Support since it doesn't really have any major firepower aside from those.

SgtAlex86

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 12:51:55 PM »

i really thought venture was real cruiser... till i encountered real cruiser... my 1 blaster vs 4blaster +3 lasers didnt end well...

ClosetGoth

• Commander
  • Permanently TTRPG-brained
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 02:10:11 PM »

Well, I think I will be the only one here to say that my least favorite ship is the APOGEE.

It has a ludicrously flux-generating shield, which is also a 360 front shield. With its long thin shape, the shield MASSIVELY increases the hitbox. Also, its weapons generate huge flux, and so consequently it overloads in record time.

It is a faster cruiser, and the most expensive one out there, but it can't hold its own. It overloads too fast too fight against other cruisers, and can't accelerate fast enough to get away after it quickly overloads, leaving its weak armor to get torn to pieces. With its terrible shield and flux venting, it is relegated to sniping, and picking on the weaker of the destroyers. For such an expensive and high-tech ship, it has some MAJOR design flaws, and isn't worth the fleet points to deploy it.
Starfaring since the very beginning of 2012

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2012, 02:29:32 PM »

The Apogee does indeed punch below its weight, probably because as the lore indicates, it's an armed exploration ship rather than a warship. The one mission featuring it was pretty frustrating to me until I realized that kiting the Onslaught around was pretty much the only viable tactic.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

Sucky Jack

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2012, 02:57:10 PM »

though a close second would be the venture. the cruiser that wants to be a carrier but fails at both being a cruiser with any power and a carrier.. and is slow as snot to boot. i have capital ships that are faster.

As much as I'd hate to say it, if you think the Venture is bad and not worth the cost then you are doing it wrong.  The only problem with it is that it's marketed as a close support cruiser when it has no right being one.

It is golden once you strip it and rearm it as Fire Support.  2 Pilum LRMs with expanded missile racks will allow them to be linked and have enough ammo to last any fight.  2 Dual Flak Cannons will tear through any strike craft or missiles that try to assault it or the retreating fighter wings.  A single Heavy Blaster is more than enough to deal with any nimble threats that break through the lines and hunt it down.

It costs the same fleet points as 2 Fire Support Frigates, provides the same firepower, has a carrier cap of 25 and more importantly has the hardpoints, armor and flux to defend itself should it come under fire.  It's far from a front line cruiser but park it's butt near the closest objective and have it rain fire down on the enemy fleet.  At which point it's slow speed doesn't even matter.

The only problem with this is that I can't find a damn thing to do with the 2 small missile mounts and I don't like having empty slots.  Maybe when Converting is put into place to allow for hardpoints to be removed or altered that problem can be fixed.  After all, if you could fit a T-Lance on it...  *drools*

Now, with that out of the way and ignoring the obvious problems with ships dealing with capacity that has no bearing on the game (Crew, Cargo and Fuel transports for example) I'm going to throw my lot in with the Eagle as my least favorite ship.  It's got a good balance of energy and ballistic weapons, decent shields and isn't costly for it's class.  But the problems sit with the stock variants only changing the missile loadouts and the Flux problems that arise if you put on heavier hitting burst weaponry.  It's all using medium hardpoints so it requires a drawn out fight, breaking the shields and beating down on the armor, it's too heavily reliant on missiles and it's so slow that destroyers and fire support will pick apart your targets before you reach them.  It requires fleet actions as it can't deal with more nimble Strike Frigates and Destroyers, yet that same fleet renders it useless.

It's a slow brick that can't have an effect on the fleet battles.  Though the hound is far too vulnerable to strike craft and missiles and the Brawler is picked apart outside of a fleet, both of them can find a specialized use at certain fleet sizes and against targets.  That is why the agle earns my vote for Worst Ship Ever.

hairrorist

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2012, 03:10:39 PM »

Venture rules.  It's the fastest vanilla carrier... outfit with longest range weapons possible and do not consider it a real cruiser.  Its a fire support all the way round.  I love that damn ship.
Hypervelocity cannons work well, and Pliums / Harpoons for missiles.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 03:19:15 PM by hairrorist »

ArthropodOfDoom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2012, 04:03:09 PM »

Tossup between the Hound and the Omen. I have personally used neither, but their performance against me is awful. But against an earlier post, I LOVE the Brawler. I have only ever had one, but I loved it while I had it. I think it is just fine for taking on capital ships in a frigate, and there is nothing like maulers and AM blasters to lay down the pain.
Let's say I'm captaining the ISS Slightly Lopsided Isosceles Triangle here.

powerbonger

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2012, 05:23:49 PM »

I have to agree with Sucky Jack and hairrorist, the Venture is pretty spiffy once tricked out with long-range weapons. Let it hang around at the back with its Pilums and your choice of good range cannons; it snipes and accepts fighters/bombers while the rest of your fleet merrily hunts on the front. Pretty effective.

That being said, isn't there a tanker frigate or something? I remember seeing one being sold at the station, and it seemed like a pretty good candidate for least favorite ship (will have to test that one out later).

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2012, 05:59:54 PM »

I'm not sure if the tanker should count, given its utility. Same reason I don't hold anything against the Apogee, I just... don't really see how you can hold hate against a utility ship.

Prof_Omnom

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2012, 06:07:13 PM »

Tanker

powerbonger

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2012, 06:14:36 PM »

I'm not sure if the tanker should count, given its utility. Same reason I don't hold anything against the Apogee, I just... don't really see how you can hold hate against a utility ship.

Hate is such a strong word :D but I see your point. I was operating on the assumption that its a least favorite ship to use on combat :P

In that regard, my least favorite ship to use in combat is the Buffalo Mk II. I can see how its weapons can make it respectable in certain situations, but having no shields for a ship that size is a pretty big downer for me. That, or I might be using it wrong (like the Falcon; I love how it looks, but I have little success with it so far).

I do use the Apogee as a flagship, currently. So far its performing well for me. So far.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7