Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Remove CR Penalty from hull damage BETWEEN sub-engagements  (Read 7340 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Remove CR Penalty from hull damage BETWEEN sub-engagements
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2015, 06:49:15 PM »

Regenerating CR in battle would probably mean unlimited CR, which means ship can stay in battle indefinitely, which defeats the point of peak performance and CR decay.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2015, 06:56:14 PM »

If anything I'd prefer the opposite: Hull damage reduce the CR immediately: That way you could feel the ships falling apart as they take damage instead of operating at full capacity when on the brink of exploding. Of course in that scenario, low tech ships would have a much lower CR cost to deploy to compensate.

If you remove the hull CR loss between rounds, you might as well remove it entirely.

I am in favor of removing it entirely; I don't think it actually adds anything to the game other than a hidden penalty. I am against ships losing CR in combat from damage because it gives further advantage to whoever already has the advantage - it lowers the chance of sudden reversals and further extends the "mop up" period at the end of fights where gameplay is dull.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2015, 12:03:40 AM »

Regenerating CR in battle would probably mean unlimited CR, which means ship can stay in battle indefinitely, which defeats the point of peak performance and CR decay.
It would obviously only regenerate the CR lost from the hull damage at the exact same rate... I don't understand what is complicated in that idea?

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2015, 01:11:35 AM »

If anything I'd prefer the opposite: Hull damage reduce the CR immediately: That way you could feel the ships falling apart as they take damage instead of operating at full capacity when on the brink of exploding. Of course in that scenario, low tech ships would have a much lower CR cost to deploy to compensate.

If you remove the hull CR loss between rounds, you might as well remove it entirely.

I am in favor of removing it entirely; I don't think it actually adds anything to the game other than a hidden penalty. I am against ships losing CR in combat from damage because it gives further advantage to whoever already has the advantage - it lowers the chance of sudden reversals and further extends the "mop up" period at the end of fights where gameplay is dull.

There's a good mechanical reason you get your CR reduced with hull damage. The recovery costs of the two are coupled, if you had at any point more CR than hull integrity on a ship, you could deploy that ship for free. The CR spend on that deployment would be recovered during the ongoing repairs. It's explained here in more detail.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2015, 08:46:31 AM »

There's a good mechanical reason you get your CR reduced with hull damage. The recovery costs of the two are coupled, if you had at any point more CR than hull integrity on a ship, you could deploy that ship for free. The CR spend on that deployment would be recovered during the ongoing repairs. It's explained here in more detail.

To me this seems less a good mechanical reason and more an edge case - one that could be easily fixed by going back to separate supply usage for recovering CR and recovering hull/armor.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2015, 11:38:17 AM »

Isn't combar readiness there so escaping, passing through storms and now using the booster, will not be something you do for free? I believe in battle ships that are not engaged in battle for like 2-3 minute, should not lose combat readiness for just flying around. I mean sure if there is a battle and the ship is hailed with buttlers and there is a chaos inside of it, people runnng around trying to keep the ship together, it indeed should lose it, but not just for flying around. Afar from that I find losing combat reading a nice mental image of the crew being all disoriented and thrown in a chaos.
Ignorance is bliss..

Pushover

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2015, 06:21:01 PM »

Isn't combar readiness there so escaping, passing through storms and now using the booster, will not be something you do for free? I believe in battle ships that are not engaged in battle for like 2-3 minute, should not lose combat readiness for just flying around. I mean sure if there is a battle and the ship is hailed with buttlers and there is a chaos inside of it, people runnng around trying to keep the ship together, it indeed should lose it, but not just for flying around. Afar from that I find losing combat reading a nice mental image of the crew being all disoriented and thrown in a chaos.
If there is no matched forces nearby, the CR timer does not tick down. So if a destroyer is fighting a lone frigate, it will not lose time on the CR. A frigate far from enemies does not lose CR time.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2015, 06:44:53 PM »

If there is no matched forces nearby, the CR timer does not tick down. So if a destroyer is fighting a lone frigate, it will not lose time on the CR. A frigate far from enemies does not lose CR time.

To be honest I never checked. Only seeing reports of my ships losing a lot of CR and when I would check the map they were just flying behind enemies, chasing them. I guess they were close so the captain was yelling at them to do stuff and they were losing their cool XD But if so, I feel that CR is fine as it is. I love anything that adds immersion :D
Ignorance is bliss..
Pages: 1 [2]