Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: When Losing a Comission, Treat like Armistice  (Read 4419 times)

Pushover

• Captain
    • View Profile
When Losing a Comission, Treat like Armistice
« on: December 14, 2015, 11:48:47 PM »

Potentially also a bug report, but I lost my Hegemony commission due to a smuggling investigation that I ignored. However, all factions that were hostile are still hostile, even after the armistice between the Hegemony and them. As well, once I picked up the commission again, and another armistice against the same faction was signed, it brought my rep to -10, even though I was at -75 when I signed the commission (implying that it held the maximum .

I would think that once you are kicked out of the faction, it would act like you made peace with the other faction, or at least after the Hegemony signs an armistice that you should still have your relations repaired.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: When Losing a Comission, Treat like Armistice
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 08:30:48 AM »

Potentially also a bug report, but I lost my Hegemony commission due to a smuggling investigation that I ignored. However, all factions that were hostile are still hostile, even after the armistice between the Hegemony and them. As well, once I picked up the commission again, and another armistice against the same faction was signed, it brought my rep to -10, even though I was at -75 when I signed the commission (implying that it held the maximum .

I would think that once you are kicked out of the faction, it would act like you made peace with the other faction, or at least after the Hegemony signs an armistice that you should still have your relations repaired.

Wouldn't that though be weird in it's own way? As a game, sure I can understand where you come from. Such events can end with you being blocked from doing anything, stuck between the hate of all factions. But as realism, I do not see it as ok. I mean I doubt other factions would warm up to you and you killing their own because your own faction kicked you out for making large amounts of profit from smuggling. If anything they would distrust you and not care if you end up dead. Same for not following your faction's commission and fight their enemies. I doubt they would warm up to you because your faction kicked you out for unreliability.
Ignorance is bliss..

Pushover

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 05:42:30 PM »

Presumably, the only reason the faction is hostile to you in the first place is the commission. Once that's over, you aren't exactly on good terms, but you aren't openly hostile either. I could see your rep going back to -30 or something, to show that they don't trust you. It doesn't really make sense that you get kicked out, the factions sign a peace accord, and the factions are cool with each other... BUT THAT GUY OVER THERE WHO WAS SMUGGLING AROUND OUR PREVIOUS ENEMIES, HE'S STILL #1 MOST WANTED!

I also think it would make sense if the commissions forced more rules of engagement, such as your rep will not drop below -75 unless you pursue fleeing enemies that you have already engaged.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 05:59:12 PM »

Presumably, the only reason the faction is hostile to you in the first place is the commission. Once that's over, you aren't exactly on good terms, but you aren't openly hostile either. I could see your rep going back to -30 or something, to show that they don't trust you. It doesn't really make sense that you get kicked out, the factions sign a peace accord, and the factions are cool with each other... BUT THAT GUY OVER THERE WHO WAS SMUGGLING AROUND OUR PREVIOUS ENEMIES, HE'S STILL #1 MOST WANTED!

I also think it would make sense if the commissions forced more rules of engagement, such as your rep will not drop below -75 unless you pursue fleeing enemies that you have already engaged.

Lol.. that made me laugh XD No, no. Of course not. I do not mean it like that. That would be silly, but amusing cause I can see it happening in real life. But tell me, if it is totally illogical to think that "OMG THAT GUY SMUGGLED OUT EX ENEMY! HUNT HIM LIKE NO TOMMOROW!", now logical would be the "Oh hey, now that we have a peace signed, look up the smugglers that were convicted from out enemies and remove them from the wanted list. We do not want to hunt down smugglers that are in no way associated either with us or the faction we just signed a peace treaty with".. yeah.. I doubt anyone would care or update the wanted list of recently convicted and thrown out of commission people.

Like I said, as a game I understand, because I do not think games should be really brutal with their players, but as a game that tries to be realistic and give the feeling of a rogue game, getting the short end of the deal does not seem bad. If anything, I can imagine your character in a bar, talking with the bartender and telling him how unlucky he was to get  get a commission and then smuggle, ending up with nothing but factions having him in their death list.
Ignorance is bliss..

Pushover

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 06:14:18 PM »

Like I said, it would make sense if the rep just went to -30 after an armistice was signed, showing that 'We don't trust you, but the war is over.' It's still pretty rough to lose 125 rep from a smuggling investigation, but getting stuck as Vengeful against a bunch of factions that would ordinarily go back to Suspicious does not make a lot of sense. You fight with the colors of one faction, but once you are no longer flying their colors, are they really going to stay hostile?

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 06:25:50 PM »

Like I said, it would make sense if the rep just went to -30 after an armistice was signed, showing that 'We don't trust you, but the war is over.' It's still pretty rough to lose 125 rep from a smuggling investigation, but getting stuck as Vengeful against a bunch of factions that would ordinarily go back to Suspicious does not make a lot of sense. You fight with the colors of one faction, but once you are no longer flying their colors, are they really going to stay hostile?

If you have never actively attacked them, I too feel that is annoying while playing. Indeed if you never were involved in the death of their comrades, I think the relationship should go to suspicious if you lost a commission. Wait what? If you never attacked them, how did you end up getting a negative reputation?

I am confused.

If you have a commission with a faction and peace is signed, your reputation changes to neutral.

If you are with a faction and you never attack their enemies, you eventually go to inhospitable status and lose commission, so what that faction does with other factions do not affect you anymore.

Smuggling gets you convicted and you become inhospitable with that faction and you lose your commission and when they sign a treaty, their actions do not affect you because they do not care if you get killed or what you did for them, since you were convicted for smuggling.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 06:30:51 PM by weltall »
Ignorance is bliss..

harrumph

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 07:10:24 PM »

If you take a commission from a faction that's already at war, you immediately go to hostile with its enemies. That does create one possible circumstance where the current behavior doesn't make sense: if you take a Hegemony commission, are set to hostile with Tri-Tachyon, and then lose your Hegemony commission without ever fighting, it doesn't make sense for TT to remain hostile.

In all other circumstances, though, the current behavior makes perfect sense. If your perfidious actions cause you to get kicked out of your faction and you've been raiding their enemies' shipping, you just went, ex post facto, from being a privateer to being a pirate. Of course everybody's going to hate you!

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 07:15:16 PM »

So taking a commission does make you hostile towards factions? I thought you keep your own ralations, but the faction you took a commission with keeps nagging for you to attack their enemies and if you do not become hostile, you start losing relationship with them and not the enemy nations. I mean one of the things I hated about commission was that i had to keep going and killing Hegemony's enemies so they will dislike me again, after they sighed a treaty.
Ignorance is bliss..

harrumph

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 07:26:42 PM »

Only taking the commission makes you hostile. If they start a war when you're already commissioned, you have to go commence hostilities on your own.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 07:40:13 PM »

I guess it makes sense for them to dislike you for getting a commission with their enemies and of course it would make as much sense for them to stop hating you if you did nothing negative towards them while having the commission.
Ignorance is bliss..