Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Civilian Hull Debuff: Why?  (Read 7989 times)

Blaze

• Commander
    • View Profile
Civilian Hull Debuff: Why?
« on: December 14, 2015, 08:25:00 PM »

I just don't get this debuff at all. I mean, civilian ships are common enough to be sold everywhere. If it's so common, why would it arouse MORE suspicion?

From a reasonable perspective it also makes no sense: a smuggler, spy, or other clandestine persons disguise themselves as civilians to stay hidden. Why does a peashooting paper-dingy arouse more suspicion than an armor-clad bristling-with-gunboat?

From a gameplay perspective, it means you can't use these ships because it's a giant "HERE I AM, COME KILL ME WHILE I'M TOO WEAK AND VULNERABLE TO USE ANYTHING BETTER.". Civilian ships WANT to get by unnoticed because they're being targeted by pirates.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: Civilian Hull Debuff: Why?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 08:30:57 PM »

My theory is that they have all sorts of features that add to the sensor profile but reduce the cost of the ship or give it other features. After all, they are CIVILIAN hulls thus bought by people not governments
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Cik

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 08:47:39 PM »

military hulls are built with more complicated, stronger and stealthier hull and armor plating, have more complicated drive systems adapted to move quieter for a military setting, etc.

i don't think it's a bad distinction to make, but perhaps making civilian hulls cheaper to offset the fact you are painting a big target on yourself wouldn't be amiss.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 08:54:53 PM »

No need to "silence" engine radiation, install stealth-improving armors or military grade sensors, etc I'd guess.

Sensor profile doesn't have anything to do with suspicion.

ChaseBears

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 01:32:35 AM »

it improves ship variety by expanding distinction between choices

your detection/detectable radius doesnt have anything to do with how much suspicion you engender~~
If I were creating the world I wouldn’t mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o’clock, Day One!

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 05:55:19 AM »

Really puzzled why tarsus freighter received civilian hull mod together will venture cruiser. Both seems more military than civilian ships by design considering their special systems and armor. At the moment we dont have pure military grade cargo hauler as mule is too costly to operate and essentially a hybrid.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 08:18:36 AM »

Sure we do, it's just that you dismissed them as too expensive. There's nothing wrong with using Hound, Cerberus and Mule as military hull cargo ships. Sure, they aren't as supply cost efficient, but they shouldn't be. That said, it's a little odd that the Tarsus has a Civilian-grade Hull, but then it should have 100 cargo space to compensate.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 08:24:34 AM »

Really puzzled why tarsus freighter received civilian hull mod together will venture cruiser. Both seems more military than civilian ships by design considering their special systems and armor. At the moment we dont have pure military grade cargo hauler as mule is too costly to operate and essentially a hybrid.

They are both used by civilians widely and not from military. It is not bad to see them marked with the debuff, making them actual civilian ships. I doubt it should be considered ok for civilian used ships to be constructed otherwise. The reason for it's design is explained in the lore of the ship.
Ignorance is bliss..

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 08:26:44 AM »

i don't think it's a bad distinction to make, but perhaps making civilian hulls cheaper to offset the fact you are painting a big target on yourself wouldn't be amiss.
Considering that it makes your whole fleet's sensor profile considerably larger, I think that all of the debuffs are really inappropriate.  Taking a Civilian hull ought to be about trading real utility and having a much higher risk of getting into combat you don't want to (i.e., slower speed in Burn) for combat ability, frankly.  

I also think that there ought to be a Hull Mod that slows you down even further but cancels out the Civilian penalties, sensor-wise; call it "Stealth Panels" or something; then you have a really direct tradeoff that's like Going Dark but is a lesser constant effect on speeds.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

ChaseBears

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 08:45:27 AM »

For some civilian ships you can get Skins that cancel out the civilian mod: 'hegemony militarized'.  I'm not sure it's available for the Venture, but I know it is for the Buffalo.
If I were creating the world I wouldn’t mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o’clock, Day One!

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 08:46:22 AM »

In the description, it is implied that during the time of the Domain, the Tarsus is a military supply ship that travels in convoys, making it odd that it wouldn't be built to the same stealthy standards as military ships. It wasn't intended to be used by civilians.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 08:51:33 AM »

In the description, it is implied that during the time of the Domain, the Tarsus is a military supply ship that travels in convoys, making it odd that it wouldn't be built to the same stealthy standards as military ships. It wasn't intended to be used by civilians.

Indeed, it was not intended, but ended up being used only by civilians. This is why I said that I doubt the military/faction will be ok with militarized cargo ships used by civilians. Thus the faction made sure they were refit with a civilian hull to avoid someone using it otherwise.
Ignorance is bliss..

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2015, 09:06:28 AM »

The Valkyrie is actually one of the ships I'd like to see buffed the most; it's a really cool sprite but an absolutely underwhelming combat ship and pretty much just exists as a stat-buffer and it still doesn't feel "military" or special.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

ChaseBears

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2015, 09:08:15 AM »

Passenger ships in general are limited in function atm~

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2015, 09:15:43 AM »

Totally off topic. This game makes me feel like it has limitless potential T_T I am so happy I saw it on youtube and decided to check.
Ignorance is bliss..
Pages: [1] 2