Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How Do You Put All Five Weapons Group On Automatically Controlled Autofire?  (Read 10958 times)

Mudanzas Valencia

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • mudanzas valencia

How Do You Put All Five Weapons Group On Automatically Controlled Autofire?

You can put group 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 on autofire, but because your cursor is always selecting one of the five groups (The Text is Highlighted in Green, and if Autofire is Toggled, the Green Box is Pulsating From Green to Dark Green) one of the groups is de facto autofire disabled, because you have direct control over one of the groups, and therefore autofire is disabled, even if it is enabled.

How do you set it so that all five weapons groups are on automatically controlled autofire, that is to say, all on autofire and none of them controlled by you, allowing the game's AI to control all of the groups?
si desea un presupuesto para su hogar o negocio
http://www.mudanzasvalemcia.com
Sus muebles, así como nuestra reputación en Valencia, tu empresa de mudanzas economicas.

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Set all the weapons on group 1/2/3/4 but not 5. That way, you can select the empty group 5 in battle and let the AI control the rest of the weapons.

Jude

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Is there even a big reason to have autofire weapons separated? I guess if you need to disable some of them for whatever reason.

I usually put them into different groups just out of habit, but I wonder if that's the only reason.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I disable weapons occasionally, especially most missiles and energy weapons with charges (autopulse laser, burst or guardian PD).

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile

Set all the weapons on group 1/2/3/4 but not 5. That way, you can select the empty group 5 in battle and let the AI control the rest of the weapons.
In 65.2 there was no need to do this as you could hit 6 and have all five groups autofire but now that seems to be fixed... (Just tested it with the paragon in forlorn hope mission)
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Mudanzas Valencia

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • mudanzas valencia

This will do thanks. Would be nice to have five groups though.
si desea un presupuesto para su hogar o negocio
http://www.mudanzasvalemcia.com
Sus muebles, así como nuestra reputación en Valencia, tu empresa de mudanzas economicas.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile

Also note that the AI chooses what weapons to fire by enabling and disabling weapon groups, so you can force certain behaviors by grouping things.

Achataeon

• Commander
  • ~stare~
    • View Profile

@Thaago:

What kind of behaviors exactly? I've been playing Starsector for quite a bit of a while now but I haven't tried doing that kind of thing.
"On average, a human has one breast and one testicle"
- Vsauce, Michael here

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile

Well for example you can separate out kinetic and explosive weapon groups, giving the AI the choice between them, or you can put them together and force them to fire as a group. Similarly you can switch missile from alternating to linked to have them fire as volleys (annihilator rockets are good like that). Lets see... on my Wolf I put my Ion Cannon in the same group as my PD so it always fires if fighters are firing swarmers at a high flux ship (putting a non-PD, anti fighter weapon in the PD group is often good because the ships will turn off the other guns at high flux).

All I can think of right now :).

Achataeon

• Commander
  • ~stare~
    • View Profile

Just imagined an enforcer having 4 linked reapers. Haha.

Nice new perspective I've got here.
"On average, a human has one breast and one testicle"
- Vsauce, Michael here

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: How Do You Put All Five Weapons Group On Automatically Controlled Autofire?
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 08:55:27 PM »

I did that for a while, but ran into a slight problem: I think if the reapers hit the shield on the same frame, they will all cause it to overload rather than 1 doing that and the next hitting armor. I'm not sure though.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 04:58:50 AM »

No, you are right. They all cause it to overload the shield. It's a shame that you can't change weapon control groups on the fly, because I would love to be able to change linked/alternate in the middle of a battle. Not to mention when you change command of your ships and find out that you forgot to set control groups for that ship and every weapon is on 1 control group.

I don't really see a reason why we can't have 10 control groups though, with the ability to press a button to make all weapons automated.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 05:00:59 AM by Plantissue »

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2015, 06:44:03 AM »

Does the overload duration get proportionally extended? if not, that is a bug, either in that the overkill is not taken into account, or the shield doesn't collapse before the second torpedo impacts.
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2015, 06:45:12 AM »

What i ususaly do is i set the ships missiles on group 1, and i will control this group myself as i don't trust the AI with valuable missile ammo, then i group all offensive small weapons together in group 4, all offensive medium weapons in group 3 and all large weapons in group 2, for group 5 i have all point defence in one group, since they all do the same thing and size dosn't matter. this has worked for me since version 0.3 and will probably work to version 1.0. :)

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2015, 06:49:46 AM »

Does the overload duration get proportionally extended? if not, that is a bug, either in that the overkill is not taken into account, or the shield doesn't collapse before the second torpedo impacts.
It can't collapse since two collision happened at the same frame. Overload duration should be extended accordingly tho. If not, yes, a bug.

Pretty noticable when you use Hurricane MIRV frequently - the subvehicles just overloading the enemy when it should have gotten a kill.