Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Help me, I'm a newb!  (Read 14049 times)

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Help me, I'm a newb!
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2015, 11:50:41 AM »

missiles are usually an afterthought

I know folk have preferences and everyone is different etc.
But I can't help but feel just a tiny bit:

Missiles are such a good investment of OP - lots of damage, long range, and no flux. And frequently can be fired without aiming as many of them are self-guided.
To each thier own I suppose....

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2015, 12:02:25 PM »

Before 0.65, missiles were mostly useless, mostly for being too slow.  Now, they are okay, or excellent for those with high Missile Specialization.

I would usually not use three shot Harpoons on a blaster Wolf unless I have nothing better to spend OP on.  One-shots are enough.  If I spend more than 1 or 2 OP on small missiles, they are Annihilators or Salamanders.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2015, 12:03:27 PM »

I have one suggestion only because of personal experience. Play 0.65.2a first. It felt much easier to me than 0.7+ and helped me learn the game and understand how it works more or less. For better or worse I played it modded though, making the Vanilla 0.7 I played feel... stale.. Well or more like I did not know what to do. It might just be me thought, but AI seemed easier and since it lacked all the complexity of transponder, burst speed and the map having proper fog of war (or however you call it) it was a really nice "tutorial" for me.
Ignorance is bliss..

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2015, 02:09:32 PM »

I don't recommend replacing the pulse laser with a heavy blaster for new players. For new players, the most important thing is to gain experience of  playing around as much of everything as you can and you can't really do that so effectively with the heavy blaster as it so suprisingly affects the wolf's flux. If you choose trader or smuggler, make sure you have at least speed 200 so you can always choose to run away from fights safely. You need to goto a base and choose to refit your ship and give it either the Safety Overides and/or Unstable Injector Hullmods. Also, i recommend not to follow Zenstratta's recommendations. there's a lot of interesting way to play and it is best to explore, rather than to follow one person's preconception.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 02:11:23 PM by Plantissue »

zenstrata

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2015, 02:43:19 PM »

It is true, my playstyle focuses on creating 1 super-ship and an energy weapon layout.  I do not do any trading because I do not find that interesting.  I also dislike having a fleet with me because I really dislike managing many different ships.  My suggestions will lead you down one specific path which I found I enjoy.  I have already played and experimented with practically every ship and load-out possible and the suggestions I gave reflect my personal interests.

This game can be played many different ways, some people fly around with large fleets of ships, others do trading with super-freighters and earn piles of credits very quickly.  Weapon styles vary drastically, some going for missiles, or energy, or ballistic, of varying combinations.  Some players use packs of frigates.  One of the neat things about this game is the variations which are possible when playing it.  So go out there and try things =)
Pages: 1 2 [3]