Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Question about Safety Override  (Read 2242 times)

NightfallGemini

• Commander
    • View Profile
Question about Safety Override
« on: December 11, 2015, 11:22:37 AM »

Considering the significant debuff SO gives to peak performance, what should I be using it on to get the most out of it?

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Safety Override
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 11:35:18 AM »

Guns, lots of guns.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 11:36:49 AM »

SO works very well in the early game, when you're fighting small battles and are unlikely to run out of time even with SO.

Late-game, SO works very well on pursuit ships; I keep a few specialized vessels around specifically for running down fleeing pirates.  I generally optimize these vessels for anti-fighter duty with limited heavy weapons (torpedos) to deal with larger retreating ships, since a retreating fleet that got even a single carrier off the main battlefield will have all of its fighters in play for the retreat.

I tend not to use it on anything larger than a destroyer; my cruiser builds typically rely too much on range for SO to be worth using.  (That said, I could see some good SO Eagle / Falcon builds, with machine guns and blasters...)

For main battle ships, a destroyer with SO and the hull mod for increased peak performance time will usually last long enough; I've had good luck with an aggressive captain on a medusa with heavy blasters and burst PD.  It does need to be retreated in some larger fights, but it can manage a quick node capture and generally takes out more than its weight in opposition before it starts to suffer from CR loss.

I haven't experimented with SO on a Sunder, but that should be reasonably effective as well, giving it the dissipation to handle heavy blasters or a plasma cannon.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 01:40:04 PM »

Use Safety Override for...
* Pure trade fleets - you do not need weapons, stack Unstable Injector and Safety Override on all of your so-called combat frigates and run from everything.
* Lashers - you are stuck with machine guns and LAGs, dissipation is not good enough, and Luddic Path are a threat.  Use Safety Override to even the playing field at worst.
* Pursuit frigates - it is a must to catch-up to faster targets if you want them dead.
* Anything with HMGs, chainguns, or other short-ranged weapons - if you have poor shot range, might as well stack more speed; great for Enforcers and Eagles.

Safety Override is useful on cruisers for endgame battles, if you cannot configure them for sniping.  Eagle with HMGs/Chaingun, Ion Cannons, and Burst PD, will rip through smaller enemies.

Gruu

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 02:51:22 PM »

My current favourite ship is an Afflictor phase frigate with SO, offset (hopefully - didn't' actually check the numbers!) with Hardened Sub-systems.
The premise is to cloak and fly fast through the enemy target, decloak and spin round shooting them in the engines with an Ion cannon turret, then sit behind them pummeling them with assault and rail guns.
Working remarkably well so far.

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 03:24:23 PM »

My current favourite ship is an Afflictor phase frigate with SO, offset (hopefully - didn't' actually check the numbers!) with Hardened Sub-systems.
The premise is to cloak and fly fast through the enemy target, decloak and spin round shooting them in the engines with an Ion cannon turret, then sit behind them pummeling them with assault and rail guns.
Working remarkably well so far.

i need to find myself an afflictor i didn't use them much before but with SO that sounds amazing.

Also Hardened subsystems does not 100% offset the debuff. And that is A LOT of OP just for a bit of extra time, but if you have nothing else to spend it on...
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.