Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Boarding Variation  (Read 1252 times)

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Boarding Variation
« on: December 11, 2015, 02:28:13 AM »

So, I've been doing a fair bit of privateering lately and I've noticed something that is a bit weird.

When a ship gets put up for boarding at the end of a battle, it almost always has a full skeleton crew of "survivors" on board.

I'm finding it a bit of a stretch to belive that basically the entire crew always manages to survive thier ship being wrecked around them.
And I miss the plain old dumb luck of the previous system where you could find a really nice ship which is almost empty.
(It didn't happen often, but when it did and you succeeded it made you feel boss as hell. Especially as a pirate and it was your big break.)

What I would like to see at some point in the future is some degree of variation in the number of crew on disabled ships, so it would be possible to find barely scratched ships with almost full crews AND barely held together wrecks with only a handful of survivors.

Personally, I'm finding the "you must have exactly this many marines to board <ship class>" to be a bit on the samey side. Not to mention it is basically impossible to board above your weight as you simply cannot carry enough marines.
I could see this being mildly annoying for privateers, but almost cripling for actual pirates who are more-or-less dependant on "dumb luck".

If it could be set to RND the number of surviving crew on a disabled ship to somewhere between 10% and 90% of a given ship's skeleton crew that would be lovely.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Boarding Variation
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 05:30:52 AM »

Cheap marines (worth about 250 credit each) at the black markets of Decivilized worlds needs to be toned down.  Just pick up 30 marines now and then, stockpile them, then sell or keep them to board ships.  Once marines are generally expensive, or at least the bargain markets less reliable, varying the survivors would be more useful.

So far, I have boarded several ships ranging from frigates to cruisers thanks to cheap decivilized marines.  I am almost tempted to get Advanced Tactics perk to make boarding even cheaper!

I do like the current boarding system much more than the 0.6 era of the roulette wheel of misfortune.  It feels much like boarding from pre-0.6, but not as common.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Boarding Variation
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 09:35:52 AM »

Yes. The cheap marine fountains def. need to be looked at. (both for this and the obscene amounts of cash you can get from them.)

This new boarding system is way way better than the previous one, and this is literally my only gripe with it.
Captured loads of ships, but never a cruiser or bigger as I just can't carry enough marines and the crew to run the ships.

It's not exactly a pressing issue, more of a "this would be nice someday" kind of thing.