Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Armor repair (0.7.1a) V0.1  (Read 1839 times)

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
Armor repair (0.7.1a) V0.1
« on: December 08, 2015, 06:04:50 PM »

In-combat Armor Repair.

Based on orost's 'Armor Repair Hullmod' Mod.
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8994.0

This mod makes all ships repairs armor and hull slowly in combat. more durable ships repair slightly faster, but take significantly longer due to larger armor and hull values.
Repair rate is increased by the repair system hullmod.
This is also far slower than the damage control level 10 perk.

-----
In the future, it will also run faster with higher levels of field repairs and damage control, once I figure out how to do so.

V0.1

[attachment deleted by admin]
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
Re: Armor repair (0.7.1a) V0.1
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 06:27:57 PM »

I have to ask, why make something like this... Not a hullmod?

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
Re: Armor repair (0.7.1a) V0.1
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 07:11:13 PM »

1) Because that mod already exists, and while it was cool, it wouldn't effect enemy ships, was weak, and costs OP points.
2) Because I wanted to make armor-based ships able to absorb damage, something that shield based ships tend to have a monopoly on early game. I didn't like not having the option of choosing low-tech ships due to them dying to extended range beam weapons.

After enough times trying to use low-tech ships and finding them to be hilariously fragile compared to high-tech ships, I wanted to make them more durable in a somewhat fair way. This changed my playstyle to be willing to take damage, rather than being terrified of anything scratching my armor.

Most likely this is because I am a rubbish player, and there is a way to fly low-tech frigates without them melting to literally everything, but I haven't figured it out yet. Beams simply make it so that they get torn apart. They can't dodge, or soak it on their shield, meaning that you have to outrange the beam. A patch a while ago made that infeasible. 1k beam range is pretty much able to match the longest vanilla projectile weapon in a medium socket.

That said, I had to make it pretty weak compared to what i've seen in other mods, otherwise it makes combat significantly slower. I certainly don't want to go to the level that Vacuum did, with ships that were both nearly impervious to damage and repaired any armor breaches in around 20 seconds.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 07:14:07 PM by Ranakastrasz »
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire