Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wasps and Other Fighters  (Read 5013 times)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Wasps and Other Fighters
« on: February 29, 2012, 01:56:30 PM »

So after playing the campaign a whole lot and the missions, I've formed the opinion that Wasps are a bit overpowered. Their description says they falter when they face more advanced or shielded fighters, but they really don't. The only fighter that can stand against them is the Xyphos, and even that is pretty even. At only 4 points and 200 speed, they are amazingly good.

One of the biggest problems is that, while the other fighters have the firepower to chew them up, they almost never hit because of a lack of target leading. As the Wasps have perfect aim with their lasers, this is an overwhelming advantage. Against capital ships they are less effective, but even then they are usually fast enough and maneuverable enough to cleanly disengage and survive, while other fighters decide too late and eat it.

What do you think?

cardgame

• Commander
  • Sonic Rainboom
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps and Other Fighters
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 01:58:52 PM »

Yeah, I think they should get a speed nerf at the least. Not really sure what else could be done besides giving AI better target leading.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 02:48:19 PM »

... they almost never hit because of a lack of target leading. ...

Just thought I'd address this because it seems to come up now and again. There is target leading, and it greatly depends on the level of the crew. To see it, try a wing of elite Broadswords - or, heck, put an elite crew on a Lasher - using with lowly Light MGs, they can pick off an insane number of incoming missiles, where a regular or green crew would be overwhelmed.

On topic, the Wasps are really good. Probably too good, but since there are going to be other factors in the larger campaign  - they're very easy to get just now, for example - I'm hesitant to make any significant changes.

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 02:52:14 PM »

im always extremely hesitant to put any experienced pilots in fighters because you can lose them just so easily..

they apparently forgot about pilot ejection technology in the far past at some point  :'(

if there was some why for my fighters (or even larger ships for that mater but more so for the fighters) to have some sort of escape capsule that would give the crew a chance of survival after destruction i would be less hesitant.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Zapier

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 03:19:11 PM »

I actually prefer using my elite crew in my fighters because I can give multiple wings many elite level capabilities with few crew. At the same time, it takes a whole lot more just to get crew experience up in larger ships, so I tend to use fleets with highly experienced fighters with regular levels in my other ships. Is there a greater risk of losing them? In one respect, yes. It's easier to pick off fighters. On the other hand, one bad moment in a larger ship could end up seeing dozens of experienced crew wiped out as well. I find risking the loss of 5-6 wings much less compared to one badly damaged cruiser that could potentially lose even more.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 03:27:06 PM »

I'd rather put elites in frigates, to be honest. They're strong enough to be safe, being that most frigates at least have shields, and they can be just as fast. 

Elites are very valuable. I never have enough of them.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 03:29:27 PM »

at the moment though. your not getting a lot of elite pilots trained .. if your losing elite pilots every conflict because there in fighters then your going to have a net loss and over time will just run out of them. and then it just wont matter where they are because you dont have any. i have managed to nurse a nice amount of elite pilots up in my game to the tune of about 160. they all stay on my flag ship because i feel devastated if i lose them due to how long one may have to wait to get more. even in large battles i may not get any or maybe 1. very rarely have i had more than one trained in a battle.. i think i had 3 trained in one really gnarly battle a while back.. but again i can only recall that happening one time.

one could say you could just reload if you lose any. and right now your right i could. but that is also a time sink. especially if i have to play out the whole battle again. and personally i try to do that as little as possible.. usually only if i get completely wiped out will i do that.

though i know everyone has there own reasons and preferences for putting elites in fighters or not... for me i dont do it because i get attached to them and i see it as a lost battle if im both losing ships and loseing my elite crew in a battle even if i come out on top. due to the time and effort it will take to replace them.

which brings me around again to the suggestion i made with escape pods... one could even vary the chance of one being used on the level of crew in the fighter.. green crew may be less likely to pull the eject handle than the elite crew who realize there in a situation with no hope.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

CenturionGMU

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 03:30:51 PM »

Ok heres a silly question. How do I put specific crews in ships?

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 03:40:33 PM »

On your fleet page, the first ships get the best crew.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

CenturionGMU

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 10:38:33 AM »

Much thanks

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 02:51:32 PM »

at the moment though. your not getting a lot of elite pilots trained .. if your losing elite pilots every conflict because there in fighters then your going to have a net loss and over time will just run out of them. and then it just wont matter where they are because you dont have any.

I've always wondered about this, due to the frequently high casualties on engagements, would the outposts that will be released in future versions have some sort of training facility that would, at least in some part, alleviate the high demands for skilled pilots and ship hands?
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

AdmiralMaelstrom

• Lieutenant
  • When death approaches, fire another volley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 07:20:49 PM »

Always put my elite crew in fighters and frigates. If you don't gain the control point right away you lose. How do you gain them first? Better fighters.

Also, Wasps are amazing right now... Thats why I have 17 wings of them in my fleet  :)
Whatever it takes, no matter the cost.