Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What is your oponion on Independent going war against Hegemony?  (Read 5879 times)

sycspysycspy

• Commander
  • Translator of the Council of AL
    • View Profile
What is your oponion on Independent going war against Hegemony?
« on: December 06, 2015, 07:44:34 PM »

As in 0.7.1a it seems Independent will declare war against Hegemony after a few months,  :-[ which must be a bad news for some of us who try to do trading between them. And I do saw independent are offering commission to the players, but do they even have a military market to let the player benefit from the commission?
Please report any translation error to me with PM.
- I just went over to my bank account and figured out I can live comfortably without working for the rest of my life as long as I die on next Tuesday.

Pushover

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: What is your oponion on Independent going war against Hegemony?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 07:48:01 PM »

Personally, I think the independent should not be considered as one faction, partly because they are extremely widespread, partly since they are only loosely connected with each other, and partly because many independent fleets are actually just independent traders.

There is a military market in the same system as Sindria.

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 10:32:30 PM »

I think it's more the Hegemony "going to war" against the Independent. They could be banning neutral shipping, mercenary work, etc. This is really more of a fluff issue than a crunch issue; the hostilities event should have text more along the lines of "The Hegemony is banning unofficial trading in all systems it controls. Independent community leaders are already protesting the ban, and there are rumors of planned anti-Hegemony terrorist activity."
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 12:53:01 AM by ANGRYABOUTELVES »

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 10:57:29 PM »

Its not so good. The Hegemony have declared war right now on the Indies and the poor Indies are getting their asses kicked - more than one Indie planet is right near some Hegemony planets/stations and they're just getting wrecked. My commission is with the Hegemony and I really don't want to take the big hit to reputation with the Indies so I'm just eating 5 rep loss with the Hege each month. =/

It is rather silly, imo, for the Indies to be considered a faction that can go to war.

Tomn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 12:52:24 AM »

I always thought that Independents were basically a placeholder until it was more practical and made more sense to create a bunch of much smaller factions for each independent one-planet-faction.  Possibly with a loose coalition mechanic layered on top of that to give them some resiliency against the larger factions.

Achataeon

• Commander
  • ~stare~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 01:33:40 AM »

Liking this influx of new players here.

Why not have Indies seperate per system? i.e. being hostile with Indies in Corvus would not make the Indies in Askonia be hostile to you.

This extends to the factions as well. The Diktats should only be hostile to the local Indies for *** them off, not to the entire Indies of the (currently) known sector. Becuase, ideally Indies are unaffiliated to the major factions and to each other. That's kind of why they're independents. At most, the loyalty they have is to their planet/station and only that.
"On average, a human has one breast and one testicle"
- Vsauce, Michael here

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 04:14:01 AM »

Nortia is depicted like a local rebel base. It makes sense Diktat get mad with them. Random bounty hunters in nearby hyperspace? That's a different matter.

Similarly, Hegemony being hostile with some of the indies al is totally fine, they aren't all-innocent-group, but why gunning down the patrols on Asharu? They already have enough problem with freaking asteroid rain.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 04:19:34 AM by Aron0621 »

Madao

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 06:08:06 AM »

I just spent today and yesterday engaging in a long drawn out war between the Hegemony and Independents. I loved it! Of course I seemed to have a different experience to you all, the Independents summoned several beastly fleets and steamrolled the Hegemony, to the point where we were only able to fight in smaller battles, joining forces to gradually beat back larger fleets guerrilla warfare style. Myself with my initial huge fleet of fighters had to gun and run several times to eventually wear down one fleet with the aid of my allies watching my retreat, the cost in repairs and supplies was enormous and ruined my bank balance but we eventually won, which was hugely satisfying. This was about the time I worked out an Eagle build that allowed me to more or less solo the fleets with more then a pinch of grit.. Pity.

What I found weirder was going back for 'anuvver go' and finding the little line at the bottom of the screen, Hegemony at war with Sindria whatsits, and suddenly the Independents were cool with me.. All water under the bridge. I had just totaled one of their fleets and now its all cool. I found that odd but likable.

In all, I love the mechanic. It made the universe feel alive, I also cared about the outcome of this spontaneous war I got involved with. Props.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 08:12:53 AM »

Are the independents in some kind of confederation or something?
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 08:25:59 AM »

Are the independents in some kind of confederation or something?
Nah. Read description on Intel in-game.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 12:01:09 PM »

I think the Independants should not be part of any wars/hostility for a single gameplay reason:
Not having them involved always gives the player a "safe haven", a place where they can resupply without getting thier rep pushed through the floor with everyone just in case they don't want to participate in the faction soap opera.

Access to military markets would be given on rep alone, but they wouldn't offer nearly as comprehensive a selction of equipment etc.
It would be nice if they still had a commission for flavour (and pirate hunting), but it would probably be cleaner from a mechanics standpoint if they didn't.

Spoiler
eg: The game I'm playing now I'm RP-ing a neutral bounty hunter - all I want to do is smack pirates around and collect named bounties (and nice hats).
Commissions are kryptonite for my spacedude, as accepting one would effectively close off huge swathes of territory for a length of time meaning some bounties become inaccessible.
Obviously this is something that I don't want to do.
Also it means that it is quite possible that the only place in the sector I can resupply without creating angry bees fleets is Eos, as it is the only "single faction" system in the sector.
[close]

harrumph

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 12:32:17 PM »

Liking this influx of new players here.

Why not have Indies seperate per system? i.e. being hostile with Indies in Corvus would not make the Indies in Askonia be hostile to you.

This extends to the factions as well. The Diktats should only be hostile to the local Indies for *** them off, not to the entire Indies of the (currently) known sector. Becuase, ideally Indies are unaffiliated to the major factions and to each other. That's kind of why they're independents. At most, the loyalty they have is to their planet/station and only that.

Seconded!

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 01:01:24 PM »

it makes sense for independents to not become hostile to any faction, though it would make sense that to compensate, their military markets are not as good. In any case, the black market exists, though I have never seen a capital in it.

heskey30

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2015, 02:30:35 PM »

It doesn't make sense lore-wise for the independents to be completely immune to conflict with any major factions. They are perfect targets for exploitation, and they are probably full of rebels and rabble-rousers. Being an independent captain should probably be less safe than signing on with other factions, especially the hegemony. I do agree that they should not be treated as a unified faction though.