Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: [0.7] and [0.7.1a] Unable to start with sound enabled, CTD, previously working  (Read 2476 times)

Aidante

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Hi Alex,

As the title suggests, I was able to load the game with sound on for version 0.7, with three mods installed [Lazy Lib, Common Radar, and Simulator Overhaul]. A day later, I receive a flicker and a crash after trying to launch the game from the launcher (and the .bat) similar to the Linux-starting-with-sound problem listed in the FAQ. I've since done a clean install and attempted to install v.0.7.1.a with the same result. The game boots normally with sound disabled in the launcher. I'm not aware of any system changes since I was previously able to run the game with sound yesterday! 

Relevant sections of the log seem to be as follows:

0    [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher  - Starting Starsector 0.7.1a-RC5 launcher
0    [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher  - Running in C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\starsector-core
0    [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher  - OS: Windows 7 6.1
0    [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher  - Java version: 1.8.0_60 (32-bit)
16   [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.launcher.ModManager  - Found mod: lw_radar [C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\starsector-core\..\mods\Common Radar]
16   [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.launcher.ModManager  - Found mod: lw_lazylib [C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\starsector-core\..\mods\LazyLib]
16   [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.launcher.ModManager  - Found mod: lw_asirb [C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\starsector-core\..\mods\Simulator Overhaul]
16   [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.LoadingUtils  - Loading JSON from [data/config/settings.json]
795  [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher  - Found display mode: 640x480, 60Hz, 32bpp

795  [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher  - Found display mode: 2715x1527, 60Hz, 32bpp
795  [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher  - Found display mode: 2715x1527, 60Hz, 16bpp
10920 [AWT-EventQueue-0] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.launcher.ModManager  - Saving enabled mod list [lw_radar|lw_lazylib|lw_asirb]
11766 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher  - Running with the following mods (in order of priority):
11767 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher  -     Common Radar [id: lw_radar] [version 2.1] (from C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\starsector-core\..\mods\Common Radar)
11767 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher  -     LazyLib [id: lw_lazylib] [version 2.1] (from C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\starsector-core\..\mods\LazyLib)
11768 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher  -     Simulator Overhaul [id: lw_asirb] [version 1.2] (from C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\starsector-core\..\mods\Simulator Overhaul)
11874 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher  - Mod list finished
11874 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.settings.StarfarerSettings  - Loading settings
11877 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.LoadingUtils  - Loading JSON from [ABSOLUTE_AND_CWD: null (data/config/settings.json)]
11889 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.LoadingUtils  - Loading JSON from [DIRECTORY: C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\starsector-core\..\mods\Common Radar (data/config/settings.json)]
11971 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.LoadingUtils  - Loading JSON from [DIRECTORY: C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\starsector-core\..\mods\Simulator Overhaul (data/config/settings.json)]
12247 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.graphics.OO0O  - Using refresh rate:60
13825 [Thread-5] ERROR sound.OoOO  - org.lwjgl.LWJGLException: Could not locate OpenAL library.
org.lwjgl.LWJGLException: Could not locate OpenAL library.
   at org.lwjgl.openal.AL.create(AL.java:151)
   at org.lwjgl.openal.AL.create(AL.java:102)
   at org.lwjgl.openal.AL.create(AL.java:201)
   at sound.OoOO$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
   at sound.OoOO.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$2.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
14018 [Thread-5] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: org.lwjgl.openal.AL10.nalDistanceModel(I)V
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: org.lwjgl.openal.AL10.nalDistanceModel(I)V
   at org.lwjgl.openal.AL10.nalDistanceModel(Native Method)
   at org.lwjgl.openal.AL10.alDistanceModel(AL10.java:1303)
   at sound.OoOO.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$2.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I note it references Java 32-bit - I recently updated Java to 8, but not before Starsector stopped working with sound. Any suggestions? Many thanks in advance!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Can you take a look at this thread?
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8022.0

Another possibility is that there's an OpenAL32.dll floating around in your Windows/System32 directory - a different version of it than the game comes with; might be worth a shot to rename it to something else and try running again.

Aidante

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Hi Alex - thanks for the prompt response! tl;dr: success! But a mystery as to why...

Interesting points: I didn't have my headphones fully plugged in and had tried to use external speakers, which coincides with the crashes starting - so the thread you linked to may have worked for me - after a computer restart with the headphones plugged in Starsector loaded fine with sounds and mods enabled - thank you very much!

I was also able to change to external speakers without a problem or needing a restart, though I also edited the name of the openAL file as you suggested in the windows/system32 directory (no effect, but I didn't restart until I discovered the headphone jack issue, so that might have been the contributing factor).

Either way, thanks again both for your hard work on making a great game and for responding so quickly!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Glad you got it sorted out. I'd by lying if I said I understood why that helped, but, alright.