Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Shorter 0.7.1a feedback  (Read 2314 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Shorter 0.7.1a feedback
« on: December 05, 2015, 11:32:58 AM »

First, I loaded my old saves to check out the Gryphon and Tachyon Lance.

Gryphon is difficult to use, but it can be very powerful.  Reaper Gryphon plays much like Reaper Aurora except instead of pounding enemies with blasters, it uses machine guns to break down enemy shield then shove missiles down the enemy's throat.  With less OP, you cannot fit Safety Override without giving up something more important.  With +30% OP and Optimized Assembly, you have barely enough OP to squeeze Augmented Engines, Expanded Missiles, and enough cheap weapons to function.  Gryphon feels OP starved like the Hammerhead, another ship that cannot quite get everything (unlike Enforcer and Dominator), and both Gryphon and Hammerhead could use an elite variant with more OP akin to XIV ships, if adding +5 OP to Gryphon and Hammerhead will not happen.

I will be brief on Tachyon Lance:  Without the EMP bug, this is merely a Phase Lance with +400 range; and it feels like a 20 or 22 OP heavy weapon, or even a 15 OP medium weapon.  It need to be unfair again (2500+ range, EMP bug, whatever) to be worth 32 OP and enough credits to buy a destroyer.  No need for me to say more here (because I ranted enough elsewhere).

I tried Easy just to check out sensors.  Fleets are easily visible on the screen.  Easy seems to be a viable option for those frustrated by Normal.

Satisfied, I started a new game on Normal, planning to ally with Tri-Tachyon now that they have two military markets and more enemies to shoot (for more commission rewards).  This time, my character is the "Blue" Power Ranger instead of the "Doom" space marine.

Pirates are more visible than in 0.7a, but they still appear a bit close for comfort, and I need to act fast or I get caught anyway.  I think I can still hold Shift and react in time, but I need to be highly alert for that.

Before I got a chance to suicide the shuttle for Lasher, I earned several thousand credits from an early fight (or two) and I played around more (since suicide was not profitable enough), building up reputation (up to favorable with Hegemony) and assets.  A little later, I spent enough to make the suicide exploit useful, so I tried it... and discovered I respawned in another system.  After more attempts, I finally respawned back in Corvus... in a Wolf!  Looks like Wolf is now a respawn choice now.  With random respawn location, suicide exploit is not so easy.  The main point of suicide exploit is to effectively trade cheap broken shuttles for 10,000+ credit frigates, but it seems easy enough to make money early, and more tedious to respawn back in Corvus.  Suicide exploit is still an option, but it is probably more trouble than it is worth unless you do it immediately after starting a game, which takes time away from the guaranteed bounty event.

Commissions are nice, thanks to more money (to offset what you lose by staying neutral) and accelerated reputation gain.  I got mine from Tri-Tachyon at level 20, and I ground pirates and the occasional Luddite in Magec.  I feel like I am playing Nexerelin.  All we need now is Industry and Outposts and maybe a way to destroy factions.

Overall, 0.7.1a is more forgiving than 0.7a.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Shorter 0.7.1a feedback
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 12:12:57 PM »

Ya, the minus 15 OP to Gryphon is pretty mean as that also reduces the scaling of bonus OP from Tech skills. Double whammy.

Tachyon Lance just can't seem to catch a break and I doubt we've seen it's final form. It'll be changed again, mark my words.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 12:21:12 PM »

My first whirl post 0.7.1a (on normal!) had me up to 30,000 credits after just a few days, maybe a week. I think Alex hardcoded a Jangala bounty as soon as you start the game so killing your first few pirates really eases off the supplies/maintenance shortage I kept experience pre-patch. If you get lucky with a named bounty in Corvus, this inflates this even more. A side-effect of the bounty at start is that if you hunt pirates early, you'll get up into welcoming territory with the Hegemony pretty quick and a new player will see the "Needs commission" stuff all over. This will make them say, "what's a commission?" which is a good thing.

Commissions, in general, are awesome and I love having a reason to hunt down anything not my faction. Not only is it a steady source of income, it's a surefire way to increase rep (which I found to be difficult pre-patch).

Sensors on Easy really gives you a boost and I was seeing things way, way further than I was used to. Pirates are also a lot easier to track down, even on Normal. There's simply more reaction time now and the learning curve dropped considerably. The early game is actually quite fun and a lot quicker, even on normal.

Psilous

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 08:41:04 PM »

The early game is actually quite fun and a lot quicker, even on normal.

Just started a new game...man oh man is this better on 0.7.1a!! So much more fun to actually win a few fights at the beginning.